Words Cannot Express the Job Coach Mac has done at Florida!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You probably won't like this either! (From ESPN this morning)

https://t.co/o003TnV1Kf?ssr=true
UF's defense is legit but I'm not sold on the offense. I see a very inconsistent QB and your #1 running back (and quite frankly all the UF RBs) is very undersized - 15 carries for 25 yards against LSU. No way UF beats LSU or Bama without some form of a running game. Now if UF gets matched up with Ole Miss in Atlanta I think UF would win that matchup again. That's not a slight to your team at all. UF is a very good, borderline elite team. I just think UF is a few pieces away from winning the SECCG and possibly the CFP..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Unfortunately all those stars next to UGA players don't help them and if I'm not mistaken they had better recruiting classes while Muschamp was at UF.
Well, you are, heh...
2014 Georgia was #7, Florida was 8 (according to Scout)
2013 Georgia was #12, Florida was 4
2012 Georgia was #12, Florida was 3
2011 Georgia was #5, Florida was 12
2010 Georgia was #12, Florida was 2

It really confuses me that Florida fans don't even know how good their recruiting classes were. As I said, Florida has the talent...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, you are, heh...

It really confuses me that Florida fans don't even know how good their recruiting classes were. As I said, Florida has the talent...
That 2010 class at FL turned out to be pure garbage. Those players undermined everything that had been built at FL (with Meyer's help). The other 4 classes are pretty close to a wash.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Florida might have been winning like Sisters of the Poor for most of Muschamp's tenure but it wasn't for a lack of talent. They're in our range recruiting-wise over the 4-5 year recruiting cycle as Krazy pointed out. You don't have a year 1 turnaround like this off simple coaching improvements, you've gotta have the talent that can do it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
That 2010 class at FL turned out to be pure garbage. Those players undermined everything that had been built at FL (with Meyer's help). The other 4 classes are pretty close to a wash.
Well, I think most of the blame has to be laid at the feet of Muschamp. I think you can write that class off somewhat if you want, but you have to say ok Muschamp, you're recruiting these guys, you're coaching these guys, it's up to you to get results. He didn't, and somewhere in the chaos people seemed to forget just how much talent he had.

I also questioned how effective Muschamp would be at Auburn. It isn't that I think he's a bad defensive coordinator, but at Florida his results were not on par with his talent on defense. I wasn't getting how he was going to take worse talent at Auburn, and an offense that creates a disadvantage for the defense and somehow show much improvement. He hasn't, he's just not that good...

Now, a sudden turn around and it's just an amazing coach? No, it's a good, perhaps great coach who just used the abundant talent appropriately. You can't win with no talent in the SEC, it is not coincidence that the top 3 SEC teams right now also happen to have had the best recruiting classes over the past few years.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Florida (and the rest of the conference for that matter) has enough talent to win every season - the difference is always the coaching.

Anyone who doesn't realize this by now just isn't paying attention.

Sure.......in any given season there are plenty of play makers who emerge from the field and shine.....but that doesn't happen without the right coaching.

One of the problems I saw with CWM during his time at Florida was not using the talent to it's full potential. Just on that basis alone we have leaped exponentially with CJM and staff.

And don't forget CJM brought in a whole new staff only retaining our old OL coach. That includes Coach Nuss, Coach Collins & Coach Randy Shannon on the defensive side.

Coaching is just about EVERYTHING.

The rest of this season and those following will be very exciting for both Alabama and Florida providing they can retain their coaching staffs.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, maybe not the ENTIRE conference. Vandy got shut out by Houston yesterday.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
Well, you are, heh...

Probably because we don't care about the stars - speaking for myself. What did folks do prior to the star ratings? Trust the coaching staff. I still do the same and CWM may have brought in people with stars but they underachieved and were poorly coached. Bazza said it best.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Well, maybe not the ENTIRE conference. Vandy got shut out by Houston yesterday.
Don't forget that James Franklin took Vandy to 3 straight bowls, and won 2. Even Vandy has the talent to win 6 every year. As it has been said, coaching is the difference, and Mason may have them back to bowl eligibility soon.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Probably because we don't care about the stars - speaking for myself. What did folks do prior to the star ratings? Trust the coaching staff. I still do the same and CWM may have brought in people with stars but they underachieved and were poorly coached. Bazza said it best.
The point is the players were not the problem... the coach was. That's why a new coach is winning with those same exact players.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Vandy exists so the rest of the nation can say "dey spose to be SEC"
That is alright Vandy represents the sec well in other sports and certainly helps our overall academic standings as a conference. To the point of the thread though Mac is doing a great job for the Gators and will continue to do so in my opinion. I for one think when Saban does retire in a few years we should definitely see about his interest at Bama. Yes I know Kirby may be in play there but I would argue as of today Kirby is 0-0 as a head coach and I am not knocking that but do we really want to go down the unproven coach route again...............

Last edited:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Personally, I wouldn't have a problem hiring an unproven head coach, if it was Kirby Smart. I think he has been around one of the best head coaches long enough to know how to run a successful program.

That being said, I wouldn't be upset if McElwain was the eventual replacement for Coach Saban, provided he continues to win like he has at CSU and UF this year.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Gotta wonder if this thread title is over the top. Mc has done things worthy of coach-of-the-year honors, better than any but the most wild optimist could have predicted, but it isn't as though there were not talented players at Florida.

He is also setting himself for great recruiting and long term because of his success and the appearance that the players look like they are enjoying the experience.

"Words cannot express . . "? Not really.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I also wonder if he hasn't set himself up for some unreasonable expectations in the future. As in "You won 11 games with Muschamp's players, how can you only win X games with yours?"

Not that SEC fans, alumni, and ADs are ever unreasonable . . .

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Gotta wonder if this thread title is over the top. Mc has done things worthy of coach-of-the-year honors, better than any but the most wild optimist could have predicted, but it isn't as though there were not talented players at Florida.

He is also setting himself for great recruiting and long term because of his success and the appearance that the players look like they are enjoying the experience.

"Words cannot express . . "? Not really.
Nit Pick much?

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
The talent was definitely weak... Just 6 scholarship offensive linemen in spring with almost no starts, poor wrs aside from drob (the best wr is a true freshmen) and no experienced 2nd year qbs.
You're mistaking depth for talent on the O-line. Two completely different things.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.