Tuscaloosa police use taser on student

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Seems excessive to send 10 or so officers to a noise complaint. Hard to know what the entire situation was from those videos but it doesn't paint the police in a good light..

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
She watched a youtube video and now she's a frickin' legal scholar. If all the loudmouths would have shut the hell up perhaps a more constructive conversation could have taken place.
A lot of people seem to think "am I being detained?" is some magic get-out-of-dealing-with-cops legal phrase that works like garlic on vampires. Compounded with people looking for civil suit financial windfalls against municipalities for civil rights violations by LEOs as a get rich quick scheme. (Not saying that's what's going on here, but you know it happens.)

Hate to say it, but I'm glad they were white, so at least there won't be a national racial incident stemming from this.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Listening to everything I think there may have been a little "baiting" of LEO going on here. It really doesn't look good for the guys in blue though.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I have no problem with anything in that video. Bunch of drunk college idiots not respecting anybody got what they deserved IMO. I use to live in an apartment where a neighbor had loud parties every weekend until 2 or 3 in the morning, it was not fun especially with a 1 year old in our apartment. I called the cops once but it didn't help and complaints to management never did anything. I wish cops would have shown up and drag them out of their apartment, maybe they would have then learned to keep the noise down. All the kids had to do was one, respect your neighbors and not be so loud so late into the night, and two, respect the cop. They did neither and got what they deserved.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
CW said:
the incident occurred Nov. 8 at 3:19 a.m. and was a result of a loud music call.
I doubt the UAPD sends seven cops to a noise complaint.
If they wait 30 minutes after the first call and then have to go back to the same apartment for a second noise complaint, they might send seven cops, suspecting that these students are not going to be cooperative.

I believe that this gets resolved without any arrests or violence if, when the cops say, "Turn down the music, it's after midnight," the students say, "Yes, sir," and comply with the cops reasonable demand.

Not saying this wasn't excessive force on the part of the cops, but, personally, getting thrown to the ground and spending the night in jail is not usually on my list of things to do.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
I doubt the UAPD sends seven cops to a noise complaint.
If they wait 30 minutes after the first call and then have to go back to the same apartment for a second noise complaint, they might send seven cops, suspecting that these students are not going to be cooperative.

I believe that this gets resolved without any arrests or violence if, when the cops say, "Turn down the music, it's after midnight," the students say, "Yes, sir," and comply with the cops reasonable demand.

Not saying this wasn't excessive force on the part of the cops, but, personally, getting thrown to the ground and spending the night in jail is not usually on my list of things to do.
We'll you're no fun!:(

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Of course, these elitist, drunk college students didn't video ANYTHING the lead to the police coming to the apartment and the harassment that took place before they started rolling their iPhone cameras. Caroline is a first year law student (sarcasm) who thinks she knows everything--clearly, her comments about "ask him if they are arrested or being detained" show her to be an ignorant little know it all. This is a bunch of disrespectful ...... and a couple of stupid girls whose parents have obviously taught them to act like jerks when they are in trouble. People like this disgust me. I just wish Caroline had been taken to jail, too. I feel sorry for the Tuscaloosa PD for having to put up with the large amounts of disrespectful college students. Obviously, the police were called for some reason--noise complaint and they went back twice before this incident occurred. No pity for any of these students. Sorry. Not Sorry.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
First - just looking at the one video - it's quite obvious that there is much more that occurred previous to the video beginning to record.
Second, you've got one idiot physically threatening to slam the door into the officer's arm and/or face.
Third, it looks to me as if the officer was basically pulled into the apartment by the person he was attempting to arrest, which would obviously be resisting arrest.

If you are uncooperative with the officer(s), give them a reason to arrest you, and then resist arrest you should expect to be tased. :-/

I love the desperate cries of the one girl in the background: "Why are you handcuffing me? Why are you handcuffing me?"
Umm, because you're under arrest?

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
Lets riot and burn the town down! His civil rights were violated! !!!

Oh wait, he's white. This doesn't fit the narrative.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
another view from the outside

Kid throws his hands up after he's on the ground and after he's been tased and then the cops still beat him with a stick.

Pretty obvious no one handled this situation correctly. As is the case 99.9% of the time, the truth is always somewhere in the middle.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
another view from the outside

That is pretty bad. I just don't believe the UAPD would send that many officers to an initial "turn down the music, it's late" call.

Sometimes, 'Yes, officer," is the best answer.

I believe having this on video is much more convincing (in terms of supporting students' allegations that the police response was excessive) than the post-facto verbal testimony of students.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Statement from UA on the video:

Statement on TPD video: We are aware of the incident, and we remain very concerned about the welfare of all students who were there (1 of 5).
…, esp. those who were arrested. We have reached out to provide support to them, and will continue to provide services they need. (2 of 5)
We can confirm that three UAPD officers responded to a TPD officer’s call for emergency assistance that morning... (3 of 5)
... and we are reviewing their actions to verify they acted appropriately. (4 of 5)
We encourage other students who have been impacted by this matter to contact the university’s Counseling Center at 205-348-3863. (5 of 5)

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
After he threw his hands up that one cop hit him repeatedly with a 6 cell Mag-Light. I promise you that hurt, probably more so than the taser!! You can hear the light hitting his back.

I agree we don't know what happened before the video, but the force used might have been a bit much.

I've been subject to police brutality when the only thing I done was open the door to my apartment before. All because they were looking for a tweaker that lived there before us. We were living there from February and this was in December. That shows you how far behind they were and they took it out on me and left with nothing but a "sorry" after hand cuffing me in my boxers and parading me outside like I was a crook.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Reddit ties 3 videos together. Strong language warning be advised if that kind of stuff bothers you

and the girls perspective, same warning

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Always be polite & cooperative with Cops, this situation would've never escalated to what it did, had they cooperated with the Cop & wouldn't got his drunk backside thrown in jail..I'm usually against Cops abusing their power & have voiced my opinion about it cause lots of Cops are out of control..We have a right to privacy on private property, but, alcohol always gives folks "Liquid Courage" that make them abuse their rights & that's whee the Law comes out..

Party on & have a great time, but, don't do anything that warrants the Cops to come out..The gal needs jail time for that annoying voice as well..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.