Black Mizzou players say they'll strike until president Tim Wolfe resigns

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
An above poster needs proof the racial slurs & threats happened. Where's the proof of vet slander? If it occured, its just as vile and despicable.
Then why not quote Selma if you are referring to that. My point is that these things are isolated and not organized hate like people think.

For the last part ...are you serious??? If you are then i guess that means you only see discrimination one way .

Last edited:

HSV256

1st Team
Sep 7, 2006
Huntsville, AlaBAMA
So everyone Who doesn't agree with you on this issue 100% is either racist or ignorant of history. Ok...,
No...but if your first reaction to bigotry against blacks is to brush it off or pretend its a conspiracy, you need to check yourself or wear the label with pride so others will know who you are.

Bill Parcells had a quote..."you are what your record says you are." That can apply to more than just football.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
How can you be so sure? By most recent accounts, there was more than one incident, which were brushed off by the administration. Once is isolated. More than once is a trend.
Smh. I'm open to discuss controversial issues with issues I not agree with as long as they are civil and have good points, but you are either trolling or have a narrow hypersensitive viewpoint that can't be debated with in a civil manner. I 100% believe yelling racial ethnic slurs is wrong and is a flawed personality trait in a person to possess it. But I refuse to believe this is on the level that ole miss and bama were in the 60s and 70s like you appear to do

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
No...but if your first reaction to bigotry against blacks is to brush it off or pretend its a conspiracy, you need to check yourself or wear the label with pride so others will know who you are.

Bill Parcells had a quote..."you are what your record says you are." That can apply to more than just football.
You know how many of us well enough to know our record? Oh, you watched 1 play in the game and now you know everyone? Yeah, right.

How can you be so sure? By most recent accounts, there was more than one incident, which were brushed off by the administration. Once is isolated. More than once is a trend.
More than one is a group of isolated incidents, unless they are organized by someone. You will never stop hatred. You will never stop bigotry. You will never completely stamp out prejudice. It simply cannot be done. So a certain level is to be expected. And if it does not rise to a level which enjoys no protection against the first amendment then it even MUST be protected. Yes, I said it. Hate speech is protected speech. Hurtful speech is protected speech. The KKK has a right to stand on the Mizzou campus next to these protesters and call them the most vile names imaginable. Do I want that? No. Do I encourage or condone that? No. Would I fight for their right to do so while condemning them as the hateful vile pieces of animal dung they are? Yes. Do I support justice and equality under the law? Yes. But it reigns over the just and the unjust, the haters and the hated, the powerful and the weak. If the law is broken then those breaking it should be punished. If someone is doing the things claimed, they should be ridiculed and publicly shamed.

You are conflating criticism of the protesters' actions and intents and motivations with broader issues of justice and equality under law. These are not the same. To the person we would all, I believe, be angered and outraged if we witnessed the alleged incidents. That does not mean we check our brains at the door or that we don't criticize where we feel it is warranted.

HSV256

1st Team
Sep 7, 2006
Huntsville, AlaBAMA
Sure, they might have. And that doesn't make a single thing they did right or justified, any more than someone who has a legitimate grief against another is justified in taking the law into their own hands, particularly when it means infringing on the rights of another. But you seem to think that if somebody yelled something racist out of a truck that justifies everything and anything they might have done, and anyone who criticizes them is just as bad as any racist. And I find that not only to be disgusting, but illustrative of everything that is wrong with society today.
I don't agree with everything the students have done and demanded but we need to understand than these are emotional young people. They aren't going to do everything the way logical adults will. But there's an overarching spirit all over the place that these kids' concerns are not valid and they should just shut up and deal with it. Or that this is some grand conspiratorial plot. And the ones who aren't saying this or claim they don't feel that way refuse to admonish the ones who do.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I don't agree with everything the students have done and demanded but we need to understand than these are emotional young people. They aren't going to do everything the way logical adults will. But there's an overarching spirit all over the place that these kids' concerns are not valid and they should just shut up and deal with it. Or that this is some grand conspiratorial plot. And the ones who aren't saying this or claim they don't feel that way refuse to admonish the ones who do.
Some of their concerns seem valid. Some of them they should deal with in whatever way they wish.

