Props for Saban: Cris Carter on Mike & Mike

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Listened to Mike & Mike on the way in to work this AM.

Was pleasantly surprised to hear Chris Carter (father of Duron Carter) give Nick Saban huge props on player relations. Went on and on about how much kids love playing for him.

Even mentioned the difficult conversation when Saban booted Duron off the team. Even in the face of that, Chris STILL had nothing but good things to say about Saban, how much he loves teaching, and how much of his priorities are in developing young men, many of whom have never had to link actions with consequences.

In today's world of helicopter parents believing that their little Johnny is genetically incapable of anything short of angelic perfection, I thought it spoke volumes about Chris Carter and Saban both.

I'm not the most technically gifted, but if there's a podcast out there, it would have aired at very roughly 7:25 to 7:35 or so, Central Time.

It was good to hear the national talking heads tell the full story for once.

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Re: Props for Saban: Chris Carter on Mike & Mike

I really think Duron is going to have a break-out season for us next year.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

This was a great few minutes listening to Coach Saban and Chris Carter and even Joey Galloway sing Coach Saban's praises.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Listened to Mike & Mike on the way in to work this AM.

Was pleasantly surprised to hear Chris Carter (father of Duron Carter) give Nick Saban huge props on player relations. Went on and on about how much kids love playing for him.

Even mentioned the difficult conversation when Saban booted Duron off the team. Even in the face of that, Chris STILL had nothing but good things to say about Saban, how much he loves teaching, and how much of his priorities are in developing young men, many of whom have never had to link actions with consequences.

In today's world of helicopter parents believing that their little Johnny is genetically incapable of anything short of angelic perfection, I thought it spoke volumes about Chris Carter and Saban both.

I'm not the most technically gifted, but if there's a podcast out there, it would have aired at very roughly 7:25 to 7:35 or so, Central Time.

It was good to hear the national talking heads tell the full story for once.
That is because CNS, true to form, did everything worldly possible to get Duron on the right path regardless of whether he every played a down of football at Alabama or not. Just like he did for Darrington Sentimore and many others even after he had parted ways with them from a football standpoint.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

There was a time when I didn't care for Cris Carter that much. That opinion has changed drastically over the years.

Not that it has to do with the thread, but similarly the same goes (probably even more drastic difference) for Michael Irving.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

There was a time when I didn't care for Cris Carter that much. That opinion has changed drastically over the years.
After hearing C. Carter today talk about Coach Saban, ESPN needs to match him with someone for his/their, but NOT that Kennel guy) own program. I've heard him several times on the Mikes & Mike show, and he contributes good info.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Not that it has to do with the thread, but similarly the same goes (probably even more drastic difference) for Michael Irving.
I would agree with you completely on Cris. He was his own worst enemy early in his career, and then really turned himself around. But, as far as I've ever heard, the damage he did was only to himself and he was always a generally nice guy. On the other hand, Michael Irvin was always a scumbag who left destruction (to himself and others) in his wake for years and treated almost everybody like dirt. I look at him pretty much the same as I do Ray Lewis.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Cris has always had props for Coach ever since Duron came on the team. I think he understood how his boy was and of course never blamed Coach for it. I think deep down he wished he could have played for Coach Saban and nothing wrong with that!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

This is a reflection of life in general. What people see is likely not exactly accurate. I am glad this was posted because it gives a personal view from the inside under trying circumstances

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.