Longhorns lose to Iowa State 24-0 Is Coach Strong gone also?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't think Texas is paying this buyout of over $20M, granted some of it would probably be offset. Either way that's still a hefty bill..

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I watched most of the game. Texas was horrible. The Shorthorns were dominated on both sides of the ball. They had no passing game thus couldn't run the ball. The last play of the game, Texas had the ball on the 5 yard line and a receiver dropped a TD pass to preserve the shutout. On one play, ISU had a broken coverage and a Texas guy is WIDE open and the QB overthrows him OB. The whole game was just pathetic.

This is the first time Texas has been shut out by a non-ranked team since 1961. The fans are angry and embarrassed. It's meltdown on the boards. I think Charlie Strong will be fired at the end of the season no matter the cost of the buyout.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I watched most of the game. Texas was horrible. The Shorthorns were dominated on both sides of the ball. They had no passing game thus couldn't run the ball. The last play of the game, Texas had the ball on the 5 yard line and a receiver dropped a TD pass to preserve the shutout. On one play, ISU had a broken coverage and a Texas guy is WIDE open and the QB overthrows him OB. The whole game was just pathetic.

This is the first time Texas has been shut out by a non-ranked team since 1961. The fans are angry and embarrassed. It's meltdown on the boards. I think Charlie Strong will be fired at the end of the season no matter the cost of the buyout.
He has the support of interim AD and BOT. I know one of their beat writers very well and he was 100% no chance Strong is fired as of this week. Just sent him a text and left a VM Will see if he has a new opinion....

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Strong cannot be fired after this season unless he is caught in a 'sticky situation' off the field...

Even the cash-laden Texas can't spend close to $40 million to get rid of Strong...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Strong cannot be fired after this season unless he is caught in a 'sticky situation' off the field...

Even the cash-laden Texas can't spend close to $40 million to get rid of Strong...
So you're saying that they should replace all their staff with the finest women in Austin and hope he goes full Dubose?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So you're saying that they should replace all their staff with the finest women in Austin and hope he goes full Dubose?
In all seriousness, that's their only hope wrt getting rid of Strong.

Frankly, I think CCS is a man of solid character and will only be removed via buyout. I respect him, but don't believe he's equipped to run a program like UT right now.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Word leading up to the Oklahoma game was that his job was safe, but there was this looming, but things might change after the Oklahoma game mentality. That game is very important to them, so the inexplicable win there went a long way to erasing the memory of blowouts to Notre Dame and TCU. But, getting blown out by Iowa State? That's bad... seems to me he undid a lot of the good will that Oklahoma win generated.

I think he's demonstrating that may be he isn't really the guy they need though. The talent is there, and on a good day Texas is very competitive. But, getting beats 24-0 by a team that was 1-3 in the conference? You're doing something wrong, you can't go beat Oklahoma and then do that and pretend like it's just the players.

I think we're back to watching those last four teams and see if we see more good Texas or bad Texas.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't know if he's not equipped to run Texas right now or that Texas is simply not equipped to be ran effectively by anyone right now.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

My understanding is Strong has a five year $25 million dollar contract. Texas' buyout of his Louisville contract voided that contract. At the end of this year he would have been paid $10 million already so why wouldn't his buyout be $15 million? Still a large sum, but a lot less than $40 million.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
My understanding is Strong has a five year $25 million dollar contract. Texas' buyout of his Louisville contract voided that contract. At the end of this year he would have been paid $10 million already so why wouldn't his buyout be $15 million? Still a large sum, but a lot less than $40 million.
I'm not sure where you're getting "Texas' buyout of his Louisville contract voided that contract" - that money is literally part of Strong's compensation. You also need to include Brown's buyout. The total - reported by many organizations - is $37 million. I rounded up for convenience, but if the accuracy of $37M makes you happier, so be it.

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
I'm not sure where you're getting "Texas' buyout of his Louisville contract voided that contract" - that money is literally part of Strong's compensation. You also need to include Brown's buyout. The total - reported by many organizations - is $37 million. I rounded up for convenience, but if the accuracy of $37M makes you happier, so be it.
I'm probably confused but why would Brown's buyout be included in the cost to fire Strong? It seems like Texas would owe this no matter what they decide to do.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
For Charlie Strong, however, Texas used language in his Louisville contract to pay a $4.375 million direct fee for assignment of that contract to the Longhorns’ athletic department.

From there, the Louisville contract was essentially voided and his new Texas deal was put in place. By taking this action, Texas should have saved some money in having to compensate Strong and then the new UT coach would avoid the accounting of additional income in the transaction.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-texas/article32225649.html

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
As for Mack Brown's buyout:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...brown-texas-longhorns-paid-275-million-buyout

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas said Wednesday it has agreed to pay former coach Mack Brown $2.75 million that would have been owed him if he had been fired, and place him in a one-year, $500,000 job as a special assistant to the president for athletics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I'm reading that article UT has Mack Brown on the payroll for $500,000 and his $5 million plus is finished.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Lastly:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/01/13/charlie-strong-contract-texas/4455069/

If Strong is fired without cause, Texas will owe him an amount equal to total pay remaining on the contract, subject to Strong's obligation to offset up to half of that amount with income from subsequent employment. So, if Texas were fire Strong after one season, it would owe him $21 million, up to half of which could be offset.

So if I'm reading this one right, UT at the end of this season would be on the hook for $7.5-15 million depending on whether or not Charlie Strong seeks employment.

If those figures are remotely correct, Coach Strong is in trouble.

Texas is 3-5 with four games left against Kansas, W Va (away), Texas Tech, and Baylor (away). So far in three road games the Shorthorns have been outscored 112-10 (Notre Dame, TCU, Iowa State). According to 247 Sports, their 2016 recruiting class is ranked 54th in the nation; Rivals has Texas 58th. All the losses have been either by blowout or by embarrassing miscues at the end of the game. If the team that played Oklahoma shows up, Texas may win out, but the team that lost to Iowa State won't make a bowl game.

Insomnia ... geez.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Lastly:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/01/13/charlie-strong-contract-texas/4455069/

If Strong is fired without cause, Texas will owe him an amount equal to total pay remaining on the contract, subject to Strong's obligation to offset up to half of that amount with income from subsequent employment. So, if Texas were fire Strong after one season, it would owe him $21 million, up to half of which could be offset.

So if I'm reading this one right, UT at the end of this season would be on the hook for $7.5-15 million depending on whether or not Charlie Strong seeks employment.

If those figures are remotely correct, Coach Strong is in trouble.

Texas is 3-5 with four games left against Kansas, W Va (away), Texas Tech, and Baylor (away). So far in three road games the Shorthorns have been outscored 112-10 (Notre Dame, TCU, Iowa State). According to 247 Sports, their 2016 recruiting class is ranked 54th in the nation; Rivals has Texas 58th. All the losses have been either by blowout or by embarrassing miscues at the end of the game. If the team that played Oklahoma shows up, Texas may win out, but the team that lost to Iowa State won't make a bowl game.

Insomnia ... geez.
Personally, I would be beating the bushes trying to raise some money if I were the Power That Be at UT. But I hope they don't cause I like the misery in Austin.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.