As for the "conspiracy", well, duh, there is a concerted and organized effort within and without these movements to use them to reach certain ends no matter the means. That much has been evidenced. The reporters were being forced off public property so the organizers could strategize and the strategy to remove the reporters was organized before it occurred as evidenced by the "The media must go" signs pre-printed and used when violating the reporters' rights. That these very obvious facts are up for debate is silly.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I guess my remarks above about the chapter in the book "The System" are long lost. This is a two-sided thing. There have been incidents involving black athletes against whites which have also been swept under the rug. IOW, I don't think it's one-way racism at all. This whole matter has a backstory of incidents which have been largely ignored. What I'm saying is that the administration seems to have been equally insensitive to racial complaints - period. No one has died as a result of the current allegations of shouted racial insults or purported poopy racial graffiti which seems to have escaped thousands of iPhones. Yet, there is a dead white scholarshipped diver, dead by her own hand, as the result of a sexual assault she reported which was, once again, swept under the rug. There were no protests. No "news-catch" in that. I've come to the conclusion that it's been just a poorly administered university - end of story...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
https://reason.com/blog/2015/11/09/yale-missouri-students-speech-college

Perhaps the most astonishing thing about these students’ censorious actions is how profoundly conservative they are. By communicating an expectation that their master or president protect them from unsightly Halloween costumes, or promise them no more hurtful words will be said at their expense, students are essentially calling for a return to campus life under in loco parentis. They reject not merely a free and open campus dialogue, but adulthood itself.
Yup.

But, in his ten weeks as a leader of the college, Master Christakis has not fostered this sense of community. He seems to lack the ability, quite frankly, to put aside his opinions long enough to listen to the very real hurt that the community feels. He doesn’t get it. And I don’t want to debate. I want to talk about my pain.
She just wants to be a whiny baby and have her pain validated. Wow.

The op-ed is easy to criticize—although it’s not okay to criticize it, according to The Herald’s editors, who eventually took it down “at the author’s request,” because it was reaching an audience outside its intended readership (Yale students). The irony of the student newspaper taking this step should be obvious to all: Paz asserted that she didn’t want to debate her pain, wrote an op-ed about it, and then withdrew it once people started to do exactly what an op-ed calls for: engage and debate it.
Students at Missouri are similarly unwilling to handle criticism, feedback, or really anything other than validation.
That's what I just said.

These students were offended by one person’s words, and were free to offer their own words in turn. That wasn’t enough for them, so they spat on different people who listened to those words and called one minority student a traitor to his race. In their muddled ideology, the Yale activists had to destroy the safe space to save it.
t’s clear that many of today’s students—at Yale, Missouri, and other campuses—don’t value free expression the way their radical predecessors did. But the Yale and Missouri incidents reveal something even more startling: they don’t value their own independence, either. Their goal is to re-enshrine in loco parentis. They want their administrators-in-chief to hold them while they cry, pat them on the back, and softly whisper into their ears, “you’re right, I’m so sorry.”
Will these same students, complain, I wonder, if their administrators start sending troublemakers to bed without supper, or preventing them from hanging out with their friends until they finish their homework? Keep in mind that prior to the ‘60s, administrators placed broad restrictions on students’ rights to socialize, organize, and speak. That’s what parents do, it’s what used to take place on college campuses, and it’s what awaits these students who are suddenly so desperate to be treated like children again.
Be careful what you ask for, folks. Think long and hard about it.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
We lament school threats and shootings until it threatens black people.

But then again, I shouldn't be surprised. American history will show there has never been a time when blacks demanded equal treatment without backlash.

Its time for some of us to openly admit that we'd rather them suffer in silence.
The problem is it is now going beyond wanting equal treatment - it is about wanting preferential treatment

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
To add on to my previous post, where we ended with the militants obstructing President Wolfe at the homecoming parade...

We now see illegals suing MU over not receiving in-state tution...

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/10/13/immigrants-sue-mu-over-state-tuition/

Next, the proposal for a mandatory "Diversity Training Class" moves forward...

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/10/20/mu-publishes-detailed-proposal-diversity-course/

Diversity Enhancement?

