Will the playoff committee take into account the complaint Coach Saban filed

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Will the playoff committee take into account the complaint Coach Saban filed with the SEC office concerning the illegality of the Ole Miss "pop pass" and illegal blocking downfield? This play was a key to Ole Miss pulling the upset against Bama.

See full article

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...laint-over-ole-miss-pop-pass-td-to-sec-office

Nick Saban admitted his defense was undisciplined on a controversial touchdown pass in Saturday's loss to Ole Miss. That said, the Crimson Tide coach said Wednesday that he submitted replays to officials showing the pop-pass score featured Ole Miss players illegally blocking downfield.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No, but they will consider that the game was so closely contested in spite of your 5 turnovers. But that is not going to make a difference unless you face another team with a similar resume. IMO, the only way that Alabama gets in is as the SEC conference champion, as it is becoming less and less likely that we will see complete meltdowns in other conferences.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Folks, it is very simple to me about our position for the playoffs.

1. Ole Miss has to lose one of it's remaining games.

2. Alabama must win all of it's remaining games and the SEC Championship.

It's as simple as winning and losing. This weeks picks don't even matter, except for entertainment and "drama" value. It ensures that Finebaum will get heavier than normal phone calls from the "usual suspects" and maybe a few "new" callers and listeners.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

It's as simple as winning and losing. This weeks picks don't even matter, except for entertainment and "drama" value. It ensures that Finebaum will get heavier than normal phone calls from the "usual suspects" and maybe a few "new" callers and listeners.
This...you hit the nail smack dab in the middle of the head.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
One of the problems I see is that there really isn't an RPI system like there is in NCAA Basketball which takes into account different variables.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I would think if Alabama wins the rest of their games and end up in a tie with ole miss and ole miss wins the sec or loses the sec, there is no way ole miss jumps Alabama with 1 SEC loss and the loss to Memphis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The committee can do what ever the heck they want, that's the problem.

If the BCS ranking system was in place, there would be no issue. All Alabama would have to do was win out. They're #1 in Sagarin (a BCS computer), they have a top 10 SoS, they are the top one loss team. Every scenario in which Alabama doesn't get in (if they win out), involves some sort of shenanigans by the committee. Would they move down Alabama despite having the highest SoS of the contenders, and despite how close their loss to Ole Miss was?

The committee can just throw anything out the window if they want to, and they might. People wanted this, they got it...

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I would think if Alabama wins the rest of their games and end up in a tie with ole miss and ole miss wins the sec or loses the sec, there is no way ole miss jumps Alabama with 1 SEC loss and the loss to Memphis.

Ole Miss wins the Tiebraker virtual Head-Head. If Both Alabama and Ole Miss win out, Ole Miss goes to Atlanta.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
No, but they will consider that the game was so closely contested in spite of your 5 turnovers. But that is not going to make a difference unless you face another team with a similar resume. IMO, the only way that Alabama gets in is as the SEC conference champion, as it is becoming less and less likely that we will see complete meltdowns in other conferences.
Agreed. The committee would like nothing more than to see Alabama left the out of the final four selection.

At the same time, they're not going to let a 2 loss OM team in, especially considering that one of those losses was to a FCS team. That said, there's no way OM gets into the final four. Not this year, anyway, regardless of how the rest of the season pans out.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Ole Miss wins the Tiebraker virtual Head-Head. If Both Alabama and Ole Miss win out, Ole Miss goes to Atlanta.
I think he's referring to Alabama getting jumped by Ole Miss in the committee standings. A two loss Ole Miss team ain't jumping them unless they lose. I think we all know that.

What a lot of people seem to be saying though, is that the committee is a bunch of liars and they will keep a non-SEC champ Alabama team out. Which unfortunately is a distinct possibility but remains pure speculation.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Yup. But I do see a senecio back in 2011 when LSU won the SEC and both teams were in the championship. We shall see if the carries over to the committee giving both teams a spot in the final four. It's going to be an interesting stretch.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think he's referring to Alabama getting jumped by Ole Miss in the committee standings. A two loss Ole Miss team ain't jumping them unless they lose. I think we all know that. .
Ole Miss would jump Alabama if they beat LSU and then beat FL in the SECCG. Even with 2 losses, the extra game would give them the same # of wins as Alabama @ 11, and they would have beat you head to head. The committee would jump them over Alabama, without a doubt.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I don't think Ole Miss gets into the playoff with 2 losses with so many other 1 loss teams out there.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Ole Miss would jump Alabama if they beat LSU and then beat FL in the SECCG. Even with 2 losses, the extra game would give them the same # of wins as Alabama @ 11, and they would have beat you head to head. The committee would jump them over Alabama, without a doubt.
Ditto.....

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I do not think so. Just remember that our game against LSU helped usher the thing in. I just do not like a group of elite's selecting so few of teams. We would have not played LSU with the committee.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Even with 2 losses if Ole miss runs the table they deserve that playoff spot. They would have beaten good teams like Bama, LSU, Florida (rematch) and win the SEC.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama

I agree. If Ole Miss wins out, we are out of the playoffs, period. Unfortunately, this means that the SEC will not have a team in the playoffs because there is no way a two loss team (Ole Miss) gets selected. All Bama can do is win out and let the chips fall where they may.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If Ole Miss goes to the SECCG, they will play Florida and lose to them in my opinion. If Florida wins out with a victory over FSU to end their regular season, they will make the playoffs as a 12-1 SEC Champion. If Florida drops their game to FSU, then the SEC is shutout in that scenario barring some weirdness that makes an 11-1 Alabama or LSU bubble up to the 4-line.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.