First Playoff Poll Released (predictions - first 5 pages; analysis - page 6 - ???)

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
Thanks for pointing this out. Trying to justify that Bama hasn't played a tough schedule based on where teams are ranked now is revisionist history.
I think others are objectively trying to decipher the thought process. Step away from it as a fan of x team for a moment. They had a number of reason why they placed teams where they did. So for the moment, focus on whom they placed where using those factors and how much value the committee places on teams based on how they ranked them. You can't focus on SoS or one component of the algorithm. After taking all of those factors into consideration, they still felt Ole Miss was no better than 18, yet the #4 team in the country lost to them. Try not to look at what it was when...but just how using the CURRENT ranking lays out and how they have valued each team. Looking at it that way is why some are questioning the decisions.

BTW, I'm not playing the "Florida beat the team that beat..." card or saying Florida should be in the top 4!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Have to love the media members crowing about this. They want to try to go by the current rankings instead of the rankings at the time of the game. If that's the case, why do many participate in the AP preseason poll?
Also, by that logic, a team would be penalized for winning. It would lower the winning teams SOS..

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Have to love the media members crowing about this. They want to try to go by the current rankings instead of the rankings at the time of the game. If that's the case, why do many participate in the AP preseason poll?

Agreed.

They are all somebody...until Bama beats them.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Re: Analysis of First Playoff Poll

It is a written rule that ONLY conference champions make the final 4? I know it happened last year, but is it a guarantee?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Everyone likes to say the SEC beats each other up. The Big 12 is about to experience the same:

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al

If OSU, BU, or TCU go through November unbeaten, then that team will probably be in the playoff. That happening is pretty slim though.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

No surprise, Cecil Hurt destroys it in his column today.

CECIL HURT: Calm down, the playoff rankings will work itself out

Alabama fans need to remember that the season is far from over, although they can’t be entirely blamed if they went to their favorite celebration spot in Tuesday and ordered a Danny Kannell (that’s one ounce of vodka, two ounces of salty tears and three dashes of bitters) for a traditional SEC Conspiracy toast.

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.

I have to admit I am thoroughly enjoying all of the angst over our ranking. Admittedly it is way early and I think that if we were to win out we would be in, having the committee rank us now gives me great entertainment. Just to watch the media boys have their over-inflated egos crashed is down right hilarious. this from the group that had the barn and UGA in the SEC championship and their annual prediction (hope) that this is the year of Oregon, USC, ND... is dominate.

They all act like the committee suddenly changed the rules. They clearly sent the message last year to Baylor, TCU and the like. PLAY SOMEBODY!

Another observation. look at all of the teams that have "escaped with a victory just to stay alive. TCU's pass in the end zone, Clemson's stop on the last play. To the contrary, Bama has controlled every game that we have won with the exception of UT and the defeat took an unfortunate play and turnovers. While I don't buy into many of the contrived states and the "metrics" that ESPM loves, we have had exceptional game control. While the TCU's and Baylor's have to keep scoring because they can't run clock and play D, we can score enough and then control the game. The best example being UGA when we didn't score in the last 25 minutes of the game because we were in absolute control. This is not lost on the committee.

The most encouraging thing about the first ranking to me is that we have the opportunity to earn our way in. We still don't completely control our own destiny, but we have an opportunity to win out and get in because of the respect that the committee has for our body of work.

RTR!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Everyone likes to say the SEC beats each other up. The Big 12 is about to experience the same:

I think they did a huge disservice to their teams by making their schedules a backloaded gauntlet. They did this specifically to have a ton of no-loss teams for the first CFP poll and try to create a scenario where one will bubble up to the top. It will probably blow up in their faces.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

It is a written rule that ONLY conference champions make the final 4? I know it happened last year, but is it a guarantee?
It's not a written rule. But the committee has stated it factors in the winning of the conference as part of their criteria.

From the CFP site:
The selection committee ranks the teams based on conference championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, comparison of results against common opponents and other factors.
That and last years final ranking rationale leads me to believe that they favor conference champions over non-conference winners. That's not to say it won't change this year.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

I'm finding all the crying and whining by the so called experts hilarious. They are the ones who wanted a committee so this is what the get!!