Next, the Black Militant "Student 1950" group releases their "DEMANDS" on October 20th. MU is given all of 8 days to concede, errr, "respond"

Concerned Student 1.9.5.0
presents
List of Demands
to
The University of Missouri

To: The University of Missouri

October 20, 2015

During the University of Missouri’s 104th homecoming parade, Saturday, October 10, 2015,

eleven Black student leaders on campus interjected themselves into the parade, presenting UM

system president, Tim Wolfe, and the Columbia community with a demonstration addressing

Mizzou’s history of racial violence and exclusivity. The demonstration covered the raw, painful,

and often silenced history of racism and discrimination on the University of Missouri’s campus.

This history of racism at Mizzou dates back to 1935 when Lloyd Gaines petitioned the university

to be its first Black law student and was denied admission. The actual year that the first Black

student, Gus T. Ridgel, was accepted in the University of Missouri wasn’t until 1950, hence

where the concept of “Concerned Student 1950” comes from.Concerned Student 1950, thus, represents every Black student admitted to the University of

Missouri since then and their sentiments regarding race.related affairs affecting their lives at a

predominantly white institution. Not only do our white peers sit in silence in the face of our

oppression but also our administrators who perpetuate that oppression through their inaction.

The Black experience on Mizzou’s campus is cornered in offices and rarely attended to until it

reaches media. Then, and only then, do campus administrators seek reactionary initiatives to

attest to the realities of oppressed students, faculty, and staff. These temporary adjustments to

the university’s behaviors are not enough to assure that future generations of marginalized

students will have a safe and inclusive learning experience during their time at Mizzou.

It is important to note that, as students, it is not our job to ensure that the policies and practices

of the University of Missouri work to maintain a safe, secure and unbiased campus climate for

all of its students. We do understand, however, that change does not happen without a catalyst.

Concerned Student 1950 has invested time, money, intellectual capital, and excessive energy to

bring to the forefront these issues and to get administration on board so that we, as students,

may turn our primary focus back to what we are on campus to do: obtain our degrees.

The following document presents the demands of Concerned Student 1950. This document

reflects the adjustments that we feel should be made to the University. We expect a response to

these demands by 5:00pm on October 28, 2015. If we do not receive a response to these demands by the date above, we will take appropriate nnonviolent actions. If there are any questions, comments or concerns, you may forward them toConcernedStudent1950@gmail.com.

The struggle continues,
Concerned Student 1950

List of Demands

I. We demand that the University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten

apology to the Concerned Student 1.9.5.0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the

Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe

must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and

provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1.9.5.0 demands. We want Tim

Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators,

consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when

Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators.

II. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal

a new amendment to UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system

president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of

diverse backgrounds

List of Demands

I. We demand that the University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten

apology to the Concerned Student 1.9.5.0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the

Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe

must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and

provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1.9.5.0 demands. We want Tim

Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators,

consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when

Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators.

II. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal

a new amendment to UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system

president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of

diverse backgrounds.

III. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians' demands

that were presented in 1969 for the betterment of the black community.

IV. We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial

awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory

for all students, faculty, staff, and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained,

and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff, and faculty of color.

V. We demand that by the academic year 2017.2018, the University of Missouri increases the

percentage of black faculty and staff campus.wide to 10%

All the demands can be seen here - I see no way to describe this group save for unreasonable and privileged extremists

http://www.columbiatribune.com/list...pdf_345ad844-9f05-5479-9b64-e4b362b4e155.html
ht

Continuing...

Next, the Diversity Class Proposal moves forward...

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/10/20/mu-publishes-detailed-proposal-diversity-course/

detailed proposal calling for all students to be required to take a general-education level diversity class. The class chosen is a three-credit-hour course titled Educational, School and Counseling Psychology 2000: Experiencing Cultural Diversity in the United States. The university currently offers two sections of this class each semester.

Speck said many of the issues she sees on campus regarding lack of diversity have to do with ignorance. She hopes a required course would combat the lack of knowledge and help breed a more accepting community.
“Starting with (the events in) Ferguson, it has become more and more clear that we have a problem on campus of how certain minorities are treated,” Speck said. “And it’s not just race, although I would say that race is the most apparent, but it’s not the only one. We have some issues that we need to address, and a lot of it is born of ignorance.”

