Question: Best Place for Kirby Smart?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
People think he can't be a HC at Bama because of Dubose....

Does anyone think that Kirby is Dubose reincarnated? He seems to have leadership capabilities.....and he knows the Process inside/out.....

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
People think he can't be a HC at Bama because of Dubose....

Does anyone think that Kirby is Dubose reincarnated? He seems to have leadership capabilities.....and he knows the Process inside/out.....
It's not just DuBose. Name the assistants out there that went straight to big time jobs and ended up successful. Right now, I can think of one: Bob Stoops at Oklahoma. Does anyone know of someone else?

So, I think that's why some are hesitant. I tend to think Kirby Smart would do well as HC at Alabama, because of what you say about his knowledge of the program in place. No one is more well versed. I agree he seems to have good leadership qualities. But the HC position at a place like Alabama puts a tremendous about of pressure on a person. I can see both sides of the argument.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It's not just DuBose. Name the assistants out there that went straight to big time jobs and ended up successful. Right now, I can think of one: Bob Stoops at Oklahoma. Does anyone know of someone else?

So, I think that's why some are hesitant. I tend to think Kirby Smart would do well as HC at Alabama, because of what you say about his knowledge of the program in place. No one is more well versed. I agree he seems to have good leadership qualities. But the HC position at a place like Alabama puts a tremendous about of pressure on a person. I can see both sides of the argument.
Richt would be the only other one I can recall.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Question regarding this: Would you rather have CKS, who knows the "process" better than anybody take over for CNS OR would you rather hire Coach Dabo Swinney, who has some skeletons in his Bama closet (from those in the know) but has built a program and knows how to be a head coach???

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
Question regarding this: Would you rather have CKS, who knows the "process" better than anybody take over for CNS OR would you rather hire Coach Dabo Swinney, who has some skeletons in his Bama closet (from those in the know) but has built a program and knows how to be a head coach???
That is a tough one. Not sure about the skeletons you speak of , but Dabo has done a fine job at Clemson.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Jimbo after he got FSU back in order?

Is this a Kirby with experience or no experience elsewhere? If no experience, I'll pass. If he has experience and success elsewhere, I'll gladly take him.

No Dabo No! No Dabo No!

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
It seems he is content to stay where he is for now. He doesn't have head coach pressure and makes a very good salary which is pretty close to what he'd make as a head coach. USCe could be OK, but they have very limited recruiting area and Clemson seems to be on a roll right now. Maryland has the Under Armor guy behind them and a fairly fertile recruiting area around DC. If Maryland could just ditch those ugly uni's. Georgia may open up if Richt flops again at the cocktail party this weekend and this would by far be the best fit for him. It is a great recruiting area that he is already familiar with and obviously it is his alma mater. The only question is would UGA go after him as an asst rather than an established head coach.

He may want to go the same route McIllwain and try a smaller conference before moving to his final job. If he is successful there, AD's will come after him and offer a high salary to start when a good power 5 job comes open..

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
It seems he is content to stay where he is for now. He doesn't have head coach pressure and makes a very good salary which is pretty close to what he'd make as a head coach. USCe could be OK, but they have very limited recruiting area and Clemson seems to be on a roll right now. Maryland has the Under Armor guy behind them and a fairly fertile recruiting area around DC. If Maryland could just ditch those ugly uni's. Georgia may open up if Richt flops again at the cocktail party this weekend and this would by far be the best fit for him. It is a great recruiting area that he is already familiar with and obviously it is his alma mater. The only question is would UGA go after him as an asst rather than an established head coach.

He may want to go the same route McIllwain and try a smaller conference before moving to his final job. If he is successful there, AD's will come after him and offer a high salary to start when a good power 5 job comes open..
Maryland could be a decent job. Under Armor has said they're willing to fork over BIG $$$$$$ for Maryland athletics and they want to make Maryland the Oregon of the East Coast. IMO, those units (like Oregon's) are hideous but some of the kids REALLY like them. The weirder/more hideous, they seem to like them even more.

I'd think the standards would be pretty low, just get them to some bowl game and most Maryland fans would be as happy as pigs in poop.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

An excellent question, but I`d bet they`d give him an interview if he were interested (which I really can`t imagine him not being, if he`s indeed interested in being a HC at all).

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Probably best for Bama if CKS stays in Tuscaloosa but maybe best for CKS to get the HC experience @ UCF and wait for the Bama or Ga. HC positions to open up. I agree on not going to an SEC school like Muschamp and getting chewed up before he can get started. Who can say for sure, maybe CKS has the talent to pull it off in the SEC like Coach Jim McIlwain.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Ok, so Bob Stoops, Mark Richt, and Jimbo Fisher all were assistants whose first HC job was at a major power and they were by all measures successful. I mean, Richt has never won an NC, and we all make fun of him (with good reason), but he's been successful at Georgia.

So its not unfathomable that Kirby Smart could take over for Nick Saban some day and continue our run of dominance.

