Top 5 SEC RBs in last 30 years.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
In no particular order, because they were from different eras but my list would have to include

Mark Ingram, Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Shaun Alexander, Bobby Humphrey

Could make it: Bo Scar (just kidding... I know he has to prove himself...) I would say Henry or Fournette. Both are at the top this year. Chubb might have been in the mix if he had not gotten injured.
I agree with those. For me its terrible hard to just go back 30 years, integration is a much better starting point, it's the modern era.

On Alexander, who went on to be all Decade in the NFL, he was our closest RB to Bo and Herchel as far as talent. I sometimes wonder if he underachieved, despite all his success. When playing at 100% of his ability, like he did many times, he was hands down the most dangerous running back. The closest was Lacy 2nd half Jr. year.

Henry reminds me more of Alexander than our most recent RB's. I think Tyren Jones would have been as good as Mark and Trent, I would love to see him back next year.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Personally, I think Mark Ingram was underrated. Yeah, he won the Heisman but like many on your lists, he could put a team on his back and carry them most games. Lately, I've only seen Leonard Fournette do that. Not taking anything away from Ezekial Elliott but he can be a little spotty.

Last edited:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Mark Ingram
Trent Richardson
Deuce McAllister
Garrison Hearst
Emmitt Smith

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
In no order...

Mark Ingram
Deuce McAllister
Emmitt Smith
Darren McFadden
Carnell Williams

Honorable Mention: Travis Henry, Shaun Alexander, Ronnie Brown, Trent Richardson, every Georgia RB who would have made the list but got hurt

If Fournette continues his streak of domination and not getting hurt, he will go down as the best RB in SEC history. No one has put up the numbers he has, and if he keeps doing it against top quality teams he will secure his place at the top. He's going to have to figure out a way past the stone wall in Tuscaloosa this weekend first though.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You know Bo Jackson had to change his name to be able to (for standards at the time) successfully write his name at the top of his papers to be able to pass and thus be eligible....

His birth given name was Bob!!!

I kid!!! I kid!!!! Sorry......[emoji19]

An athlete beyond his time....too bad he chose the dark side...........
makes me remember this

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Since he played both receiver and running back (and kick returner and quarterback), I would throw David Palmer in the mix as an honorable mention.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Since he played both receiver and running back (and kick returner and quarterback), I would throw David Palmer in the mix as an honorable mention.
He saved the 1993 Tennessee game for us with his clutch catches on the final drive and the 2 point conversion. He also almost saved us against LSU that year if Stallings would have put him in at QB earlier in the game. I think it was also that year that he took over the Ole Miss game and won it for us. I would say he is the greatest athlete to come out of Tuscaloosa.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.