In addition to a required course for students, the proposal also outlines diversity training for faculty and graduate students in order to allow them to integrate issues of diversity into their own courses.
So they are going to correct racism in a 3 hour class? Methinks this would be pretty much ALL about trying to denigrate and guilt-trip Whites, while praising other races.

Meanwhile, the MU Republican organization rallyies to support Thomas Jefferson and his statue...

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/10/28/discussion-surrounding-jefferson-statue-plus-peopl/

The statue of Thomas Jefferson sits on a bench just outside the Residence on the Quad, gazing at out at the quad he inspired. As one of the writers of the Declaration of Independence, he fittingly has a quill in his right hand, in mid-scribble on a piece of paper.

Now, several groups on campus are using Jefferson’s tools, pen and paper, against him: to determine whether his statue should stay on campus.

On Oct. 20, the MU College Republicans organized a #StandWithJefferson movement and started a petition to keep the statue in the Quad, which 143 people signed during the two-hour event. Two weeks earlier on Oct. 7, members of the University of Missouri Student Coaltion for Critical Action organized the #PostYourStateOfMind movement. They posted sticky notes labeling Jefferson as a “slave owner,” “misogynist” and “rapist.”
Graduate student Maxwell Little started a petition to remove the statue, which 106 people have signed since early August. He said he started the petition because he believes the statue symbolizes a separation of class and race.

MU is the first state university built on land bought in the Lousiana Purchase. Jefferson’s epitaph has rested at MU since the late 1800s. In 2013, the Smithsonian restored the grave marker, which was rededicated Oct. 9.
The College Republicans draped an American flag on the statue’s shoulders and posted sticky notes that read: “Thank You,” “Freedom Fighter” and “President.” They worked in conjunction with Amy Lutz of the Young America’s Foundation to generate the idea for the event.

After reading some of the sticky notes posted by the #PostYourStateOfMind event, MU College Republican President Skyler Roundtree made several counterclaims about Jefferson.
According to the website of Thomas Jefferson’s plantation in Virginia, Jefferson fiercely opposed slavery, calling it an “abominable crime.” Jefferson owned slaves — he inherited them from his father — and did not participate in the formal slave trade. However, he did sell some of the slaves who ran away from his plantation.

He signed a law in 1807 prohibiting “the importation of slaves into any port or place within the jurisdiction of the United States,” and endorsed a gradual emancipation process in his private journals.
Jefferson also drafted the first Virginia Constitution and made an effort to end slavery in his draft in 1776: “No person hereafter coming into this county shall be held within the same in slavery under any pretext whatever.”

On October 21st, the MU BOT (Curators) held a closed meeting, and rumors spread that Chancellor Loftin was about to meet the axe...
http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/10/21/bow-untied-rumors-rampant-around-curators-special-/ '

Later that day, MU went back on their previously announced cancelling of agreements with Planned Parenthood...

http://www.themaneater.com/blogs/city-state-and-nation/2015/10/21/two-months-after-canceling-agreement-mu-enters-new/

canceling agreements between the School of Medicine and the Sinclair School of Nursing almost two months ago, according to an Oct. 21 news release.

The agreements originally ended after Sen. Kurt Schaefer, R-Columbia, held several hearings on the legality of MU’s relationship with the local clinic. Although Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin originally testified against cutting ties, they were ultimately severed regardless.

PPKM President and CEO Laura McQuade said in the statement that while this is a positive step, more must be done.

“These contracts open back up critical access to educational and training opportunities for MU nursing students who wish to learn from our dedicated professionals how to provide life-saving preventive health care,” McQuade said in the statement. “However, these contracts are no substitute for the decades-long partnership between Planned Parenthood and MU recently ended because of the university’s capitulation to political bullying.”
Now, on to October 24th, and we finally encounter the famed Fecal Swastika...
http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/10/29/swastika-drawn-residence-hall-feces/

Residential Life staff found feces smeared in the shape of a swastika on the floor and wall of a bathroom in Gateway Hall at 2 a.m. Oct. 24, according to a Residence Halls Association statement.

Residential Life then contacted the MU Police Department. MUPD completed a report of the incident, and Residential Life staff also filled out a Bias Incident Report, Director of Residential Life Frankie Minor said. MUPD could not be reached for comment.

