9 Year Old 3rd Grader in Ohio Dies After Football Practice.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
You have to ride to school, you don't have to play football.

7 kids have died playing high school football so far this year.

You can call that a statistical outlier if you like...I call it a senseless and avoidable loss of life.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Because it is okay that football kills people as long as other things do, too?

Willfully ignorant, not ignorant. Means that you are ignoring your own knowledge and understanding of a subject simply because it does not align with your world view or with your opinion.
You have taken a story about a little boy's very unfortunate death, that at this point has no evidence that it was related to football other than where he was at the time, and used it to express your own world view. My statement that in youth sports, there are many other activities that are more likely to result in serious injury- IE Concussions- than football is factual.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You have taken a story about a little boy's very unfortunate death, that at this point has no evidence that it was related to football other than where he was at the time, and used it to express your own world view. My statement that in youth sports, there are many other activities that are more likely to result in serious injury- IE Concussions- than football is factual.

Agree that we have no idea whether or not this boy's death is football related, and that it likely isn't. But threads are like rivers - they flow in different directions. Sorry if you didn't like the direction that I took this one in, but I feel pretty strongly that football is hurting a lot of people, and that the younger they are when they start playing, the more likely they are to get seriously injured.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I am in my 36th year as a Parks & Recreation Professional. Please tell me where there is evidence that playing football at a younger age is any more likely to result in injury than other youth sport.
I would argue the older you are playing football...High School, College, Pros...the more likely you are to become seriously injured.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
We make choices in our lives everyday that could lead to our deaths. We come, we go, we work, we play. I agree every precaution available should be made to prevent injuries and deaths in sports. They are tragic but the decision to play a sport should be made by the individual (and parents if a child), not by those who believe they can better judge how we should live our lives than we can.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
No one here has suggested that anyone else stop their kids from playing football. Not sure where that came from.

@ alwayshavebeen - found this in less than 30 seconds:

https://www.minnpost.com/second-opinion/2015/01/children-football-and-long-term-effects-brain-injuries-new-troubling-findings
And I assume you read this part as well - "This study, like all others, has its limitations. Its design does not make it possible to draw a causal link between playing football at an early age and later cognitive problems — even among professional players. In addition, a relatively small number of players were involved, and all head injuries experienced by each player at each stage of his life can’t be known for sure." Got any more "studies" to share?

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
You have presented no facts which support your point of view. Why are you making this so personal?
As I said, youth sports, all of them, is my business and I have every resource to get my information. Not making this personal, but I get passionate when I hear people say youth football is too dangerous (or as you said "kills people") and kids should play other sports when the facts are clear that in youth sports there is no evidence whatsoever that is true. Actually, in regards to concussions, girl's soccer is the leader by a long shot in percentage of players suffering head injuries.
Baseball is another interesting story. More kids are having Tommy John surgery than ever before.
Here are some more facts if you care to read, and care about youth sports in general, that people who stick their kids in "select or travel" ball refuse to understand http://www.cleveland.com/dman/index.ssf/2013/02/noted_surgeon_dr_james_andrews.html

On to other stuff. RTR!

Last edited:

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Let's just all get in bubbles and quit enjoying life. Nobody knows what killed this child. He died at football practice. Could have been a heart defect, a bee sting, an aneurysm--anything. It is very possible that what killed him could have happened at home or school. I offer prayers to this family and community. Leave it to the media to insinuate that football killed this kid, even though all coaches and witnesses say it was a light practice with no hitting. Very sad for the family.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.