If Kiffin leaves, who would you like as Off Coord?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think you're right and I think he'll continue to move the pieces of the puzzle around until we get the objective we want on the OL. We are not lacking the talent on the OL. I look around the league and I see OLs performing more competently (except maybe when playing us) than ours are against inferior opponents, AND their material is, by and large, less highly regarded out of HS than ours. Based on past performance by CNS, something's got to give...
Think it's a mixture of things: predictable play calling, OL injuries, and OL missing blocks.

Heard an analyst say last night an OL in the particular game was missing blocks because the defense was shooting the gaps when the guards pulled or when the line blocked for a zone run.

Seems like that is exactly what is happening to Alabama. The question that needs to be asked then - how can that be prevented?

Can't fix the OL injuries. That's one component that isn't changing.

Are defenses shooting the gaps because they know the plays before they happen? Seems like the most plausible reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Think it's a mixture of things: predictable play calling, OL injuries, and OL missing blocks.

Heard an analyst say last night an OL in the particular game was missing blocks because the defense was shooting the gaps when the guards pulled or when the line blocked for a zone run.

Seems like that is exactly what is happening to Alabama. The question that needs to be asked then - how can that be prevented?

Can't fix the OL injuries. That's one component that isn't changing.

Are defenses shooting the gaps because they know the plays before they happen? Seems like the most plausible reason.

I'm afraid you're right on both of those last two points. I think Cam is dinged worse than made public and the rest of the conference has had a year to compile the "book" on Kiffin and his tendencies are known. I also just don't know about our OL coaching. It just seems that we're doing less with more than a lot of other teams. Then, you have the factor that the OC is at odds with every single coach under him. I know that, with what we have at RB and OL, we shouldn't have to resort to passes from the two...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Devils advocate on Kiffin: Is our play calling predictable because of the maturity of our QB's or just lame play calling?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Devils advocate on Kiffin: Is our play calling predictable because of the maturity of our QB's or just lame play calling?
I'd guess a little of both. Some of it seems to be Kiffin being overly complex in certain situations, but Coker's a first year starter and you would expect more vanilla play calling to aid in his development.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Probably not any different from last year. Blake just had the luxury of having a record-setting WR.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
FWIW, the LBs shooting the gaps are not doing so at the snap. They are reading the play after the snap and then shooting the gaps. You have faced a few very good MLBs in the last few games, and LSU has one of the best in the business. So this is going to be a concern in your next game.

I have watched your O-line and formations and can't pick out an obvious key, but this has happened in too many games this season for it to be written off as great LB play. They are seeing something which is giving away the play.

Have you simplified the offense for Coker?

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
If as others believe, Saban stays with the more open offense, Eric Morris from TX Tech. Worked under Sumlin and Leach before being hired by Kingsburry. Only issue with him would be we'd need a QB coach since he has always coached WR's. He could take TE along with OC, fire Williams and hire a QB/ST coach.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It doens't help that we'll break in a new qb next fall too.

Assuming it's BB (I know there's no garuantee on that) let's just hope he's a fast learner!!!

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I'd love to see Pep Hamilton, former Stanford OC, and, according to some reports, the soon-to-be former OC of the Colts.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm afraid you're right on both of those last two points. I think Cam is dinged worse than made public and the rest of the conference has had a year to compile the "book" on Kiffin and his tendencies are known. I also just don't know about our OL coaching. It just seems that we're doing less with more than a lot of other teams. Then, you have the factor that the OC is at odds with every single coach under him. I know that, with what we have at RB and OL, we shouldn't have to resort to passes from the two...
This is something that everyone should consider when discussing the offensive issues.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I don't see Norm hitting the recruiting trail to the extent that Bama coaches do. I do, however, like the offense he ran at USC.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
What about Norm Chow?

He has a great track record, and is looking for a job.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Coach Saban I think likes to mold and teach gifted up and coming assistants. He's a teacher. Norm Chow would not be on any list imo. Kiffin was a little over qualified, but was young and recently invited to work with the offense. The two guys who are now blowing up at Florida is the direction I think he will go.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
What about Norm Chow?

He has a great track record, and is looking for a job.

I liked his offenses at USC. Haven't kept with him at Hawaii.

I think the only thing going against Chow is age. He's 69. He may very well decide to be done now that he's out at Hawaii.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Coach Saban I think likes to mold and teach gifted up and coming assistants. He's a teacher. Norm Chow would not be on any list imo. Kiffin was a little over qualified, but was young and recently invited to work with the offense. The two guys who are now blowing up at Florida is the direction I think he will go.
Good point. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Groh come back as OC. He's still pretty young (43) and a great recruiter with some NFL experience under his belt now.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I like Pep Hamilton. He's likely looking for a job soon, as another poster said earlier.

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
I'd love to see a Stanford flavor added to Bama's offense. Really innovative (e.g. running 7 offensive linemen on the offensive line, not TEs, OFFENSIVE LINEMEN) yet smash mouth football.

I don't want any part of that sissy offense that those Big 12 schools run. I don't care if they score 100 points a game, almost anytime they run into a team that has a good defense, they choke.

On a side note, I kind of like the style of Minnesota's offensive line. Their O line coach may be out of a job soon. Would like to see him get a look if Cristobal leaves.

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
FWIW, the LBs shooting the gaps are not doing so at the snap. They are reading the play after the snap and then shooting the gaps. You have faced a few very good MLBs in the last few games, and LSU has one of the best in the business. So this is going to be a concern in your next game.

I have watched your O-line and formations and can't pick out an obvious key, but this has happened in too many games this season for it to be written off as great LB play. They are seeing something which is giving away the play.

Have you simplified the offense for Coker?
I believe this is the case. For whatever reason, Coker doesn't seem capable of making a lot of reads and one thing I'll give Kiffin credit for, he studies his QBs and what they can and can't do. He doesn't ask them to do something they simply can't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.