Question: What can be done about refs?

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I watch all the conferences play starting on Thursday each week.

Starting with TCU VS WVU, it became clear that certain conferences are "protecting their investments" by calls working out for highly ranked teams. I commented on it in the game thread that night.

I keep three tv's in the living room during football season so I'm inundated with football goodness. For fun I counted endzone celebrations. I used the metric of something other than pointing at the fans or something to that effect.

I watched the notre dame qb flap his arms after running in atd (they were playing the owls).
I watched Clemson players dance like they were at a club in the endzone.
According to my tic marks on the paper, I saw 7 other cases of excessive celebration in yesterday's games.

That point is brought up as I'm still P'ed off about the ruling against Ridley where they said he spiked the ball And got unsportsmanlike.

The targeting call against the Michigan defender THROWN onto the qb on the ground.

This leads to the final play of the game for Miami vs Duke yesterday. It's in several threads here if someone wants to link it. The refs had 4 blocks to the back (2 of which weren't remotely questionable), a knee down on the lateral, and a 12th man on the field, running onto the field, with his helmet off.

I've seen at least 8 games this season, (two of which were ours), where the broadcaster quits calling the game just so they can talk about how flagrantly bad a pass interference call is. And in this scenario I'm not talking about the "oh, maybe it was" calls.....I mean the "nearest guy is 3 yards away from the receiver" type calls.

This doesn't even include the holding call misses throughout CFB.

SO the question is, what can be done?

I'd like to see fines and suspensions, pure and simple. A blown call doesn't necessarily mean either happens, or that both always happen. I'm not asking for perfection.

But when you as a ref get called into a room and look at the video and see something so flagrantly wrong, there has to be some accountability.

So based off each conferences leadership upon review the following week, fines get levied, possible suspensions. Everyone was p'ed years ago with the substitute refs, and in my opinion the calls are getting that comical and outrageous.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Maybe have full time referees. It would certainly be more expensive but it would be worth it IMO..

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
It is interesting to see how refs from other conferences make calls when compared to SEC refs. It seems like we have the "zero tolerance" approach that isn't any better than they "we don't care" approach. I'd love to see consistency across all conferences though. While I'm on the subject, the targeting rule replay decisions have been awful this year. What film are any of these refs watching this year?! A players head will jar back when a big hit is made and if the angle of the camera isn't perfect, it becomes too subjective for me.

Last edited:

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Update: apparently 4 of the refs are being suspended, the ACC acknowledged that Miami should have lost, bit haven't announced that they will overturn the win.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...eaten-duke-on-last-second-play-175828927.html

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
So I wonder if the ACC office will do the right thing and award Duke the win. I cant imagine the flap that would happen should it have been SEC game with a ranked team loosing on a play like that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It is interesting to see how refs from other conferences make calls when compared to SEC refs. It seems like we have the "zero tolerance" approach that isn't any better than they "we don't care" approach. I'd love to see consistency across all conferences though. While I'm on the subject, the targeting rule replay decisions have been awful this year. What film are any of these refs watching this year?! A players head will jar back when a big hit is made and if the angle of the camera isn't perfect, it becomes too subjective for me.
The worst one was on the UT player...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know that the answer isn't to criticize them. I think that the SEC officials have decided to teach Saban a lesson this year for doing as much.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Football is a man's game. We need to get rid of the targeting non-sense and enforce the rules with regards to spotting the ball/setting the line properly and illegal downfield blockers. Ref problems solved.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Football is a man's game. We need to get rid of the targeting non-sense and enforce the rules with regards to spotting the ball/setting the line properly and illegal downfield blockers. Ref problems solved.
I agree with all but the targeting. Even football players want to be able to live beyond their 30s with more than 2 live brain cells to rub together.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I think they are getting the targeting rule dialed in much better. They are finally showing some common sense with the review.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
The celebrations have become more like the NFL every week it seems. I watch a lot of games and you see it in every one of them.
We had a player make a TD then gets up and drop the ball a little too hard, not toward anybody and get a penalty called.
TN makes an INT, spike-spins the ball, then dances around it on the field with a couple teammates and it's all ok. There is no consistency.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I know that the answer isn't to criticize them. I think that the SEC officials have decided to teach Saban a lesson this year for doing as much.
Sending Sending a message by doing a lousy job? Not the character of someone who takes their job seriously... Officiating has really gone to the dogs the last few years - really since since the clock rules changed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Is water boarding a solution? [emoji97][emoji97][emoji97][emoji97][emoji97][emoji97]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sending Sending a message by doing a lousy job? Not the character of someone who takes their job seriously... Officiating has really gone to the dogs the last few years - really since since the clock rules changed.
IMO, the poor job this year just seems too lop-sided against Alabama since Saban made that complaint. Poor job? Maybe. Maybe something else altogether (and I am not typically a conspiracy guy).

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
IMO, the poor job this year just seems too lop-sided against Alabama since Saban made that complaint. Poor job? Maybe. Maybe something else altogether (and I am not typically a conspiracy guy).
I think that is a very good possibility that they are trying to teach CNS a lesson for complaining against them but there is little we can do, they are the police and they appear to police themselves.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Griping about the refs is about as effective as griping about the weather. The only difference is the weather doesn't get worse to spite the people griping.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.