Question: Best Place for Kirby Smart?

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
I was wondering what I would do, if I were Kirby Smart.
Great job as a recruiter - and defensive coordinator.
Now there are some good jobs opening up -

So, if I choose this is the year I need to leave, which job opening would I best be suited for?

I'm not so keen on USCe - don't think they are putting their SEC money into facilities, etc to compete with the big boys.
USCw - just won't happen without HC experience.
Miami - no one really cares down there.

I'm thinking Maryland might be a good place for him - they are now starting to get those big bucks from the conference and can start upgrading facilities, etc.
Or maybe UCF - might be a great place to go for a couple of years to get HC experience, then, come back here when Saban retires.

Your thoughts?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If I were Smart I would stay at Alabama until Saban made it clear that he was getting ready to retire. He makes head coach salary to be a DC, and none of the pressure. The day that he takes on his first head coaching gig, his life changes forever - and maybe not for the better.

Enjoy a good thing while you can.

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
I doubt we will promote him to HC when Saban leaves without HC experience - He needs that someplace first.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
South Carolina. It's in the SEC. He doesn't have to win as much or more than Spurrier. He just has to show that, unlike Muschamp, he can run a competitive program. As the current Florida coach can attest, a little success plus the Saban pedigree will carry you a long way. Earle and other insiders might beg to differ, but I don't think Kirby's odds of getting our job are better than even money unless he goes somewhere else first.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Yep, stay at Bama. One of these days he needs to take a job like Coach Mac did (Colorado State) instead of jumping into a bigtime pressure cooker right off the bat like Muschamp did.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
If he goes - and I hope not - UCF is probably a very good situation. State of FL to recruit, on-campus stadium, a not-so-tough conference . . . He could make the inevitable new head-coach mistakes and probably cover them simply by getting plenty of state talent, adding in parts of GA and SC.

We will miss him when he goes. Enormously.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
After Florida beats UGA this weekend and they lose to Tech, they'll Fire Richt and he'll go to Miami with Smart at UGA! LOL [emoji12]

Hey, crazier things have happened!

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
In general, I think its good for assistants to go to smaller schools first to learn how to be a HC. So if I were advising Kirby, I'd tell him to choose a smaller school where the pressure to win immediately isn't great. That would allow him time to figure out how to be a HC and begin refining his approach. It also allows him the opportunity to spend some building a reputation other than "Nick Saban's DC". After a few years, assuming he's done well and built a successful program, as jobs come open pick the one you like and lets get after it.

Looking at the positions open at this point in the season, I'd agree with bama579 that UCF is the most attractive. Solid program despite this years performance, new AD coming in at the same time (his fate will be tied to you, hence I would expect lots of support from the AD) and excellent recruiting area. I could see Kirby having lots of success at UCF.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
UCF would be a great place to go to follow the Jim McElwain model.

South Carolina isn't the same as Florida, as far as pressure to win goes, but it's still an SEC school that has gotten used to winning over the last several years. They will expect to get back to competing for the East again. In other words, there will still be a great deal of pressure there and the recruiting isn't going to be easy. IMO, Spurrier got lucky that he had generational talents (Clowney and Lattimore) right in his back yard. Getting them to stay home helped bring in other supporting talent. The next South Carolina coach is going to have to go up against a Clemson program that is as high as its ever been. Although Georgia would seem ripe for the picking as they always are with a floundering Mark Richt.

Anyway, I'd prefer he stay at Alabama. I agree with B1G. Getting that HC job may change your life in ways you didn't want.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
If I were Smart I would stay at Alabama until Saban made it clear that he was getting ready to retire. He makes head coach salary to be a DC, and none of the pressure. The day that he takes on his first head coaching gig, his life changes forever - and maybe not for the better.

This is what I'm thinking as well!

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I agree, but he will get other HC opportunities whenever he leaves. Why the rush?
It's not about being in a rush to leave, it's about finding the right situation. If CKS finds the right situation then he will leave. He interviewed for and was nearly given the AU job a couple of years ago.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I do agree that if he finds the right situation he will likely leave. Just not sure what he is looking for there. I tend to agree with the folks in this thread pointing away from P5 conference schools for his first HC gig. If he stays in a P5 conference, it would have to be an ideal situation.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Exactly. I've stated before that in his position why would one give up the gig. A million plus per year and able to concentrate on the one thing you've excelled in for years. Always gonna have top tier talent, facilities and tradition. Whether or not he's considered as Bama HC upon CNS retiring shouldn't bother him. He should be financially set and could wait on the right gig if not available at that moment.

Why leave?

RTR!!!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If he goes - and I hope not - UCF is probably a very good situation. State of FL to recruit, on-campus stadium, a not-so-tough conference . . . He could make the inevitable new head-coach mistakes and probably cover them simply by getting plenty of state talent, adding in parts of GA and SC.

We will miss him when he goes. Enormously.
Absolutely agree, I made this same comment in another thread. He can build his own program in a very weak conference.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
My memories not what it used to be. Has CKS stated definitively that his ultimate goal is a HC position? At Alabama- gobs of money as DC, great fan admiration, good at what he does, no HC pressure ? That`s a damned good career gig on its own.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.