Auburn leading the SEC in providing free bulletin board material

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I don't really think he was talking smack. Just did a bad job articulating what he meant. I'm sure in his mind you treat Treadwell just like other normal receivers. You watch the tape and then go out and do your assignments on the plays.

Standard AL.com click bait.

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
I don't feel like it was smack. I really feel that way about all of the examples they gave in the article. I am as anti-Auburn as anyone on here but that article is pointless and trying to make something out of nothing.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As usual, the smack talk is when only part of the comment is given. When he was speaking to the media, this was the quote that got people upset:

He's a regular receiver like everybody else.
Then, some came back and said "Hold up. Look at the entire quote."

"He's a regular receiver like everybody else. You watch him on film and you study him and you go out there and play... He's a competitor just like all of us. I expect him to come out fired up and with an intensity. We have to match and bring that same intensity."

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
The crux of the article is in these three paragraphs:

"In my opinion, Jones, Lambert and Ford were not trying to trash their opponents. Nevertheless, their words ended up in headlines -- and more often than not readers don't take the time to go through full articles these days or watch videos to see the remarks themselves. This is especially true on social media and most notably Twitter, where users are limited to 140 characters per message.

I'd be willing to bet Gus Malzahn and his staff do their best to make sure their players are not intimidated when they face the country's top talent. They likely encourage the Tigers to look at elite players as "just another guy" to calm their nerves.

The issue is, that attitude seems to be spilling over into press conferences. Auburn provides interview training for its student-athletes and probably needs to reteach some practices so the Tigers don't come off as cocky."

I.e., on closer inspection, it doesn't appear like intentional smack talk, but there's a systematic error here where the coaches are basically putting words in these kids' mouths that make what they say come across like it does.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
As with most all media outlets in today's time, they cut out little sections of a conversation and post it, which then gets taken way out of context. Their way of generating something from nothing IMHO......

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I can see how his comments are taken as smack talk, personally, it sounds more like cockiness & The Tiggers from Lee County has no room to be cocky at this point of the season..I actually hope The Tiggers beat Ole Miss this weekend cause then when we win out thie rest of the year..We will play for The SEC Title & go on into the NCAA Play-off's..

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The crux of the article is in these three paragraphs:

"In my opinion, Jones, Lambert and Ford were not trying to trash their opponents. Nevertheless, their words ended up in headlines -- and more often than not readers don't take the time to go through full articles these days or watch videos to see the remarks themselves. This is especially true on social media and most notably Twitter, where users are limited to 140 characters per message.

I'd be willing to bet Gus Malzahn and his staff do their best to make sure their players are not intimidated when they face the country's top talent. They likely encourage the Tigers to look at elite players as "just another guy" to calm their nerves.

The issue is, that attitude seems to be spilling over into press conferences. Auburn provides interview training for its student-athletes and probably needs to reteach some practices so the Tigers don't come off as cocky."

I.e., on closer inspection, it doesn't appear like intentional smack talk, but there's a systematic error here where the coaches are basically putting words in these kids' mouths that make what they say come across like it does.
Great point. I may not notice but I don't see our players making comments that can be construed as smack talk. They are taught well in that area.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Similar to how what Cameron Sutton last week came across as him regurgitating what the UT staff had been preaching to them in order to give them some confidence.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I think this is one of the reasons Coach Saban won't let freshmen do interviews. I'm guessing they take their freshman year learning how to talk to the media. The media will jump on any comment and construe it to be smack. Click bait indeed.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
You know the media are out of hand when their conduct is so egregious, it makes an Alabama board defend Auburn players.

Just another brick in the wall of evidence that true journalism is at best on life support, and probably brain dead.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
You know the media are out of hand when their conduct is so egregious, it makes an Alabama board defend Auburn players.

Just another brick in the wall of evidence that true journalism is at best on life support, and probably brain dead.
I truly and totally agree about trash journalism. Al.Com is a joke they have not kept a Alabama beat reporter for more than 2 years the last 6 years. I was surprised to see on the Aubarn board where they were totally trashing the site. In a interesting note which many of them dont recall or know the Editor of the Bham News where the Alabama and Auburn beat reporters are employed is a Aubarn grad.

I miss the old days of the morning and afternoon papers and yes I love the internet but the reports the guys put on ink and paper back in the day was a lot more readable that all this filler junk. As much as I despised Finebaum he was at least funny to read , he did not and does not know a flipping thing about football, but people read his column. And I would place current journalism on DNR . Do Not Resuscitate.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I truly and totally agree about trash journalism. Al.Com is a joke they have not kept a Alabama beat reporter for more than 2 years the last 6 years. I was surprised to see on the Aubarn board where they were totally trashing the site. In a interesting note which many of them dont recall or know the Editor of the Bham News where the Alabama and Auburn beat reporters are employed is a Aubarn grad.

I miss the old days of the morning and afternoon papers and yes I love the internet but the reports the guys put on ink and paper back in the day was a lot more readable that all this filler junk. As much as I despised Finebaum he was at least funny to read , he did not and does not know a flipping thing about football, but people read his column. And I would place current journalism on DNR . Do Not Resuscitate.
Agreed with all the anti-journalism posts. It has turned into a who can get the scoop first and damn the research. You can not take any report seriously anymore. I've given up on getting accurate information on any story.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.