SEC since A&M and Mizz joined.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Just some numbers I thought were interesting to look at since 2012 when the SEC expanded and went to 14 teams.

Bama. 25/4 86%
UGA 21/9 70%
LSU 19/9 68%
UF 18/11 62%
Mizz 17/12 59%
A&M 16/13 55%
Miss St 15/13 54%
USCe 16/14 53%
Miss 15/14 52%
Aub 12/17 41%
Vandy 10/18 36%
TN 8/21 28%
Arky 6/22 21%
KY 4/26 13%

The end of this season will give some more complete numbers but our two additions from the Powerful and Mighty Big "12" or should we say the Wild West Wee 10! This is why the SEC claims to be the best league. You cant come in, even from the WWW10 and expect to do any better than just over .500. Of course you put Mizz in the west and they dont have the record A&M has managed in 4 years.

Another reason UGA will not fire CMR.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Whoa there big boy, let's not get too over the top since according to the figures you are quoting they are sitting at fifth and six respectively in your standings, ahead of eight of the twelve teams you extolling for being so tough. Further, lest you forget, A&M came into Bryant-Denny the first year and knocked us off and scared hell out of us the second year. As for Missouri, seems to me I remember them winning the eastern division two straight years. Given that I'd have to say that both were pretty damn competitive. Guess I have to wonder based on your vision if Miss St, USCe, Ole Miss, Auburn, Vandy, UTe, Ark, and UK should move to your "WWW 10" given their records the past four years. Just saying.....

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
There is a difference in competing a couple years and winning. You hear it all the time how a team could come in and win 10-11 games in the SEC. And we are not that much better. I dissagree.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al

Even with the magical 2013 season, auburn is 2nd last in the west and behind USCe and both Miss schools.

Edit: wait that math doesn't hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
There is a difference in competing a couple years and winning. You hear it all the time how a team could come in and win 10-11 games in the SEC. And we are not that much better. I dissagree.
Ahh... Name the teams that have been better than aTm and mizzou as a program since then. I can only name bama , lsu, and maybe UGA .Auburn has had 1 of the worst seasons in sec history, 1 sec title, and 2 very disappointing seasons if you try to put them up there. So if having a crown is your argument then it would go like this:
1.bama
2.auburn
3. Mizzou (with 2 east crowns)
4. UGA (with 1 east crown)

So what are you basing your thesis statement on if crowns put mizzou at 3rd and winning percentage puts both expansion teams at 5 and 6 above over half of the SEC?

Last edited:

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Ahh... Name the teams that have been better than aTm and mizzou as a program since then. I can only name bama , lsu, and maybe UGA .Auburn has had 1 of the worst seasons in sec history, 1 sec title, and 2 very disappointing seasons if you try to put them up there. So if having a crown is your argument then it would go like this:
1.bama
2.auburn
3. Mizzou (with 2 east crowns)
4. UGA (with 1 east crown)

So what are you basing your thesis statement on if crowns put mizzou at 3rd and winning percentage puts both expansion teams at 5 and 6 above over half of the SEC?
My point was that the SEC top teams should always get the benefit of doubt when matching up against teams with same records in other leagues. Those teams always say they could win in the SEC. I dont count competing and winning a div of SEC as winning. You have to do more than make it to ATL by default.

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
You seem to be discounting the records of Texas A&M and Missouri in the years preceding their move to the SEC. A&M's record for the final 3 seasons as a member of the B12 was 22-17 (overall) with no conference/division championships. Missouri's record for the final 3 seasons as a member of the B12 was 26-13 (overall) with no conference/division championships.

Since joining the SEC, the records for the 1st 3 years are: Texas A&M, 28-11 (overall) with no conference/division championships, and Missouri, 28-12 (overall), with 2 division championships.

Missouri had a rough 1st season in the SEC but has represented pretty well in the east since. Texas A&M was never a powerhouse in the SWC or in the B12, no reason that should change with the move to the SEC.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My point was that the SEC top teams should always get the benefit of doubt when matching up against teams with same records in other leagues. Those teams always say they could win in the SEC. I dont count competing and winning a div of SEC as winning. You have to do more than make it to ATL by default.
The problem is no one ever took ATM and mizzou serious in the big 12 and the fact that three SEC west teams lost to two big 10 and 1 big 12 teams. When I initially read your first post I thought you were acting like they both were a detriment but I'm kinda lost at your rational that the sec should get the benefit of the doubt because of our expansion teams. Where was this justification when we got arky and usce?

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
The Aggie's percentage was boosted by a once-in-a-generation talent, and Mizz by going into the weaker of the two divisions. The win ratios will suffer as their circumstances revert to the mean.

Actually it is the other numbers that are the most interesting. Bama the best win ratio, sure, but I'm surprised at how far ahead of LSU we are. Similarly, how bad the barn has been - these numbers were run down by Chizik but the Gus Bus has stunk up the joint this year also.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al

Barn number looks bad but they were 12-2 and 8-5 so it should be 20/7 or counting this year too 24/11 or 68%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The problem is no one ever took ATM and mizzou serious in the big 12
I agree - aTm and Mizzou are doing about as well in the SEC as they did in the Big 12. I, too, have been surprised by this.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
It is a strange thought process not to count winning a division and playing in a championship game as winning. I'm also puzzled by your saying you have to do more than make it to the ATL by default. When has someone played in that game by default?

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Re: SEC since A&M and Mizz joined.

Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think that you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014

I disagree about another reason UGA won't fire Richt. What this shows me is that even when UTn and UF were down, UGA couldn't capitalize on the opportunity - even with a better record than the team that won the East twice during that same time frame! Richt finds a way to lose the games he should win. If you like a 8 or 9 win coach that rarely takes you to a championship, then he's you guy. I think UGA is tired of living in 1980.

However, they probably won't fire him, despite his championship incompetence!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I disagree about another reason UGA won't fire Richt. What this shows me is that even when UTn and UF were down, UGA couldn't capitalize on the opportunity - even with a better record than the team that won the East twice during that same time frame! Richt finds a way to lose the games he should win. If you like a 8 or 9 win coach that rarely takes you to a championship, then he's you guy. I think UGA is tired of living in 1980.

However, they probably won't fire him, despite his championship incompetence!
GA seems to consistently beat the teams that it is supposed to beat - where it is a big favorite. Where GA has faltered is against teams with similar talent. In those games, they only win half the time.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Can't really compare TAMU in the SEC to TAMU in the Big 12 since Sumlin was hired in 2012. He probably would have done a better job than Sherman did his last few seasons in College Station.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Yes. The numbers are SEC records only. I wanted to see their actual impact on SEC not their whole record.

The fact Mizz made it to the Championship game twice means little to me in terms of hiw close they were to winning the SEC. Both years they would have been beaten badly by 3-4 teams from the West. And they got crushed by the West representative both times. So the fact they won the East did not mean they were even remotely close to winning our conference.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yes. The numbers are SEC records only. I wanted to see their actual impact on SEC not their whole record.

The fact Mizz made it to the Championship game twice means little to me in terms of hiw close they were to winning the SEC. Both years they would have been beaten badly by 3-4 teams from the West. And they got crushed by the West representative both times. So the fact they won the East did not mean they were even remotely close to winning our conference.
Well actually, Mizzou was 20 minutes away from beating Auburn in 2013. They took a 34-31 lead with 5:35 left in the third quarter.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.