Just say no to Dabo Swinney. He's just right for Clemson. And I'll just leave it at that, as it's only my opinion anyway.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
UCF would be a great place to go to follow the Jim McElwain model.
Agree. I honestly think the best place for CKS is about 10-20 yards down the sideline from CNS. Not trying to degrade him; but some guys are just made to be coordinators and I think he's one of them. That said, if he's going to make the jump, UCF would be a great situation. That place is a diamond in the rough; and, with the right person, could shine brightly.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Depends on your definition of "big-time". By Bama standards there are only a few schools that qualify, but if you're willing to drop to the next level of programs there are assistants that have succeeded.

Bob Stoops - Oklahoma
Mark Richt - UGA
Jimbo Fisher - FSU
Dan Mullen - MSU
David Shaw - Stanford
Mike Gundy - Oklahoma State
Charlie Strong - Louisville (pre-Texas)
Kyle Whittingham - Utah
Dabo Swinney - clemson
Joe Paterno - Penn State
Tom Osborne - Nebraska
Barry Switzer - Oklahoma
Barry Alvarez - Wisconsin
Nick Saban - Michigan State (sort of, 1 uneventful year as Toledo HC sandwiched in between NFL assistant jobs)

Still, I mostly agree with your point and would prefer someone with HC experience to replace Saban when the time comes, just wanted to show off my Google skills.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Depends on your definition of "big-time". By Bama standards there are only a few schools that qualify, but if you're willing to drop to the next level of programs there are assistants that have succeeded.

Bob Stoops - Oklahoma
Mark Richt - UGA
Jimbo Fisher - FSU
Dan Mullen - MSU
David Shaw - Stanford
Mike Gundy - Oklahoma State
Charlie Strong - Louisville (pre-Texas)
Kyle Whittingham - Utah
Dabo Swinney - clemson
Joe Paterno - Penn State
Tom Osborne - Nebraska
Barry Switzer - Oklahoma
Barry Alvarez - Wisconsin
Nick Saban - Michigan State (sort of, 1 uneventful year as Toledo HC sandwiched in between NFL assistant jobs)

Still, I mostly agree with your point and would prefer someone with HC experience to replace Saban when the time comes, just wanted to show off my Google skills.
Well I limited it to "big time" because we're talking about Kirby Smart and whether or not jumping into such a position is wise or not. There are pressures at every school, but when you get to that elite level of expectations, the pressure is exponentially greater. IMO, building a winner at Louisville is much easier to do that at Alabama, even though your recruiting ability is far greater at Alabama.

Still, your list is worthwhile to look at because it shows that it is doable, even if it is rare.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've never talked to Kirby, but my guess is he will be in Tuscaloosa next season. If he wanted a head coaching job, I think he would be already gone. It's not like he's had a breakout season this year...his credentials have been top notch for the past five or six years. What makes this year any different from the others?

As others have pointed out, he makes head coach type money without the pressure. Maybe he likes it that way.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
If I were Smart I would stay at Alabama until Saban made it clear that he was getting ready to retire. He makes head coach salary to be a DC, and none of the pressure. The day that he takes on his first head coaching gig, his life changes forever - and maybe not for the better.

Enjoy a good thing while you can.
Totally agree! Smart has it made right now, whether he knows it or not.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
After the reign of a very successful coach like Coach Bryant or Coach Saban, I think it is very difficult and maybe impossible to continue the success at the same rate or even close to it.

However, after Wallace Wade, Coach Thomas did a great job. After Coach Thomas, we didn't do so great. The only great thing that happened at Bama between Thomas and the "Ears" man was that trouncing of Syracuse in the Orange Bowl.

After Coach Bryant, we were in the Wilderness for quite a while until someone in their right mind hired Coach Stallings. Perkins was a strong personality, but he was not in it for the long term, apparently. I guess he tried to just do it HIS way and tear down Coach Bryant's tower. Instead of tearing it down, he should have embraced it. Maybe he was not strong enough or just wanted to head back in the NFL.

I don't know if I'd want to be the one to follow Coach Saban unless you are a very good (outstanding) coach and a very strong personality. You must be a great leader, motivator, administrator, strategist, and very intelligent. Is Kirby Smart that guy. I just don't know.?!

Hopefully, the Alabama fans will not seek to use the internet to influence the decision maker/s. Didn't that happen with the decision to hire the 1st Mike of the 21st century? Then the 2nd Mike was Rolling with the Tide or whatever and didn't even coach one game. One of the very few things I enjoyed about the third Mike was that drubbing of Pope Urban and the Gators. I think the third Mike was a classy person, but the job was just toooooooooo big for him. He just did not have the experience to be in that job. Is the job toooooooo big for Kirby?

So, the bottom line, we need a very strong personality to replace a very strong personality. We need a great leader, motivator, administrator, and strategist who is very intelligent. That person needs to have a PLAN like The Process! Otherwise we could end up in the Wilderness for a few years with a few coaches until we have the RIGHT one. So, if you do not have the qualities to be a great success, do NOT apply. We need to get the very BEST and PAY him.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
It is pretty amazing Kirby will only turn 40 in December.

He makes a lot of money (maybe only Chavis makes more as DC, I don't know), likes Tuscaloosa (born in Montgomery)......why worry about the headache of being a head coach right now? He will have his chance when he wants it.....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.