Black Mizzou players say they'll strike until president Tim Wolfe resigns

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Sorry, Tidewater,but as an old white man who is only concerned about money you are not qualified to speak on the subject. We are now going to exercise our right to walk forward and use our muscles to shut you up, push you out, and actively marginalize you.

What is happening in this country is definitely sad. Some think their "right" to not have their feelings hurt trumps others' true right to speak freely, to exercise their conscience, freedom of association, and so on. When those crying "racial disparity" and "exclusion" actively call for racial disparity and exclusion it is an afront to the fairness they supposedly desire. To say that as a white man I can speak on race or abortion or being poor or whatever else is disrespectful and racially and gender discriminatory. When a group seeks to end disparaging practice by implementing disparaging practices disparaging practices will not end but will be perpetuated by the formerly oppressed group. When any minor incident of harassment must be addressed by those at the highest levels the shark has been jumped. That is simply an attempt to use Alinsky's Rules to achieve their goals. Apparently the Rules can be highly effective.

There are definite problems on that campus, which is a microcosm of the US. The protesters have some legitimate complaints and some in administration and some anonymous actors have behaved shamefully. The protesters' demands and behavior are shameful. Their disregard of basic human rights is shameful.

I am all for dialogue and ending any discriminatory practices and fairness and so on. That is why I cannot in good conscience support these particular protesters.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Missouri protesters sully cause with combative attitudes and ill-advised tweets
Okay so Concerned Student 1950 holds a rally on public property and put up, "No media" signs. A UM student shows up with a camera, and a crowd surrounds him and starts pushing him back, yelling, "Respect their space. No media!"
Apparently the antidote to "white privilege" is, wait for it, "black privilege."
This I just don't understand. Holding a rally on public property, but demanding that any other student with a camera not be allowed near, or not be allowed to photograph the proceedings? Where does that power come from?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I pity the day when some of you have to answer to God for your lack of empathy.
I'm not really sure what to make of that. If an African-American student were to truly experience race prejudice, I'd empathize and I'd be happy to stand with him or her.
I just haven't seen that in the Missouri story, at least not so far.

They heard something offensive, and they demand the university president resign? I hear things I consider offensive all the time, but that does not give me the power to shut the speaker down. I can avert my eyes, change the channel, counter their arguments. But silencing those with different viewpoints is not how a civil society works.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
I'm not really sure what to make of that. If an African-American student were to truly experience race prejudice, I'd empathize and I'd be happy to stand with him or her.
I just haven't seen that in the Missouri story, at least not so far.

They heard something offensive, and they demand the university president resign? I hear things I consider offensive all the time, but that does not give me the power to shut the speaker down. I can avert my eyes, change the channel, counter their arguments. But silencing those with different viewpoints is not how a civil society works.
This is no longer about creating opportunity, fairness, and a civil society

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Looks like everyone is not "down with the struggle". (Isn't that the lingo the kids use these days?)

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/11/10/missouri-students-use-social-media-blast-protesters/

Today I learned that my university is run by its football team. Today I learned that the media cares more about creating a story than uncovering the truth. Today I learned that the right of a small group to protest is more important than the entire student body’s right to the education they pay for. Today I learned that one man is responsible for the heinous actions of a few campus racists. Today I learned that not supporting one group protesting racism makes you a racist, even though you support the fight against racism–just not that specific group. Today I am not proud to be a tiger.
Must be a racist, to hold those views, right?

No, just means they are not part of the rabble.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Pinkel and Mizzou AD Mack Rhoades talk to the media on Monday

Missouri coach Gary Pinkel said Monday he supported his players' decision to deliver an ultimatum – they would boycott football until the University of Missouri system's president resigned or was removed from his position – because "a young man's life was on the line."

Tim Wolfe, the president of the University of Missouri system, resigned Monday morning after growing turmoil on campus over what protesting students and players saw as a pattern of continued race issues that were being ignored by the school's leadership.

Missouri chancellor R. Bowen Loftin also stepped down Monday afternoon, effective the end of the year, after eight deans called for his dismissal.

But Pinkel said of the team's activism: "It had nothing to do with anyone losing their job."

Pinkel and Missouri athletic director Mack Rhoades said their concern was twofold: for an emotional group of football players and for the health of Jonathan Butler, the graduate student was was on a voluntary hunger strike while calling for Wolfe's ouster.
Gary, do you realize what your players wanted when they boycotted? Do you realize what you were supporting when you supported them?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You mean right after He rains fireballs on America for legalizing gay marriage?

(And I've always heard it was only conservatives who were stupid enough to invoke God; you learn something new every day).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well darn. I did have a football related question.

Did I hear Pinkel say that the players came to him and told (or asked) him that they wanted to go to campus and be apart of campus life? It seemed like he gave his permission for them to go to campus to see what was going on. Where do the players live and go to class that they are not regularly on campus? My son sees our players on campus all the time. Friends of his have had classes with our players. What is different at UM?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I saw that and was totally puzzled by it. Another long-time member has told me that racial incidents - some black directed at whites - go back years there. He recommended "The System," by Jeff Benedict, and it has an entire chapter devoted to the UM incidents. (We get off light, BTW, and we haven't even a hint of an UM atmosphere.) The suicide of a white female diver because of an alleged assault by a black athlete is examined...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I saw that and was totally puzzled by it. Another long-time member has told me that racial incidents - some black directed at whites - go back years there. He recommended "The System," by Jeff Benedict, and it has an entire chapter devoted to the UM incidents. (We get off light, BTW, and we haven't even a hint of an UM atmosphere.) The suicide of a white female diver because of an alleged assault by a black athlete is examined...
That book is worthy of an entire thread. It's an unreal read. Made me not care as much about college football as I once did.

tidegrandpa

All-American
After watching film of the 'victims/students/protesters' I in no way consider this about racial issues. I thought this was a university. Do these people not have classes?
Or maybe they are not students at all. And if they are, most will be there on our dime, and the UNCF.