I still don't understand why they even release these weekly polls when none of them matter at all, except the last one. It will change from week to week, sometimes drastically since each poll has no baring on the next one. They wipe the slate clean each week and claim to not even look at the previous week's rankings. The only reason they do it is to give people something to whine about on Twitter. I find it all pointless and think they should only release one at the end of the season. Some people say we need them to understand there thought process, I say bullocks. There thought process is just as screwed up as ours and, I don't need a bunch of worthless polls just to validate the final ranking.

Now, with all that said, my dream scenario is this: Ole Miss wins out and wins the SECCG, Bama wins out and goes to the playoffs leaving out the SECC and ND! The world would explode! Bama, who lost to the SECC and didn't win it's division still goes, heads would roll! It would also kick start the talk of moving to an 8 team playoff big time, which is what I'd like to see. Power 5 conference champs get automatic bid plus 3 at large, that's my dream playoff.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've been trying to read thru the thread all morning...finally caught up & ready to comment...

It's really good to see Bama get their due. I know only this season's play factors in the ratings according to how it's supposed to work...but let's not forget Bama has been the dominant team to beat since soon after Saban arrived.

We worried about anti-SEC bias, but Bama in the playoffs is good for college football. If our history and coach gives us a leg up in the rankings, well, it's great to see Bama get the respect I think we are due.

Could it be that the opposite of anti-SEC sentiment is an unspoken factor with the committee? Or in other words, are we due the benefit of the doubt because of our track record, and who we are? I would not mind it if that's the case.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Where would Alabama be in the BCS? I would assume lower than 4? This is why having a CFP committee favors Alabama: the human element. Yes I know the BCS factored in the polls but it's not the same thing..

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Re: Tonights the first Playoff Poll release. What's YOUR prediction.

ESPN showed last night that they are jumping on the Memphis bandwagon. And we all know how that works. They are going to hype the crud out of Memphis as long as they keep winning. This is why I think Memphis is a big hurdle for us. If we win out and Memphis wins out, the hype machine is going to push the fact that they beat Ole Miss and we didn't. They will also own wins over currently ranked Houston and Temple. They will have a potential Heisman candidate in Paxton Lynch. There will be a wave of support to put "one of the little guys in." Add in national anti-SEC sentiment and you've got yourself another "1997" (when ESPN effectively hyped Charles Woodson to the Heisman). Now, will the committee tune all of this out? That's the question. For this week, at least, they put Bama where they thought we belong.

This a balancing act for sure. All we can do is win out - convincingly - and let the cards fall where they may.
We have to hope that the 6-1 Navy Midshipmen can take the Tigers down. Your country is depending on you future officers.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

Here is my take. IMO Win and Ins go all the way down to Florida State. I don't see any two loss team getting in unless there is a lot of losing. That includes Ole Miss winning out.

1. Clemson Win and In
Florida State KO
Syracuse
Wake Forrest
South Carolina
ACC Championship Game

2. LSU Win and In
Alabama KO
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Texas A&M
SEC Championship Game KO Florida

3. Ohio State Win and in
Minnesota
Illinois
Michigan State KO
Michigan
B10 Championship KO Iowa

4. Alabama Needs help
LSU KO
Mississippi State
Charleston Southern
Auburn
SEC Championship Game (with help) KO Florida

5. Notre Dame Needs a LOT of help
Pittsburgh
Wake Forest
Boston College
Stanford KO

6. Baylor Win and in
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State KO
TCU KO

7. Michigan State Win and in
Nebraska
Maryland
Ohio State KO
Penn State
B10 Championship Game KO Iowa

8. TCU Win and in
Oklahoma State KO
Kansas
Oklahoma
Baylor KO

9. Iowa Win and in
Indiana
Minnesota
Purdue
Nebraska
B10 Championship Game KO Ohio State

10. Florida Win and in
Vanderbilt
South Carolina
Florida Atlantic
Florida State KO
SEC Championship Game KO Alabama/LSU

11. Stanford Needs help
Colorado
Oregon
California
Notre Dame KO
P12 Championship Game KO Utah if they get help

12. Utah Needs help
Washington
Arizona
UCLA
Colorado
P12 Championship Game KO Stanford if they get help

13. Memphis AAC has been impressive, but I just don't see it without a LOT of losing.
Navy
Houston
Temple
SMU
AAC Championship Game

14. Oklahoma State Win and in
TCU KO
Iowa State
Baylor KO
Oklahoma

15. Florida State Win and in
Clemson KO
North Carolina State
Chattanooga
Florida KO
ACC Championship Even if North Carolina wins out I don't see this as a KO

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.