Black Mizzou players say they'll strike until president Tim Wolfe resigns

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Wow.

Racial tension has been brewing at Missouri's campus in Columbia since September, when Payton Head, the Missouri Students Association president and an African-American, said he was racially abused while walking.
What does this even mean? Not generally, but specifically.

Students protested when it took nearly a week for the university chancellor to address the incident.
So he's supposed to address every petty incident? This seems more about getting recognized than any real grievance, however genuine it is.

Then in October, a student yelled the N-word at members of the Legion of Black Collegians in a campus plaza while they were rehearsing for a play.
I hate some idiot allegedly did that, but so what? Learn to deal with speech you don't like by countering it with speech you do like.You can't silence idiots. In fact, they are often the loudest.

And later that month, someone smeared a swastika with their own feces on a bathroom wall in a new residence hall.
Color me suspicious.

If you are willing to take the consequences then go ahead, young peple. You may learn a costly yet valuable lesson. Demanding resignation hardly seems a constructive way to move forward. I admit I don't know specifics, but this seems a little much.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
The justness of their cause set aside for a moment, 4 and 5: not the best year for a bunch of scholarship student athletes to hold out for demands.

Not enough information for me to pass judgement on the justness of their cause. Maybe I've become cynical by default about accusations of racial injustice. Not that it doesn't occur, of course. It does. And when it does, it's absolutely reprehensible. But that card has been worn smack out. And those who exploit it have poisoned the well to some extent for those who have truly been wronged.

I think these guys do believe that Mr. Wolfe is not responding appropriately to what they seem to think is a systemic problem on campus. Maybe there truly is a systemic problem on campus. Maybe there's not. Maybe Mr. Wolfe is not responding appropriately to it. Maybe he is. There's just not enough information available from that article alone for me to pass judgement on that. My cynicism is such that accusations alone aren't anywhere near sufficient.

I'll say this though. As an Alabama native who lived in Missouri for awhile, I encountered just as much, probably more, racism in Missouri than I did in Alabama. We grow up together in the south, at least in my and later generations. My experience of Missouri is that it is a much more segregated society, a lot more "us and them", and a lot more animosity between us and them.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Not questioning their resolve, but they waited until after a Thursday game to go on strike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Here is what I wonder. These student-athletes enter into a contractual relationship to play football (or whatever sport) in exchange for free tuition and expenses. Since they are choosing to not fulfill their obligations in athletic competition, then the University should withhold tuition and expenses payments on a pro-rated basis until these players resumes their duties. They may remain as students if they wish, since this declaration does not seem to include scholastic endeavors, but tuition for the remainder of this semester and all subsequent semesters will be on them, until they return to meeting their contractual obligations.

No way anybody in academia has the stones to enact this, but I would love to see the President of Mizzou do something like this.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Legion of Black Collegians? This is seriously a thing. That right there seems racist to me, why do blacks need there own government body, just get elected to the regular student government. What would happen if a group of students tried to start the Legion of White Collegians, they'd be called racist. I'm sick an tired of how blacks need there own, segregated group for everything. Isn't that racism in and of itself.

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado
their "demands":

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...-5479-9b64-e4b362b4e155/562a7a90110b8.pdf.pdf

I. We demand that the University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology to the Concerned Student 1950 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1950 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators.

II. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal a new amendment to UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.

III. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians' demands that were presented in 1969 for the betterment of the black community.

IV. We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff, and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff, and faculty of color.

V. We demand that by the academic year 20172018, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff campuswide to 10%.

VI. We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10 year plan by May 1, 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

VII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding and resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals; particularly those of color, boosting mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campuswide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients.

VIII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding, resources, and personnel for the social justices centers on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting outreach and programming across campus, and increasing campuswide awareness and visibility.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Impact to the football team? Their season is over anyway. Call their bluff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidegrandpa

All-American
their "demands":

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...-5479-9b64-e4b362b4e155/562a7a90110b8.pdf.pdf

I. We demand that the University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology to the Concerned Student 1950 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1950 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators.

II. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal a new amendment to UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.

III. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians' demands that were presented in 1969 for the betterment of the black community.

IV. We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff, and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff, and faculty of color.

V. We demand that by the academic year 20172018, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff campuswide to 10%.

VI. We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10 year plan by May 1, 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

VII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding and resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals; particularly those of color, boosting mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campuswide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients.

VIII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding, resources, and personnel for the social justices centers on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting outreach and programming across campus, and increasing campuswide awareness and visibility.
An unmentioned demand, but if the administration capitulates you can bet this bunch will want to have a say in the next president.

They are never satisfied.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
Never fear, POTUS will address the nation shortly over this matter........ :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.