Have we turned the corner from Participation Trophies?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I've coached youth track. I don't think it's a bad idea for the younger kids to keep them engaged, and that's what we did. They do need to learn what it's like to lose as they get older though.

Get ready for tears if your kids ever run track. My middle one was bawling when she lost badly on her first race, which was a 400 meter, but she found her niche on the 50 through 200 meter races, shot put and long jump, and started winning ribbons. Swept one meet in those events shortly thereafter.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Does the fate of the Republic rest on giving a 5 year old a team trophy at an end of season party. Me thinks not. Give the kiddies a trophy I say!

Sure as heck shouldn't say "participant". Kids name team name and year. Not only am I a libtard elite but I am also a long time youth sports coach and administrator. The kids outgrow the desire for trophies after a while.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Does the fate of the Republic rest on giving a 5 year old a team trophy at an end of season party. Me thinks not. Give the kiddies a trophy I say!

Sure as heck shouldn't say "participant". Kids name team name and year. Not only am I a libtard elite but I am also a long time youth sports coach and administrator. The kids outgrow the desire for trophies after a while.
Now they did get trophies at the end of the year. That's my Sadie bug on the left. The one the crashed on her first event but then figured out what she was good at and started winning.

And this is my Jillian, who also won a few events this year.

But the the meets were merit based. You win a ribbon, except 1st, where you won a medal. Sadie bug there has 3 wins and a 2nd place.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I do not think that the fate of the republic rests on 5 year olds getting trophies.
20 year-olds getting trophies for participating would be a problem.
The problem is that we, as Americans, suck at discernment: judging that "this one is worthy and that one is not," so we punt. In this case, most folks would agree that a five year old getting a participation trophy is not a problem, but what about a six-year old? Seven? Ten? 20? We suck at discernment so we just say, "Heck, give everyone a trophy, all the time."
In adulthood, you don't get participation trophies: there are winners and losers.
George S. Patton said:
When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big-league ball players and the toughest boxers. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. That's why Americans have never lost and will never lose a war. The very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.
At some point in a young person's life (not at 5, but certainly by adulthood), it is important for them personally and for the health of the republic that Americans learn to love winning and learn to hate losing.
I have dealt with young adults (and their parents, there may be a causal relationship there) who have never learned that lesson and reality slaps them upside the head and they don't understand why or how.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I never miss an opportunity to brag on my kids. Little athletes, just like dad. :biggrin2:
#2 son runs track and cross country. He doesn't place, but I'm happy that he likes running and that he sets a new personal record at most every meet thus far.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I do not think that the fate of the republic rests on 5 year olds getting trophies.
20 year-olds getting trophies for participating would be a problem.
The problem is that we, as Americans, suck at discernment: judging that "this one is worthy and that one is not," so we punt. In this case, most folks would agree that a five year old getting a participation trophy is not a problem, but what about a six-year old? Seven? Ten? 20? We suck at discernment so we just say, "Heck, give everyone a trophy, all the time."
In adulthood, you don't get participation trophies: there are winners and losers.

At some point in a young person's life (not at 5, but certainly by adulthood), it is important for them personally and for the health of the republic that Americans learn to love winning and learn to hate losing.
I have dealt with young adults (and their parents, there may be a causal relationship there) who have never learned that lesson and reality slaps them upside the head and they don't understand why or how.
Wonder what General Patton would have said about Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I hate participation trophies as a general rule. However, when kids are little, a trophy and a cupcake party is part of the fun and actually makes some of the them stick with the sport when they may have quit otherwise. Once you get to playing "real" baseball, football, basketball, etc. that should stop. You should be rewarded for your accomplishments. For us, that started when we started kid pitch baseball (age 9), tackle football (age above mighty mite which is around 9) and basketball when they have championship games. We had parents complain in baseball the year my husband stopped giving trophies which was first year of kid pitch, age 9. We lost half of our games and promptly told complaining parents that when you lose as much as we did, that is nothing to celebrate or memorialize with a trophy. If you don't like it, tough. Age 9-10 is a good age to start weeding out the kids who are only there for the trophy and not there to improve their skills and start playing seriously. And, yes you can still be serious and have fun. ;)

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Had to look that one up :)
I think Patton just liked fighting for the virtues it brings out in humanity: fortitude, perseverance, sacrifice. I don't think he was overly concerned for the context.

I look at war as a tool in the statesman's toolbox. A violent tool, but a tool. There are others, but this is frequently the ultima ratio regum.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
There should be no trophies, medals, etc awarded to any kid when coaches and parents are actively part of the game directing where and what to do. All that is is organized play time and not actual competition where there are winners and losers based on their merits.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I guess one good thing about everybody getting trophies is that if you have a Trophy Business (making or selling them) you'll be financially rewarded.

Are kids going to expect a trophy for everything they do. Mom says, "John, take out the garbage/trash." John says, "Mom if I don't get a trophy, then Dan can do it." My Mom would have said, "Go get me a large limb off that willow bush NOW!!!!!!!!!!!" I would have been afraid to get a small limb off that bush, because my punishment would have been much worse.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
May not make sense but I hate losing more than I like winning and I like to win. :)
Winning is more fun than losing. Parents would tell me "we just want the kids to have fun". I would reply that "if having fun is our main goal we'd just throw the ball out on the field and the kids could do as they want to".

The goal of a youth coach is to teach the fundamentals of the sport and instill a love for the game. Getting beaten like a rag doll in every game gets old real fast.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.