Black Mizzou players say they'll strike until president Tim Wolfe resigns

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
This whole thing seems very bizarro world and Orwellian to me.

In review, after reading numerous accounts, articles, and seeing several videos it appears the whole thing goes back mainly to a set of DEMANDS - not requests, but DEMANDS - put forth a month or so back regarding graduate student benefits. Now, I agree they had some valid concerns regarding health care. MU apparently notified Grad students via email about health care cuts only 13 hours before their benefits were to begin, and 13 days after international students benefits had begun. Just plain bad business - but business directed at ALL GS, not just a faction.

So the Grad Students quickly responded with their own demands...

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/8/26/start-movement-graduate-students-walk-out/
Graduate students plan to participate in an all-day celebration of their worth to the university Wednesday that some are calling a “walkout.” The event is being held in response to the administration failing to meet the deadline for seven demands listed by graduate students last week.

Issued on Aug. 19, the Forum on Graduate Rights gave administrators six days to put forth a plan addressing their demands. That initial release said graduate students would walk out at noon Aug. 26. A later release called for an all-day walk out.

The event will take place from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., and students will rally at the Columns from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.
According to the release, their demands were as follows:

-- A guarantee that no graduate student employee be paid at a rate below the individual poverty line regardless of their appointment status, department or college.
-- A guarantee that all graduate student employees receive full tuition waivers, regardless of their full-time equivalent appointment.

-- Revised Aug. 22: a fully-subsidized student health care plan for all graduate student employees that is guaranteed for the full term of their graduate student employment.

-- Immediate action on the part of the university to ease the burden on international students caused by the loss of their health insurance subsidy.
-- More and affordable university-sponsored graduate student housing.
-- A return of affordable, on-campus, university-sponsored childcare facilities for graduate students.
-- Revised Aug. 22: A waiver of supplemental fees imposed by colleges, schools and departments for all graduate student employees.
After the demands were not IMMEDIATELY met, GS staged a "walk out" on August 26th.

"Nearly 1,000 graduate students and their supporters walked out of class and held a rally at Traditions Plaza on Aug. 26. The students chanted slogans condemning the university’s policy of giving raises to Chancellor Loftin and athletic coaches while taking away their basic benefits. Many students and faculty members spoke about how their lives had been affected by the changes and expressed what they wanted from the university to make it right."
http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/8/27/breaking-grad-part-1/

The next day, August 27th, the angst heightened when it was made known that MU had not reviewed Grad Student satisfaction survey data in ... TWELVE YEARS!

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/8/28/mu-administrators-havent-reviewed-graduate-satisfa/

"Faculty Council met Thursday to discuss issues surrounding graduate student health insurance. Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin, Vice Provost Garnett Stokes and Leona Rubin, Associate Vice Chancellor for Graduate Studies, were all in attendance to answer faculty member questions.

There was discussion about ways the university responds, or fails to respond, to the needs of graduate students.

“When graduate students graduate, they take a survey about the positives and negatives of their experience,” Rubin said. “For 12 years we haven’t looked at and analyzed that data, so our task force that we recently organized has started to look at those survey results.”

When asked by a faculty member why nobody in the administration has looked at the graduate student survey results for the past 12 years, Rubin responded, “I don’t know,”
Chancellor Loftin apologized for how he handled the graduate health care situation.
“Our grad students are an instrumental part in our commitment to being a tier one institution of higher education,” Loftin said. “Personally, I’m sorry for what happened, I really am.”"
So, as of now, we have a very real reason for concerns by ALL Grad Students, concerns on several fronts, including the way they are seen and valued by their own University.

But the narrative changes on September 12th, when Student Association President Payton Head takes to social media, alleging he was the victim of racial slurs.

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/9/16/msa-president-payton-head-combats-campus-discrimin/

Head was walking through MU’s campus on the night of Friday, Sept. 11 when a group of men in the back of a pickup truck yelled racial slurs at him as they passed. Saturday afternoon, he posted a Facebook status detailing the experience and calling for more awareness and discussion on the treatment of minorities.

It quickly went viral. Yet, it wasn’t just a rant.

He said in an interview that he wanted to focus on creating a dialogue instead of making the post about his own personal hurt.
But Mizzou was not just twiddling its thumbs - from the same article above...

From 2012 to 2015, nine hate crimes were reported to the MU Police Department. Four of the nine crimes occurred in 2015, including an incident in April where a swastika was burned onto the ceiling of a stairwell in Mark Twain Hall.

