Duke gets screwed over by the referees on the final play of the game

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
I thought we had it bad in the SEC, but this takes the cake for referee ineptness. During a crazy play when the u is trying to lateral and find a way to get it to the endzone the refs missed numerous blocks in the back and a player being down by contact.I don't know if it's possible under the rules, but in a just world, the ACC should reverse this and award the win to Duke. They spent 9 minutes reviewing this and still didn't get it right.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
I watched it live and counted 3 blocks in the back. At the end of the play they showed there was a flag thrown for a block in the back and the ref made a call for a block in the back but the play was under review.
What did they say finally? I went and finished working on the car when the review started.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I watched it live and counted 3 blocks in the back. At the end of the play they showed there was a flag thrown for a block in the back and the ref made a call for a block in the back but the play was under review.
What did they say finally? I went and finished working on the car when the review started.
Just looked at it. Saw where block in back was called, but later determined to be from side so flag was picked up. Not to mention runner was down about halfway thru the play. Pretty easy to see in slow mo. Duke was hosed.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I haven't seen a call so outrageously bad since Colorado's 5th down years ago. All the refs should be suspended and, frankly, Duke should be awarded the game.

Wayne4Bama2

Scout Team
Feb 10, 2001
Dothan,Al,Houston
The U also had a player come off the side line around the 15 yard line and run with the players on the field and then threw his head gear down around the 5 yard line. The Duke was roooooooooooooobed.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Can a game end on a play with a penalty? If a block-in-the-back had been called and accepted the ball would be placed as a spot foul but no time would be left on the clock. Would Miami have a play from scrimmage in this scenario?

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
A game can not end with a defensive penalty if the offense accepts. If Miami had been called for a penalty for block in the back the game would have been over.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I, along with many UFC fans, don't like Dana White, but he had said something really true for all sports after the first shogun vs macieda fight. He said " don't ever leave it in the hands of the judges or the refs and just finish the fight". While I feel bad for duke, that play only works about .5/10 times. Duke still should've stopped it with or without the refs

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've said 100 times that RARELY can you blame the refs when you lose. Given this was the last play and part of the reason Duke couldn't tackle was a block in the back that can't be overturned - THIS qualifies as the rare event.

But anyone expecting the outcome changed is whistling past the graveyard.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I, along with many UFC fans, don't like Dana White, but he had said something really true for all sports after the first shogun vs macieda fight. He said " don't ever leave it in the hands of the judges or the refs and just finish the fight". While I feel bad for duke, that play only works about .5/10 times. Duke still should've stopped it with or without the refs
Pretty damned hard to tackle when you keep getting blocked in the back.

Aside from which you cannot take back that called penalty, which makes the rest of it irrelevant.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

I understand what you are saying. Duke shouldn't have left enough room on the scoreboard for a play like this to be significant. But to blame this on Duke is absurd. They would have stopped it were it not for several illegal blocks from Miami. They actually did stop it at one point and the refs failed to call the Miami player down.

You can't blame the players when the refs don't enforce the rules of the game.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Looked to me like the ball carrier was down (knee). I just posted to say that college football officiating is getting worse. We had better be prepared to beat LSU and the zebras on Saturday. If we leave it their hands we will end up just like Duke.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
That was my exact thought yesterday when I saw it, Selma. The ref can pick up the flag and waive it off as "no foul". But the "block in the back" is not a reviewable penalty. They cannot review it, say there was no penalty and "waive it off". If I was David Cutcliffe I would have not left the field until the head of the officiating crew, the replay official and head of conference officiating explained how they could do that.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And every Tide fan was thinking, "The only surprise is that Auburn wasn't the beneficiary of zebra ineptitude."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.