What a ruse.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
And from the AP:

Members of the Missouri Legislative Black Caucus are scheduled to meet with University of Missouri protesters after the ouster of the university's top two campus leaders.

State Rep. Brandon Ellington, a Democrat from Kansas City, says the caucus also plans to meet with university officials later Tuesday after they meet with the students on the Columbia campus. Ellington says he expects about a dozen of the 19 members of the Black Caucus to participate in the meetings.

Complaints about racism had been brewing for months at the flagship University of Missouri campus. Students took action, which led to the announcement Monday that the university system's president and the campus chancellor would resign.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Also, Mizzou police sent this e-mail today:

Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:52 AM
To: MU POLICE
Subject: Reporting Hateful and/or Hurtful Speech

To continue to ensure that the University of Missouri campus remains safe, the MU Police Department (MUPD) is asking individuals who witness incidents of hateful and/or hurtful speech or actions to:

Call the police immediately at 573-882-7201. (If you are in an emergency situation, dial 911.)
Give the communications operator a summary of the incident, including location.
Provide a detailed description of the individual(s) involved.
Provide a license plate and vehicle descriptions (if appropriate).
If possible and if it can be done safely, take a photo of the individual(s) with your cell phone.
Delays, including posting information to social media, can often reduce the chances of identifying the responsible parties. While cases of hateful and hurtful speech are not crimes, if the individual(s) identified are students, MU's Office of Student Conduct can take disciplinary action."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Also, Mizzou police sent this e-mail today:
To continue to ensure that the University of Missouri campus remains safe, the MU Police Department (MUPD) is asking individuals who witness incidents of hateful and/or hurtful speech or actions to: Call the police immediately at 573-882-7201. (If you are in an emergency situation, dial 911.)
Wow. Would, "Your football team really stinks on the football field" be considered "hurtful speech?"

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
The Missouri campus is so racist that the student body elected a black man as their president. The result is what we see now. The United States is so racist it elected a black man as president and the result is more racial strife and protest than we have experienced in decades. The racism card was losing its relevance so the narrative had to be given new life for the political opportunists to reap gain from it. The few despicable acts of racist imbeciles are being blown up by the media to renew the anger and feeling of being victimized in black Americans. Opportunists on top take advantage of the chaos and opportunists on the bottom take advantage of whatever they can gain from the chaos. Just think of all these people could accomplish if they put this much effort into achievement rather than whining and tearing others down. I see their potential, it's too bad they don't and want to demand rather than persuade.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I try to be fair and despite my ripping of Pinkel for apparently NOT knowing what he's standing for, I suspect there's a ton of politics going on here in multiple ways.

First of all, college Presidents have spies everywhere. I doubt this caught Wolfe completely unprepared. I highly suspect he was already planning the first ticket out of town and now he survives without being the guy who caused a riot or was in charge when the National Guard fired upon protesters (being facetious but pick all the possibilities in between and not one of them is good for Wolfe's future).

Secondly, Pinkel is sort of caught here in events beyond his control. He has a bunch of black football players and black recruits who (presumably) are watching this. I DO think in many cases that the case is overstated (e.g. while I would never say the Rebel flag/MS state flag has NEVER caused a guy to not go to Ole Miss, they sure do seem to have a lot of talented black players through the years despite that alleged problem; in fact, I know of a couple personally back in 1988 who would not even consider Ole Miss because back then they flew the Rebel flag at the games).

But maybe Pinkel figures, "I'm already on the hot seat with my lousy record here, and if I side against my black players I'll ruin the chance to recruit more of them, so I'll play it safe and side with the players - and then I'll pretend to be a complete idiot who didn't know about the demands for Wolfe's firing. People will believe it given they've seen how lousy my football team is anyway").

I kinda wish my UM alum cousin would write me on FB, but I don't want to push it right now. She has a Master's from there and went to school there 7-8 years, so she would have some knowledge of what she saw (and unlike my other cousin, I've never heard a racist epithet from her in over 30 years).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
now you are just trolling. Again unless you can conclude this was more than a few hicks being turds then I don't see why it was a national issue, and I seriously don't see why you are going to extremes against people that disagree with the magnitude of the protest and not the use of the term that was slurred was out of line. Come on man

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Well, since no one else has brought this up....................

All this "poop swastika" nonsense.......

It was directed at the black students, so the had to take action? Seriously?

Where were the ZBTs? The ADL? You expect me to believe there is no B'nai B'rith, in St. Louis?

More codswallop. Funny thing is the biggest difference between "notzys" and commies is the color of their shirt.

That, and one imposes fascism with voting, and the other at the point of a gun. Guess which one was on display yesterday. (If I have to splain it to you, then there is no splaining it to you.)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.