“We take every incident of bias and discrimination very seriously, and we are going to take any action we can against any perpetrators we can identify,” MU spokesperson Christian Basi said.
Basi elaborated on MU’s response to hate crimes or incidents of racial bias.

“We encourage any member of the university community who feels unsafe to contact the MUPD immediately,” Basi said. “We also encourage anyone who ever experienced or even witnessed what we call a biased incident involving discrimination within the MU community to file a bias report as quickly as possible.”

MU has offices devoted to expanding campus policies and behaviors to include students of every identity, including the Equity Office, the Chancellor's Diversity Initiative, the Disability Center and the LGBTQ Resource Center.
At the end of September, the Association of American Universities study on sexual misconduct revealed...

The study revealed that at MU, 38.8 percent of senior women had experienced some form of completed or attempted nonconsensual sexual contact during in their time on campus. Of the total student body, 24.1 percent of seniors were victims during their time at the university.

The survey also studied other forms of sexual violence, including sexual harassment, stalking and partner violence. Female students had the highest rate of sexual harassment, peaking at 64.4 percent for undergraduates and 52 percent for graduate students.
http://www.themaneater.com/special-sections/mu-fall-2015/

But NOW, what appears to be LEGIT concerns from students regarding certain issues with MU, take a turn towards race...

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/9/25/protest-reminds-students-faculty-racism-lives-here/

Graduate student Danielle Walker prefaced her speech by warning those assembled that she was going to use profanity and racial slurs.

“The University of Missouri does not care about its black students,” Walker said.

More than 100 students gathered at Speakers Circle on Sept. 24 to speak out against racism on MU’s campus, an event organizers called “Racism Lives Here.” The protest began at 1 p.m. with Walker shouting the group’s concerns into a megaphone while participants arranged themselves on the steps.

Many of them held signs with slogans such as “#LoftinCantExplain,” “#ColorBlind” and “Racism Lives Here.” The event concluded with the participants marching to Jesse Hall.
Protesters focused largely on the Missouri Students Association President Payton Head’s experience with racism, in which several white students yelled racial slurs at him from the back of a pickup truck, and Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin’s response.

Head attended the first part of the protest, but did not march to Jesse Hall with the rest of the group. MSA Co-Director of Communications David Wallace and Chief of Staff Kelcea Barnes were also present.
Participating students were primarily black, but there were students of other races in the crowd. One white man held a sign that read, “I recognize + acknowledge my white privilege.”

So, the Grad Students decided to play the race card in an effort to have their demands met. But they did not stop there, they also commenced their attacks on the white populous. Battle lines are being drawn...

Graduate student Reuben Faloughi, an active participant for the duration of the event, said he was disappointed with the number of white participants.

“White silence is consent for racism, sexism and every other ‘ism’ to continue on this campus,” Faloughi said. “It’s going to take a lot more white people than the ones who were there to effect change.”
When addressing the assembled crowd, Walker also expressed dissatisfaction with the low turnout of white activists.

“Even though you all may never utter a racial slur, you are just as guilty, because you are not speaking up,” Walker said. “You are not coming to terms with your friends, or your associates, or your family members, who may have a problem with ‘colored folk.’”
Meanwhile, campus tension increases when MU announces cancellation of certain agreements with Planned Parenthood, prompting a rally ...

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/9/30/mus-response-planned-parenthood-investigations-res/

McQuade said she hopes the rally pushes MU to reinstate privileges for physician Colleen McNicholas, who was able to perform medical abortions at the Columbia clinic, as well as reinstate contracts for students to be able to continue academic partnerships with Planned Parenthood.

“We want to continue to apply as much political pressure to MU to make them feel that they made the wrong decision, and so today is just the first step in galvanizing the public support that we know we have to push back on MU,” McQuade said.

McQuade said she feels Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin’s immediate response to the rally will be silence, and that’s why she said Planned Parenthood and its supporters must keep the pressure on to demand Loftin be held accountable.

Planned Parenthood is planning on doing just that by potentially filing a claim with the Department of Health and Human Services in Washington, D.C., sometime this week, McQuade said.
She said they will be analyzing whether MU violated the Church Amendments, a section of federal law that prohibits federally funded hospitals from discriminating against employing individuals based on their willingness or unwillingness to perform abortion services. McQuade said it is “to protect conscious on both sides of the issue.”
Now, Grad Students begin to unioninze over working condition concerns...

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/10/28/mu-coalition-graduate-workers-process-unionizing/

On October 1st, another "Racism Lives Here" Rally was staged in the MU Student Center...