“The university is aware of it, and the MUPD (is) actively investigating the incident,” MU spokesman Christian Basi said in an email. “Anyone who might have information is encouraged to contact the MUPD.”

Now it is strange, and well worth note that for such a heinous and strange act, NO VISUAL PROOF has ever been produced. In fact, the Residence Hall Association President finds out about this second-hand...

RHA President Billy Donley tweeted about the incident yesterday afternoon.

He later released a statement via Twitter detailing the incident.

“It is with regret that I am writing this letter to address an act of hate in one of the residence halls on campus,” Donley said in the statement. “I am not only upset that this happened but I am also upset that I found out via a flyer on the walls of Gateway addressed from the Department of Residential Life.”

Donley said he was dissatisfied with the way in which residents were notified. He said student leaders in residence halls should be notified immediately, and he should not have had to discover the incident on his own.
October 26 - Protesters from 1-9-5-0 meet with President Wolfe...
http://www.columbiamissourian.com/n...cle_d142295e-7ce2-11e5-96a2-7b5a0b8b51c3.html

COLUMBIA — Members of Concerned Student 1950 met privately with UM System President Tim Wolfe on Monday, but the student group said the president did not agree to any of the demands the group set forth last week, including a handwritten apology and his removal from office.

During MU's Homecoming Parade on Oct. 10, the group of student activists stopped Wolfe’s car at the intersection of University Avenue and Ninth Street to condemn MU's history of racism.

The protesters were visibly distressed by the crowd's reaction. A video of the incident shows bystanders heckling them and Wolfe's car bumping a member of the group. The student activists said Wolfe did not respond to their concerns while he was in the car.

During Monday’s meeting, which took place 16 days after the parade, Wolfe “did not mention any plan of action to address the demands or help us work together to create a more safe and inclusive campus,” according to a statement by Concerned Student 1950.

At the meeting, “Wolfe verbally acknowledged that he cared for Black students at the University of Missouri, however he also reported he was ‘not completely’ aware of systemic racism, sexism, and patriarchy on campus,” the statement said. “Not understanding these systems of oppression therefore renders him incapable of effectively performing his core duties.”
Now to November 2nd - and the Hunger Strike begins. Grad Student Jonathon Butler announces he will not eat till President Wolfe is removed, even to the point of his death

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/11/2/graduate-student-jonathan-butler-declares-hunger-s/

Graduate student Jonathan Butler has led protests in Speakers Circle and through the Student Center. He has used social media to draw attention to campus racism. When those efforts failed to elicit a reaction for university administrators, he stopped the car carrying UM System President Tim Wolfe during the Homecoming parade.

Now, he’s going on an indefinite hunger strike, according to a letter to the university posted Monday on Facebook.

Butler is holding his strike as a response to the lack of action from Wolfe to several instances of racism and discrimination in the past months. He will end the strike when Wolfe is no longer in office, or when his internal organs fail, he said. But in the letter, Butler stressed that he has nothing against Wolfe personally.

“Let it be known I have no ill will or thoughts of harm toward Mr. Wolfe,” Butler wrote. “But I do have an urgency to make the campus I call home a more safe, welcoming and inclusive environment for all identities and backgrounds.”

In his letter, Butler prefaced his decision to announce his hunger strike by noting several instances of racism and discrimination on campus. He cited MSA President Payton Head being called a racial slur on campus, the removal of Planned Parenthood services, the #ConcernedStudent1950 protest and the recent instance of a person drawing a swastika with their own feces in a bathroom in Gateway Hall.
Well, that will conclude this installment. I hope that some of you are finding this interesting and/or helpful in assessing this situation. I have been rather intrigued by all the things going on, and how it played out.

I would love to do a bit more now, but that will wait a bit. I am hungry, time for an early lunch...:)

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Maybe I missed it, but have the victims of this racist onslaught demonstrated any actual damage? Have racists deprived people of their jobs or the educational opportunities? Anyone physically injured? I saw a complaint that involved AA students finding cotton balls scattered about the floor. Not sure how much damage cotton balls can do ....

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Since nobody was charged with the swastika drawing, how do they know he used his own feces?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.