Tuscaloosa police use taser on student

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Just playing devil's advocate here, but it's often difficult to tell when someone is resisting - I've seen quite a few videos where it looks like an officers is using way too much force only to later see his body cam that clearly showed the subject fighting to avoid being cuffed.
You had one cop leg locking him on top while another cops is beating the hell out of him. Tough to show you're capitulating at that point with two cops working you over. Not to mention before the beatings started the kid was laying on his back with arms up.

Regardless, of what transpire before the nearly 3 minute long video started the rolling, the threat posed by that kid not justify the abuse given. You can tell it was vindictive by the initial cop coming back and jerking that girl who ....ed him off onto the concrete.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You had one cop leg locking him on top while another cops is beating the hell out of him. Tough to show you're capitulating at that point with two cops working you over. Not to mention before the beatings started the kid was laying on his back with arms up.

Regardless, of what transpire before the nearly 3 minute long video started the rolling, the threat posed by that kid not justify the abuse given. You can tell it was vindictive by the initial cop coming back and jerking that girl who ....ed him off onto the concrete.
on your back with your hands up doesn't mean you aren't resisting at that point because Im quiet sure that certainly means you are being forcibly arrested so anything but putting your hands behind your back is technically resisting. plus where they were hitting him were compliance areas and not vital areas so if they can justify he was actively resisting their order, which they probably will atleast get that part right, then that wont be the major issue. The major issue is figuring out what happened before the cameras were on because if the cops can prove they had some sort of reason to enter and detain the individuals then it changes the whole dynamic of the incident, and there are some possible reasons but we wont know until the actual details come out.

Also its worth noting that the girl yelling "Are they being arrested or detained?" is an idiot because either way they are in police custody.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
on your back with your hands up doesn't mean you aren't resisting at that point because Im quiet sure that certainly means you are being forcibly arrested so anything but putting your hands behind your back is technically resisting. plus where they were hitting him were compliance areas and not vital areas so if they can justify he was actively resisting their order, which they probably will atleast get that part right, then that wont be the major issue. The major issue is figuring out what happened before the cameras were on because if the cops can prove they had some sort of reason to enter and detain the individuals then it changes the whole dynamic of the incident, and there are some possible reasons but we wont know until the actual details come out.

Also its worth noting that the girl yelling "Are they being arrested or detained?" is an idiot because either way they are in police custody.
LOL! Are you a cop?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

that sounds a lot like the "why do you keep hitting yourself" game that older cousins used to love to play

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Was the part in bold supposed to be blue?

Blue?? Blue lights?? ;) Would have been a smarter move than what they did don't ya think? I guess we shall all see when it ends but my money is on it ending badly for the policemen. I have seen hostage situations last for hours and if I were a policeman dealing with this kind of situation it would make me suspicious of what is going on inside so I think waiting on a warrant to be issued by a judge would be well worth the time spent.

Surely the apartment manager or land lord would be one of the first places I would think a policeman would go to find out who they are dealing with. They cut power, water and other utilities in hostage situations all the time, probably standard protocol. If they had treated this as a hostage situation, which they did not know it could have been, they would be being praised right now not ridiculed.

I bet you money those kids would have come out on their own once the electricity, water, gas, cable were cut. Then once out of their home no one would blame the police for using force if they resisted. Then again I don't know a dang thing about it so its probably another hare brained idea I seem to frequently have these days!! ;)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Blue?? Blue lights?? ;) Would have been a smarter move than what they did don't ya think? I guess we shall all see when it ends but my money is on it ending badly for the policemen. I have seen hostage situations last for hours and if I were a policeman dealing with this kind of situation it would make me suspicious of what is going on inside so I think waiting on a warrant to be issued by a judge would be well worth the time spent.

Surely the apartment manager or land lord would be one of the first places I would think a policeman would go to find out who they are dealing with. They cut power, water and other utilities in hostage situations all the time, probably standard protocol. If they had treated this as a hostage situation, which they did not know it could have been, they would be being praised right now not ridiculed.

I bet you money those kids would have come out on their own once the electricity, water, gas, cable were cut. Then once out of their home no one would blame the police for using force if they resisted. Then again I don't know a dang thing about it so its probably another hare brained idea I seem to frequently have these days!! ;)
what the popo didn't realize is that the students were holding the entire lsu offensive front in the back room and had replaced them with incompetent doppelgangers

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Just playing devil's advocate here, but it's often difficult to tell when someone is resisting - I've seen quite a few videos where it looks like an officers is using way too much force only to later see his body cam that clearly showed the subject fighting to avoid being cuffed.

Still too early for me to pass judgement on the officers - I've done that based on partial / short cell phone videos before only to be dead wrong about how they handled there situation. I admit it doesn't look good for TPD here, but I'll wait to see what comes out.
Yeah, I'm interested in body camera videos as well. Does TPD have them? I hope so. I come from the belief that a wooden spoon isn't just use for cooking, if you know what I mean. LOL. So, seeing people who are belligerent and are committing crimes get what they rightly deserve, isn't something that bothers me. Unnecessary force, when proven, is a bad thing, though.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yeah, I'm interested in body camera videos as well. Does TPD have them? I hope so. I come from the belief that a wooden spoon isn't just use for cooking, if you know what I mean. LOL. So, seeing people who are belligerent and are committing crimes get what they rightly deserve, isn't something that bothers me. Unnecessary force, when proven, is a bad thing, though.
WSFA said TPD said they had hours of body camera footage to examine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Here is the body cam footage. Over 2 hours of it. Does not paint the original officer in a good light. He seems to know little of the law. The video of the police removing the students from the apartment has been redacted. Not sure what else there really is to see. That is the part in question. Anyway, here it is.

http://tide991.com/tuscaloosa-police-release-body-cam-video-showing-ua-student-arrests/
Watch 3:35 again. The officer had not entered and was touched by the drunk. At that moment the officer had every right to enter because the idiot decided to put his hands on the officer. Now the excessive force way after and the gung-ho speech are up for debate.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Watch 3:35 again. The officer had not entered and was touched by the drunk. At that moment the officer had every right to enter because the idiot decided to put his hands on the officer. Now the excessive force way after and the gung-ho speech are up for debate.
The Tuscaloosa Police Chief disagrees with your assessment:

In an 11 a.m. press conference, Tuscaloosa police Chief Steven Anderson said, "Based on what I've seen, the individual did not have to exit the apartment." Asked if the officers had the right to go in to the apartment, the chief said, "Based on what I've seen, no."
http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/i...ody_cam_footage_releas.html#incart_river_home

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
You can see his hand hover over the camera. I don't see contact.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.