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/10/1/second-racism-lives-here-event-calls-administratio/

“Do I have everyone’s attention?” said Danielle Walker, graduate student and organizer of “Racism Lives Here.” “We will be chanting, ‘No justice, no peace! White silence is violence!’”

Over 50 students gathered at 1 p.m. Thursday outside Mort’s in the Student Center to spread awareness about racism in the demonstration called “Racism Lives Here.” Led by Walker, the event followed the first “Racism Lives Here” march Sept. 24 at Speakers Circle and Jesse Hall, when participants reacted to the slow response regarding a hate crime against Missouri Students Association President Payton Head.

Many held signs with phrases like “I am not here because of affirmative action,” “Are you anti-Racist or nah?” and “#BlackLivesMatter.” Some held signs in reference to other minorities such as “..... and Trans POC Lives Matter,” and historical protests such as “#Bacons Rebellion 1676,” an allusion to the resentment against the governor of Virginia for unfair treatment of his citizens.
Next - the second alleged incident of racial slurring, directed at the "Legion of Black Collegians"...

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/10/5/lbc-homecoming-royalty-harassed-traditions-plaza/

But again, MU was not idle...

The MU Police Department identified the person who allegedly disrupted the Legion of Black Collegians 2015 Homecoming Royalty Court rehearsal on Sunday night, according to a statement from the Office of the Chancellor.

A suspect, presumably under the influence, had walked towards Traditions Plaza. The suspect then walked onto the stage and did not leave when asked. Once the suspect removed himself from the stage, the suspect used racial slurs and hurtful language toward LBC Royalty.

The individual in question was “moved” from campus by the Office of Student Conduct, and the outcome of the conduct process is pending, it stated.
In the statement, the Office of the Chancellor thanked LBC Royalty Court members for supporting one another and immediately reporting racist behavior to MUPD. MU students’ willingness to speak with MUPD helped identify the suspect, it stated.
After a "sit-in", the students then begin an assault on one of our Founding Fathers...

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/10/20/scca-creates-community-change/

On October 8th, Chancellor Loftin announces "Mandatory Diversity and inclusion Training"

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/10/8/chancellor-announces-campus-wide-diversity-and-inc/

Next on the timeline - the homecoming parade intervention...

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/10/16/lbc-supports-homecoming-protesters-administrators-/

http://www.themaneater.com/special-sections/mu-fall-2015/

The video in the second link exhibits an unnecessary militant tone in my opinion - I thought President Wolfe showed great restraint, and I saw no evidence of the car striking anyone, nor police abuse. I thought all parties handled the protestors with much more kindness and respect than they I would have. And certainly with more respect and tolerance than the protest group themselves showed.

Well, that shows how things unfolded up to the homecoming protest. I will go through the rest of the timeline later. I think it important to note this all really started with the Grad Student concerns, and over a couple of alleged incidents turned into "racism". You also see the same faces time and again at all these protests...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Good work, bub. Glad you brought up the Planned Parenthood fiasco, and the Jefferson "problem". (I knew about both, and did highlight one of them.)

Irony alert: they want to complain about no support for Planned Parenthood, but are ignorant to the beliefs of Margaret Sanger. (If you don't know what it is, I am not going to splain it to you. You lazy fascists are going to have to do your own research. Those who do know about her will have no problem understanding the irony of it all.)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I just wanted to step over here long enough to say I think that the job the media is doing here is despicable. Almost every report I've seen completely glossed over the "white privilege" part of the demands and so on. They are not doing their job.

Now, if you want to break it down you can say sure, there was some legitimate debate being made in the midst of all the nonsense. However, much of it had nothing at all to do with racism! Racism was simply used because the whole pro-abortion thing wasn't going to go over nearly as well, because some of the other issues were simply too boring and not going go gain traction.

So, a lot of people got used and tricked and the media (you can determine why for yourself) decided to go along with the charade. No, a poop swastika is not why all this happened. What you clearly have is far left elements, winning a battle which as has been demonstrated is pro-abortion, anti-Thomas Jefferson (who is in large part responsible for the rights they were exercising), and promoted other not just leftist ideology but radical ideology. This was not a victory for free speech, it was a defeat. This was not a victory for democracy it was a defeat. This was not a victory at all. It showed that bullies who want to subjugate others can win.

I despise racism, but I also despise the issue of racism being used to incite and manipulate people. People are afraid to even criticize the protesters, because you might get called a bigot (I was).

