If Kiffin leaves, who would you like as Off Coord?

Status
Not open for further replies.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm using the term 'power game' to describe the schemes used to open plays - the OL blocking. We've run a lot of power this year, and it can be run with even scat backs in the backfield. But we move away from it too often. When our guard is pulling and everyone is hitting their blocks, we can drive trucks through the holes created - yet we pass the ball or run jet sweeps.
And we have the most plays for losses in the country. I would say out of those plays more come from running regular runs than jet sweeps and sacks. Our ol isn't playing very well right now.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm afraid you're right on both of those last two points. I think Cam is dinged worse than made public and the rest of the conference has had a year to compile the "book" on Kiffin and his tendencies are known. I also just don't know about our OL coaching. It just seems that we're doing less with more than a lot of other teams. Then, you have the factor that the OC is at odds with every single coach under him. I know that, with what we have at RB and OL, we shouldn't have to resort to passes from the two...
Just a reminder when discussing poor play by particular position groupings on the offensive side of the ball.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Just a reminder when discussing poor play by particular position groupings on the offensive side of the ball.
Does this come from a difference in philosophy? Opinions on how to play to our strengths? Or something completely different?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
And we have the most plays for losses in the country. I would say out of those plays more come from running regular runs than jet sweeps and sacks. Our ol isn't playing very well right now.
Most of those aren't from power plays, though - just guys getting blown up or missing blocks. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I suspect our power game has been effective.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I really haven't a clue. Just speculation, but when things don't go your way, it's easiest to blame someone else, particularly when that "someone" is the whole offensive staff...

CrankyFranky

Scout Team
Aug 5, 2004
Gadsden, AL
Kiffin and Nussmeier weren't surprises, in my opinion.

Looking out West is where the last 2 came from, so you may be onto something there. I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Groh get a shot, if we don't promote from within (Napier).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
There were rumors when Groh left Bama, that CNS told him not to sell his house.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
​Maybe we could get one of those Big 12 coordinators, cause winning games 70-53 or such looks pretty fun to me.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
What about Philip Montgomery? Tulsa's current head coach? He was Baylor's OC and WR coach prior to getting that Tulsa job. If Saban wants to "change with the times" then Montgomery makes all the sense in the world.

Have you seen how fast hes turned Tulsa around? In only one season there his offense is putting up points. Tulsa gave Oklahoma headaches earlier in the year too.

By the way, Montgomery also recruited RG3, Bryce Petty and Seth Russell. Hes also why QB Chad President broke off his commitment with Houston and went to Tulsa instead. Good QB's always follow this guy around.

Montgomery was under Art Briles for over a decade in various places. That offense Baylor runs and now that Tulsa runs, is just as much his than Briles. In other words, hes one of only a handful of coaches that truly understands that offense.

Either way, Montgomery gets my vote. I think he'd leave the HC job in Tulsa for an OC job here if the money was right.

Last edited:

WildTusk

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 26, 2009
A pipe dream and out of the box idea is Kurt Warner. He was the one calling the plays for his team in the NFL when they were winning. Plus he may end up being a guy who can get the most out of our QBs. He has zero coaching experience however.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
who ever the OC is, they will also be the QB coach. so all these high flying offensive OC's that are also the WR coach to me is not a realistic idea. we already have a WR coach. a pro style OC in college is going the way of the dinosaurs, so I would keep an eye on the nfl for who is available or looking for a new gig.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
who ever the OC is, they will also be the QB coach. so all these high flying offensive OC's that are also the WR coach to me is not a realistic idea. we already have a WR coach. a pro style OC in college is going the way of the dinosaurs, so I would keep an eye on the nfl for who is available or looking for a new gig.
We need something that's going the way of the dinosaurs then? I get that everyone wants to see an overpowering run game again, but stale schemes and booted coaches probably aren't going to help there.

I'm not generally opposed to what Kiffin wants to do with the offense. He struggles in execution at times obviously, but the overall scheme seems fine. As for the running game, I know what I'd do to fix it, and it all has to do with a coach not named Kiffin...

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
We need something that's going the way of the dinosaurs then? I get that everyone wants to see an overpowering run game again, but stale schemes and booted coaches probably aren't going to help there.

I'm not generally opposed to what Kiffin wants to do with the offense. He struggles in execution at times obviously, but the overall scheme seems fine. As for the running game, I know what I'd do to fix it, and it all has to do with a coach not named Kiffin...
What do you mean by "going the way of the dinosaur"? Because NFL offenses still largely run pro-style or one-back offenses, not the HUNH spread that is prevalent in college. Several NFL OCs and QBs have noted that they don't care for most the spread QBS because they are not as prepared to play at the NFL level.

If we continue to utilize the pro-style/one-back/power running game, I think that makes us an attractive destination for recruits who want to be prepared to enter the NFL and have success. I don't think that type of offense is stale.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What about Philip Montgomery? Tulsa's current head coach? He was Baylor's OC and WR coach prior to getting that Tulsa job. If Saban wants to "change with the times" then Montgomery makes all the sense in the world.

Have you seen how fast hes turned Tulsa around? In only one season there his offense is putting up points. Tulsa gave Oklahoma headaches earlier in the year too.

By the way, Montgomery also recruited RG3, Bryce Petty and Seth Russell. Hes also why QB Chad President broke off his commitment with Houston and went to Tulsa instead. Good QB's always follow this guy around.

Montgomery was under Art Briles for over a decade in various places. That offense Baylor runs and now that Tulsa runs, is just as much his than Briles. In other words, hes one of only a handful of coaches that truly understands that offense.

Either way, Montgomery gets my vote. I think he'd leave the HC job in Tulsa for an OC job here if the money was right.
Before Kiffen, this is the kind of guy that CNS seems to target...an up and comer!

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Before Kiffen, this is the kind of guy that CNS seems to target...an up and comer!
Montgomery also knows Texas talent inside and out.

It would be kind of hard to fathom Baylor's style of offense in Tuscaloosa though, lol. It would be fun to watch.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
Montgomery also knows Texas talent inside and out.

It would be kind of hard to fathom Baylor's style of offense in Tuscaloosa though, lol. It would be fun to watch.
I'd have to disagree. I like to watch the Defense squeeze the life out of the other team and that never happens with an offense like Baylor's. JMO, though.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Don't really care. I think there should be plenty of room for imagination that is based on a physical running game and PA passing with an occasional "over the top" long pass. An O that supports a strong D by sustaining long drives that can still hit quickly if the opposing D misplays an assignment etc. People like Montgomery and other probably could adapt their skill set re: play calling to this O which is what I believe CNS prefers. Its been proven that you can still recruit to this style. JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.