Russian plane downed in the Sinai.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
What is funny is that this is a violation of the Geneva Convention. Shooting paratroopers under canopy is legal, but shooting air crew abandoning a disabled plane is not.
I had to look it up, but Turkey is one of the countries that never ratified Protocol 1, so who knows if they consider it a war crime or not.

"As of June 2013, it had been ratified by 174 states, with the United States, Israel, Iran, Pakistan, India, and Turkey being notable exceptions. However, the United States, Iran, and Pakistan signed it on 12 December 1977, which signifies an intention to work towards ratifying it. According to an appeal by the International Committee of the Red Cross in 1997, a number of the articles contained in both protocols are recognized as rules of customary international law valid for all states, whether they have ratified them or not."

If it's true they were shot while parachuting down, it makes this situation potentially a whole lot worse.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Even that would be legal if done in retaliation for the Soviet commander executing partisan prisoners while in Soviet hands, once the partisan commander had notified the Soviet commander that the act was in retaliation for Soviet atrocities.
There was an event that precedes the Geneva Convention, but still within its spirit. In 1864, Confederate commander John S. Mosby's command was so successful against that Yankee punk Phil Sheridan's men that Phil murdered some of Mosby's men who fell into Yankee hands. Mosby, a law student before the war, said, "fine." His men captured several of Phil's men, and hanged them. and sent a note to Phil, that this was in retaliation for Phil's past crimes. The note then said, thereafter, "any [Union] prisoners falling into my hands will be treated with the kindness due to their condition, unless some new act of barbarity [by the Yankees] shall compel me, reluctantly, to adopt a line of policy repugnant to humanity."

Phil stopped executing prisoners.

Phil was a criminal and a punk, but he understood lex talionis.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I had to look it up, but Turkey is one of the countries that never ratified Protocol 1, so who knows if they consider it a war crime or not.

"As of June 2013, it had been ratified by 174 states, with the United States, Israel, Iran, Pakistan, India, and Turkey being notable exceptions. However, the United States, Iran, and Pakistan signed it on 12 December 1977, which signifies an intention to work towards raifying it. According to an appeal by the International Committee of the Red Cross in 1997, a number of the articles contained in both protocols are recognized as rules of customary international law valid for all states, whether they have ratified them or not."

If it's true they were shot while parachuting down, it makes this situation potentially a whole lot worse.
Yeah, at a certain point, widespread principle of jus gentium becomes binding on all, even if they are not signatories.

That said, I'm not sure the guys doing the shooting were Turkish regular soldiers. In fact, I'm fairly certain they were not Turkish soldiers. The video I watched earlier has been taken down, however.
The Turks may have sot down the plane, but these are the jokers who shot at the pilots parachuting from the crippled Su-24.

These guys are probably not Turkish soldiers (although one of them looks like Troy Polamalu).

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Now, this is an American piece of kit: a TOW (Tube-launched, Optically-tracked, Wire-guided) missile.

This appears to be what the Free Syrian Army did with it:

It is alleged that this is a Russian Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR) helicopter going to recover the pilots.
Not sure how much blame the Russians are going to attach to the US for the use of this kit against their soldiers.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah, at a certain point, widespread principle of jus gentium becomes binding on all, even if they are not signatories.

That said, I'm not sure the guys doing the shooting were Turkish regular soldiers. In fact, I'm fairly certain they were not Turkish soldiers. The video I watched earlier has been taken down, however.
The Turks may have sot down the plane, but these are the jokers who shot at the pilots parachuting from the crippled Su-24.

These guys are probably not Turkish soldiers (although one of them looks like Troy Polamalu).
so, what's up with the one wus wearing a balaclava? he doesn't want his mom to know what he's doing?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
so, what's up with the one wus wearing a balaclava? he doesn't want his mom to know what he's doing?
He could be a Turkish officer working with the FSA.
Or, maybe be was cold.
If he was trying to hide his identity, who not just avoid the obviously posed photo?
Cameraman: "Achmed, move to the left a little bit. Mohamed, scoot in a little. Ready, everyone say 'jeeeeeeeee-had'!"

Balaclava Boy: "Wait, you're going to photograph us? I don't want my wife to know I'm fighting with the Free Syrian Army. She thinks I play piano at a bordello. Let me step out of the frame."

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Or, maybe be was cold.
If he was trying to hide his identity, who not just avoid the obviously posed photo?
Cameraman: "Achmed, move to the left a little bit. Mohamed, scoot in a little. Ready, everyone say 'jeeeeeeeee-had'!"

Balaclava Boy: "Wait, you're going to photograph us? I don't want my wife to know I'm fighting with the Free Syrian Army. She thinks I play piano at a bordello. Let me step out of the frame."
reminds me a little of this

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Or, maybe be was cold.

That was hilarious.
Is that an Arabic version of Gene Simmon to the left of the guy in the light green undershirt?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Egypt accuses an Egyptian mechanic of planting a bomb on the Russian airliner.

I have to admit, this was the scenario I was imagining daesh would have used. A little back-shish here, "look the other way," and boom.

That said, the guy could have been framed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.