No power, all mud on the quad

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
We rent a tent and had bought the Dish Tailgater, brought awesome lighting, etc. Instead of enjoying them before and afterward we just waded in mud in the dark. Very frustrating as prices rise and priveleges are reduced.
Anyone know the cause, and perhaps future preventive steps?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Man you would figure that this shouldn't have even been a question as to why...:biggrin:

If it's even too humid and/or wet we don't even work. Can't do it when barehanding. Even working the overhead voltages can suck in gloves when it's wet. Especially 19,900 volts.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Thanks for the clarification all. I suppose I should rephrase the question. Can an Electrical Engineer explain whether the power system on the Quad can be modified in future years such that standing puddles do not present a hazard requiring shutoff of service? Power systems can work with puddles.
Either heavy rain was a design consideration that was disregarded, or it was not considered. If the latter, shame on Gene H. If the former then so be it, we need to buy a Honda generator and tailgate off reserved space.
Either way we will always rock the tailgate and support the team with every fiber of our being. RTR!!

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Thanks for the clarification all. I suppose I should rephrase the question. Can an Electrical Engineer explain whether the power system on the Quad can be modified in future years such that standing puddles do not present a hazard requiring shutoff of service? Power systems can work with puddles.
Either heavy rain was a design consideration that was disregarded, or it was not considered. If the latter, shame on Gene H. If the former then so be it, we need to buy a Honda generator and tailgate off reserved space.
Either way we will always rock the tailgate and support the team with every fiber of our being. RTR!!
Why would anyone tailgate and not bring either their own generator(or their own grandpa?):wink:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters.

Mandatory in wet locations. More than one way to do it. Some ways cost more that others.

Also requires wet location covers.

On a slightly different subject...............

My neighbor installs outdoor Christmas lights, in his "off season". He provided me lots of work, measuring leakage currents, on troublesome installations.

He solved the problem by using new lights, every season.

Yes, you can run electricity, outdoors, in the rain. It can be a pain to keep it running.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Poorly planned campus sprawl has contributed to poor drainage across the university but the big problem is that they've thinned out the trees so they could monetize more tailgating.

uofaJO1987

1st Team
Oct 25, 2011
Highland Home, AL
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters.

Mandatory in wet locations. More than one way to do it. Some ways cost more that others.

Also requires wet location covers.

On a slightly different subject...............

My neighbor installs outdoor Christmas lights, in his "off season". He provided me lots of work, measuring leakage currents, on troublesome installations.

He solved the problem by using new lights, every season.

Yes, you can run electricity, outdoors, in the rain. It can be a pain to keep it running.
Not to step on your toes, but GFIs wouldn't help they are designed to trip when they get wet. So you'd still have no power.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
We all don't bring generators because a) the price of tents includes power and b) 150 generators on the quad would really stink.

Thanks for the explanation, knowledgeable electricity expert. I hope they address the issue, including water retention, or demand for paid tent space (which I admit sounds silly from the get go) will go down. I don't care, I will always have awesome tailgates.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Why would anyone tailgate and not bring either their own generator(or their own grandpa?):wink:
Bring your own Generator. Your own power grid. Easy to set up too. Buy one and practice camping before you go tailgating.
No to mention you can use it at home in a pinch when the power goes out for any length of time.

GENERATORS AND PROPANE... GOOD TO GO...

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
We rent a tent and had bought the Dish Tailgater, brought awesome lighting, etc. Instead of enjoying them before and afterward we just waded in mud in the dark. Very frustrating as prices rise and priveleges are reduced.
Anyone know the cause, and perhaps future preventive steps?
Act of God......Mother nature is undefeated - does what she wants.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The Quad has never drained well, dating back into the mid 50-early 60s, when I was there. It's very flat and I'm not sure what can be done about that. It's about in the same category as the aquifer running underneath the football stadium...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.