JessN: Off-week analysis: Is this the year Alabama gets caught outside, looking in?

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I don't see how it would matter if Bama did fall to a 3 loss Ol Miss team. Last year The Buckeyes fell to Va. Tech which I think was a 3 loss team if not more losses than that. If Ol Miss is ranked 15th and Bama is ranked 4th then the SEC should intervene and not allow Ol Miss to represent to represent the SEC even if they go to Atlanta and beat Florida. The highest ranked team should represent the SEC until they increase the playoff teams to 6.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Things will sort out this month. There are several "elimination" games.

Out of the Big 12, I don't see Oklahoma surviving that three game stretch. Will be pretty difficult.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
I don't see how it would matter if Bama did fall to a 3 loss Ol Miss team. Last year The Buckeyes fell to Va. Tech which I think was a 3 loss team if not more losses than that. If Ol Miss is ranked 15th and Bama is ranked 4th then the SEC should intervene and not allow Ol Miss to represent to represent the SEC even if they go to Atlanta and beat Florida. The highest ranked team should represent the SEC until they increase the playoff teams to 6.

I don't think it works like that...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Va Tech lost 6 games in the 2014 regular season.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Re: Big 12

Big 12 is a different animal this year. Last year there were but two in the mix and they had already played each other in the middle of October. This season there are four (Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and TCU) and they all play each other in November. Huge difference!

Oklahoma State plays ALL of the other three at home in this November round robin. Huge advantage! ALL of the other three each play two of their three games of the round robin on the road. Huge disadvantage! I look for Oklahoma State to go undefeated and be in the CFP.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The good news is: several of these scenarios are gone after Saturday.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
In case you didn't notice last year, this CFP thingy is a Conference Champion only invitational Tournament. If Bama does not play in, and win the SECCG then Bama will not be in that CCIT. The only ranking that matters is the CFP ranking. The final Top 4 CFP ranking will all be CCs.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Won't happen, and that's not what the conference committee is looking at in these situations, anyway.

They want to see that 13th game, a championship won on the field. So Alabama needs to make it to Atlanta, not just be designated a champion. In the absence of a 13th game (i.e., the Big 12), the committee wants the conference to identify a champion. The reason TCU and Baylor both got left out last year was that the Big 12 tried to play cute with the committee; it doubled down on a strategy by which the conference wouldn't name an outright champion, hoping the committee would take both teams. The committee (rightly) called the Big 12's bluff.

But since the SEC Championship Game exists, if Alabama doesn't make it to the game, UA will get penalized for not playing in it.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Won't happen, and that's not what the conference committee is looking at in these situations, anyway.

They want to see that 13th game, a championship won on the field. So Alabama needs to make it to Atlanta, not just be designated a champion. In the absence of a 13th game (i.e., the Big 12), the committee wants the conference to identify a champion. The reason TCU and Baylor both got left out last year was that the Big 12 tried to play cute with the committee; it doubled down on a strategy by which the conference wouldn't name an outright champion, hoping the committee would take both teams. The committee (rightly) called the Big 12's bluff.

But since the SEC Championship Game exists, if Alabama doesn't make it to the game, UA will get penalized for not playing in it.
Agree. We don`t go to Atlanta and win, we get jumped regardless IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.