Question: If you were the coach what would you do if we win the toss Saturday?

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
You, me, and Bill Belichek agree. [emoji6]
@Home and with a stout D, it's a no-brainer. Then there's genius Mike McCarthy of the Packers, whose team wasn't @Lambeau nor shows any semblance of having a defense. You do have an offense that dwarfs the league in first-quarter points scored and wins by playing from ahead. So you defer at the new Mile High and...500 more yards yielded by your purported D and a Peyton resurrection later...Genius

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
I'm siding with the defer group.

Not only does it put our best unit on the field to start the game, but getting the ball to start the second half gives you two things:
1) The ability to maintain momentum if you are ahead coming out of halftime.
2) The ability to establish momentum if you didn't fare well in the first half.

It may be the coffee talking this morning...but part of me feels like the only thing LSU has a fair chance of winning on Saturday is the coin toss. RTR

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
Take the ball. Set the tempo for the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This. You definitely don't want to allow them the opportunity to potentially drive the field on the first series, but that's exactly what you want from your offense. Best way to beat Fournette is to keep him on the bench.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
@Home and with a stout D, it's a no-brainer. Then there's genius Mike McCarthy of the Packers, whose team wasn't @Lambeau nor shows any semblance of having a defense. You do have an offense that dwarfs the league in first-quarter points scored and wins by playing from ahead. So you defer at the new Mile High and...500 more yards yielded by your purported D and a Peyton resurrection later...Genius
Hey. No reason to get the Pack involved :wink:. I'm still bummed over the game.

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
Saban noted after the Georgia game that with the weather he wanted to score first and early to avoid having to come back due to the weather conditions. This leads me to believe if given the chance he will receive.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Saban noted after the Georgia game that with the weather he wanted to score first and early to avoid having to come back due to the weather conditions. This leads me to believe if given the chance he will receive.
Good point. Weather may be the thumb on the scales...

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
To the question I think defer and try to get them 3 and out and establish field position. Somebody try to help me here... I am almost certain Coach Stallings elected to kick against someone and wound up kicking to start both halves???

EDIT: Actually Arky kicked to us both halves in 1994.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Play to your strength - defer. Especially if it's raining at kickoff.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
If you defer it doesn't mean you kick off. The other team has the choice to kick or receive.

You get that same choice to start the 2nd.

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
only idiots choose to kick off if you defer because that gives the ball to the team that deferred both halves. In other words if Bama defers and LSU chooses to Kick Off, Bama gets to take the ball at the start of both the first and second half....LSU would have given up their right to choose.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.