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Just me, but if I were forced to draw a swastika somewhere, I think poop would be pretty far down my list of art supplies I would consider for the project.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Just me, but if I were forced to draw a swastika somewhere, I think poop would be pretty far down my list of art supplies I would consider for the project.
This reminded me of this little gem:
Soldier Identified In Swastika Painting
A black support soldier assigned to the 7th Special Forces Group at Ft. Bragg, NC was being separated from the service involuntarily for some lack of fitness for the service. To raise a fuss and show how racist the unit was, he spray-painted swastikas on seven barracks doors, five rooms occupied by black soldiers, and two unoccupied rooms, that had recently been occupied by black soldiers. Big fuss in the media, then it turned out the guy that did it was African-American. Media then drops the story like a hot potato.

Not saying that was what happened in Columbia, but I do not think I would reach for some poo if I was going to paint something on the wall.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Well, since no one else has brought this up....................

All this "poop swastika" nonsense.......

It was directed at the black students, so the had to take action? Seriously?

Where were the ZBTs? The ADL? You expect me to believe there is no B'nai B'rith, in St. Louis?

More codswallop. Funny thing is the biggest difference between "notzys" and commies is the color of their shirt.

That, and one imposes fascism with voting, and the other at the point of a gun. Guess which one was on display yesterday. (If I have to splain it to you, then there is no splaining it to you.)
i read that several jewish student groups as well as other jewish groups had also been trying to get action from the president and had signed on to some of the letters to the administration asking them to deal with the situations

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Here's the audio to the interview. Pretty evident, Gary Pinkel had no clue what he was agreeing to do when his players approached him Saturday.
Hard to imagine Coach Saban falling for that.

I don't know, when all is said and done, I don't mind that college students care about something besides their next beer and chasing girls. It's good to be motivated to oppose injustice, I guess. And maybe if the University President had acted after the homecoming parade (find the most reasonable of the protest crowd, give him your card and tell him (or her) "Call my office on Monday and let's set up an appointment to talk about this," he'd still have a job. Stonewalling the protesters does not seem to have worked out very well.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Good work, bub. Glad you brought up the Planned Parenthood fiasco, and the Jefferson "problem". (I knew about both, and did highlight one of them.)

Irony alert: they want to complain about no support for Planned Parenthood, but are ignorant to the beliefs of Margaret Sanger. (If you don't know what it is, I am not going to splain it to you. You lazy fascists are going to have to do your own research. Those who do know about her will have no problem understanding the irony of it all.)
fyi, mlk jr accepted the margaret sanger award from planned parenthood.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
i read that several jewish student groups as well as other jewish groups had also been trying to get action from the president and had signed on to some of the letters to the administration asking them to deal with the situations
I'm sure they did, as you alluded to this involved planned parenthood and other liberal causes.

The problem though, is that's not about racism. When you got down to the black football players boycotting, and the movement they were involved in, it wrapped itself in racism when in fact that organization and race itself was being used to promote a far broader agenda. Clearly, there were people involved by association that were mislead.

Pinkel is a good example, he's trying to show support for his players, who are showing support for 1950 (the name itself alluding to race I believe), which happens to be serving other purposes. Was Pinkel or even the football players trying to support Planned Parenthood? Hell no, they were used.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Remember the graduate student health insurance part of the story was apparently the reason Butler went on the hunger strike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Thanks for that very informative post PitMaster. Seems like the university had multiple issues. , faculty no vote, 1000 grad students demonstrating, anti-semitic graffiti. hunger strike, racial slurs.
football (and basketball) no play.

No wonder Wolfe was forced out so quickly. Perhaps the 1950 group was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Sanger Sewing Machine?

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Clay Travis reported and confirmed. The guy who was on the hunger strike and "suckered" the football players in is from a super wealthy family. His father works for Union Pacific making 6 Million a year.

Sounds like he is very familiar with inequality and being held down as a minor.

Smh

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Clay Travis reported and confirmed. The guy who was on the hunger strike and "suckered" the football players in is from a super wealthy family. His father works for Union Pacific making 6 Million a year.

Sounds like he is very familiar with inequality and being held down as a minor.

Smh
Don't revolutionaries usually come from the privileged class?

Radicals, Revolutionaries, and Terrorists - Google Books Result

https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0745698174
Colin J. Beck - 2015 - ‎Political Science
First, there is the issue of social class – radicals, especially leaders, seem to come from the upper classes and sometimes even the elite of society. We might take ...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm sure seebell is probably trying to make a point, but am I the only one who thinks he just comes off as a troll?

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Pickle better win more games next year. He's not looking too good here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.