Link: CFB's "Ultimate Villain" Reigns Supreme"...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I'm biast but I always hoped that folks would look at us like the Spurs. Well respected for playing as a team and doing it the right way. You have to respect what they do and how they do it.
I believe many used to look at us this way. We had coaches who took young college men and worked them hard to create a team that would never quit. This was also in a time when there was more mutual respect among players and fans. I am the naive optimist who likes to believe in what college football should be about- a pure, clean game where alums (regular or sidewalk) and students support the student/athletes who represent their university while pursuing a degree. I think Coach Saban also has a part of him that wishes things were still clean and pure in college athletics. At least, I hope he believes in doing the things the right way. He certainly seems to relish the idea of teaching these young men to be responsible citizens in our communities and not just performers on a field. Winning the right way is important to me, so I do not like to see us compared to the Yankees, the Borg, or the emperor. I want us to be a symbol of doing things the right way and out working others in order to be successful. I do not want us to be thought of as a win at all costs and by any means necessary university. Unfortunately, when we pay our coaches what we pay them and spend what we spend on facilities, many do see us as the Yankees because we up the stakes in the arms race. However, if we are doing things the right way and out working people to be successful, then their hate is from envy, and that is their problem. Roll Tide! Sorry, I guess I went on a bit of a rant there.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I remember the U's dynasty and Alabama has none of their baggage: taunting opposing players pre-game, wearing combat fatigues, setting a Cotton Bowl record for most penalties, and all the infamous off the field stuff.
Bama just out-recruits you, then out-plays you on the field.
I don't see much to hate there unless you just don't like excellence.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I remember the U's dynasty and Alabama has none of their baggage: taunting opposing players pre-game, wearing combat fatigues, setting a Cotton Bowl record for most penalties, and all the infamous off the field stuff.
Bama just out-recruits you, then out-plays you on the field.
I don't see much to hate there unless you just don't like excellence.
You made your point much more quickly than I did. Well done.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.