Duke gets screwed over by the referees on the final play of the game

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I got a good chuckle out of that.
Considering his vertical, that ball would never have even reached the goal line, much less the goal posts, which made all the whining about being entitled to a new play all the more comic. If folks would just spend a little more time on the rules, these silly arguments wouldn't get started...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
^^^Nonsense like this is why the aliens won't talk to us.^^^
Why should they in any case? If I were an alien (promise I'm not), I don't think I'd talk to us either. I'd just fly off and say "They're going to exterminate themselves in a century or so, their time. We can come back and see if there's anything worth picking over."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Seems different to me in that the Miami player was on the field during the play and Cody took off his helmet after the play and the game was over.
Sigh. "During" and "after" makes no difference whatsoever. A dead ball foul is a dead ball foul. It makes no difference when it happens or who is on the field or not. It's really simple. I don't know why it's so hard to understand. Certain fouls are designated as dead ball fouls and it doesn't matter when they happen...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Let me try. Another dead ball foul is taking your helmet off on the field. When it's a dead ball foul, it's enforced on the next play. When big Cody blocked the UT kick in 2009 with, I think, his right teat, then ripped his helmet off as he exited the field, the cyber space was filled with howls from UT fans who wanted a do-over. Problem is, when the game ends, and it can on a dead ball foul, there's no time left to enforce the penalty. Any refs present can correct me, if I'm wrong...
Yeah, I understand what you're saying but the offending team, Miami, scored. I don't ever remember an offensive team having a penalty and scoring on the same play. In Cody's case, Alabama did not score. Huge difference on my personal scale of fairness.

You will remember a game a few years ago when LSU faked a punt against Florida and Brad Wing, LSU's punter, was flagged for taunting and his TD was taken off the board. Taunting is unsportsmanlike conduct, but it was decided by the rules makers to give the player a choice, he could score or he could taunt. Thus taunting is not enforced as a dead ball foul like most unsportsmanlike conduct calls because it would allow the offending team to score. LSU lost their TD and they were penalized 15 yards from the spot of the foul.

A non-player on the field is unsportsmanlike conduct. I suspect it's non-reviewable. There is however a provision in the rules which allows an official to use his own discretion in case of a foul not covered by the rules.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
The rule is crystal clear and Earl is right. There is a specific exception for the goal line taunting by the ball carrier that LSU's punter received. This isn't that, thank God. Miami shouldn't have scored, but if there hadn't been the blocks in the back and his elbow hadn't been down, I can't imagine a worse outcome than having that play negated because some kid on the sideline got excited.
I agree and understand the rule. My bone of contention is that the rule is wrong and should be changed. A team should not be able to commit a foul and score on the same play. As the rule stands, this is a possibility.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
It's a foul that has nothing whatsoever to do with the play itself. It's not a foul that might hurt someone. It's not a foul that makes it more likely you will score. That's why it's a dead ball foul. I'm sure there were players and coaches down the field who were going crazy, too. Should they negate the touchdown? Why would you want the referees using their questionable judgment to decide whether to negate a play in that instance, to change the course of the entire game, to void a great play, because one player out of a hundred overreacted in a way that does not matter at all?
So it's OK to commit a foul and score on the same play? How does taunting affect the play? What about taking your helmet off? Excessive celebration? I don't want the refs to use their questionable judgment to decide the outcome of the game anymore that you do but those are the rules. I do want the rules enforced on every play and again, I see no logical argument for allowing an offense to commit a foul and score on the same play.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
What is Dead Ball Foul? Any penalty that is called or assessed after the whistle has been blown to declare the play dead. Dead ball fouls are assessed from the end of the play, rather from the previous line of scrimmage or spot of the foul. The most common dead ball fouls are unsportsmanlike conduct and unnecessary roughness, since they take place during post-play moments.

Sporting Charts explains Dead Ball Foul

Dead ball fouls are considered the easiest to avoid and the biggest game changers since they don't take place during the action on the field. Most dead ball fouls are heat of the moment penalties that occur due to a reaction to other events near the whistle. Since the penalty is assessed after the play, a dead ball foul can either set an offense back drastically or wildly enhance a team's chances of scoring. Most dead ball fouls fall into the unsportsmanlike conduct or unnecessary roughness categories, and both of those are fifteen yards from the end of the play.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
And none of those fouls take a score off the board, with the exception of the taunting as you are scoring a touchdown, which was a specific rule designed to address one particularly egregious type of penalty that they wanted to eliminate. Those are the rules. You want to change the rules.
I agree and understand the rule. My bone of contention is that the rule is wrong and should be changed. A team should not be able to commit a foul and score on the same play. As the rule stands, this is a possibility.
Yep, I want the rules changed so an offense can't score on a play where they have committed a foul.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.