Would not be surprised to hear Richt getting fired soon.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
I think it just depends on what the administration wants at THUGA. Do they want good or great? I think Richt is a good coach, but not great. His results remind me of Tuberville. An 8-4, 9-3 coach who wins the conference every now and then. He would probably make a great AD.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
I see Georgia beating Ky, Aub, GT and a cupcake to finish 9-3 and go bowling. He keeps his job.
Seeing how KY beat Mizzou by 8 (hung 21 pts on them) and lost to Aub by 3, I think they're probably a more complete team than UGA right now - as crazy as that sounds. Not to mention, KY is hungry and likely upset at being embarrassed by UTn, while UGA is hanging their heads and going into a serious tailspin. Two teams in different directions at the moment. I could be wrong, but I can easily see 3 more losses for the puppies.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
After losing Chubb, and with the injuries they've had, they could just as easily go 0-3 as 3-0, or anywhere in between.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think there'll be a parting of the ways, similar to what we saw with Mack Brown and Texas.

Resigns, but gets the buyout and a no-show job. Forced smiles all around.

Might or might not work the job. Could be back in coaching immediately or after a year.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
i honestly don't think they'd be doing much better with chubb. every aspect of their team is bad, especially coaching.
full agreement. But it is in GA's DNA to make or break an entire season on one player. Remember when the lost Gurly and had Chubb and still seemed to fold? It's their thing

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
But you know that the right guy there could make a difference. You recognize the talent level available in the state. It is a risk.

That said, I still can't get my head around the mediocrity that is accepted at GA. I really thought that they were more like Alabama or Florida (in terms of demanding fans and boosters).
I live here (GA). Not even in the same galaxy.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From the UGA-loving Atlanta Journal Constitution:

Mark Richt has failed and should not return to UGA

Coaches don’t get fired because they lose. Coaches get fired when teams don’t meet expectations. There are circumstances when a 5-8 record is good and an 8-5 record is bad.

The circumstances at Georgia suggest this: Mark Richt has failed. He should not be back as Georgia’s coach next season.

This isn’t because he is a bad coach or because the Bulldogs are likely to finish with a losing record (they’re 5-3 with four winnable games and a bowl left). It’s because they did not meet expectations – this season, last season and arguably most seasons since 2007, when Georgia went 5-0 against ranked opponents and finished 11-2. It’s because with no drop in resources or support from administration and with a never-ending tap of recruits, Richt has failed to build momentum and take advantage of a run-down SEC East Division.

I’m sorry, but Richt and Georgia need to part

My default position has been that Georgia could never fire Mark Richt because, if you’re a self-respecting institution of higher learning, how can you fire a coach who wins nine or 10 games every season? (Assuming his program isn’t in NCAA trouble, which Richt’s has never been.) Recent events have altered that stance.

When I asked Greg McGarity last December if he believed Richt was capable of winning a championship, the athletic director thought hard before answering. “Unless I’m convinced he isn’t,” McGarity said, “then I believe he can.” Ten words, not a “yes” among them.

I posed that same question in an email Sunday. McGarity’s response: “Am focused on the Kentucky game and supporting our coaches and players.” Twelve words, still no “yes.”

Since Halloween 2014, Georgia has lost five games, all of the jaw-dropping variety: An 18-point loss to a Florida team about to fire Will Muschamp; an overtime loss to Georgia Tech after taking a three-point lead with 18 seconds remaining; a 28-point home loss when the Bulldogs were favored over Alabama; a squandered 21-point lead a week later at Tennessee, and finally a 24-point loss to a different Florida under a different coach.

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
If I were CMR...I would just walk away. I would get tired of the hot seat coming around every 3 or 4 years. Every body is turning on him and that's got to be getting old for him. If he were to hold a press conference to say he would step down at the end of the season, his phone would probably be ringing before he made it back to his office. He could look at doing TV, or take a job outside of the pressure filled SEC where 8 to 10 wins a year gets you a lifetime contract. Of course the question then becomes can he win 8-10 games without the UGA talent.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
If I were CMR...I would just walk away. I would get tired of the hot seat coming around every 3 or 4 years. Every body is turning on him and that's got to be getting old for him. If he were to hold a press conference to say he would step down at the end of the season, his phone would probably be ringing before he made it back to his office. He could look at doing TV, or take a job outside of the pressure filled SEC where 8 to 10 wins a year gets you a lifetime contract. Of course the question then becomes can he win 8-10 games without the UGA talent.
I agree 100% with ya to an extent & it should be that simple, but, at a school that's pumping in millions of $$$$$$ in their football program & pays their HC as much as they do..Winning 8-10 games a year won't cut it & I don't really blame them cause Richt has had all the tools needed too do better than he has at Georgia..I do think he's a decent HC & he would land on his feet someplace as a HC or announcing if he chose that route..Georgia has been better to Richt, than any one school has been to a HC, there comes a time when a change is simply needed for the school & the HC in actuality..That time is at Georgia cause once this kinda heat is turned on, I don't think there's a return to normalcy & the best thing that can happen for all involved, is like you say, is for Richt to walk away as their HC at the end of the year..Money wins out on mediocre results every time in this day & age of win now college football...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i get the feeling that richt likes being put on a pedestal as a "good man"

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
*looking Bruce Feldman's tweet*
@BruceFeldmanCFB Hearing that #UGA power broker & big dogs now asking questions/talking about potentially moving on-- unlike ever before in Mark Richt era.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Here's hoping UGA looks like the 2014 Patriots vs Auburn this weekend. That would be the best of both worlds - auburn loses and Richt saves his job.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.