News Article: Would Dabo answer if Mama (Alabama) calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Being familiar with his tenure here during the Dubose debacle, I will do whatever I can to prevent it...
I was working on my undergrad, during that time period I don't want anyone that had anything to do with that distinction to be our head coach. Actually, I take that back IMO Arians is the only one I would want.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Dabo is doing well at Clemson, but let's be honest - if Clemson makes the playoffs they will have the weakest team in the playoffs. They will lose, and probably by a substantial margin, in the first round.

Their win over ND was much like Ole Miss' win over Alabama. Notre Dame destroyed them in that game, but 4 turnovers doomed them.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
He's doing fine in the weak ACC and Clemson, but gut feeling is that he would be in over his head coaching in the SEC especially the west. When Coach decides to leaves, Bama should not have a shortage of better qualified coaches to choose from. Dabo would not make it very high on my wish list for coach.
i haven't really been paying that much attention to clemson this season, but i just looked and their schedule is a joke

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Just my opinion, but....
1) Dabo won't leave Clemson
2) Bama won't call Dabo
3) CJM won't leave Florida
4) CKS won't be the next head coach
5) CLK won't be the next head coach
6) CNS will retire within 5 years
7) Tom Herman will be highly considered as next head coach

Cr1msoN4life

3rd Team
Nov 21, 2010
Remember hiring a coach after Saban will be like the replacing Bear Bryant. An outsider with no knowledge of the awesome machine built is under tremendous pressure and will do stupid things like tear down towers. A perfect example of going back in time is hiring Stallings over Perkins.....which resulted in 2 decades of turmoil. One would have understood and embraced the past, the other is haunted by it. The 2nd coach can be anyone, but that first hire would be at a great advantage knowing the process.
I think you meant hiring perkins over stallings,(and stallings tenure was respectable far from turmoil) but either way i get your drift!??

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Good thing he'll never get that call. He's a goofy flash in the pan, and perfect fit at Auburn-lite.
Coach Stallings thinks differently. Just sayin'. I think Dabo is a great coach and doing great things at CU. They are not "Auburn-lite". Clemson would destroy the barn in a head to head match up. Hate them all you want, but CDS is the real deal.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Coach Stallings thinks differently. Just sayin'. I think Dabo is a great coach and doing great things at CU. They are not "Auburn-lite". Clemson would destroy the barn in a head to head match up. Hate them all you want, but CDS is the real deal.
What would you expect a coach to say about his former player?

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
THIS. IMO, it has taken Dabo WAY too long to even get on the map. CJM has done it in one season. Thanks, but no thanks on Dabo.
McElwain would be a great hire, but comparing what he's done at Florida to what Dabo has done at Clemson is comparing apples to oranges. The cupboard was not bare at Florida, just hadn't had the right leadership. Mac took over a sleeping giant (at least based on the last 30 years). Dabo took over a perennial underachiever.

For the record, I am not advocating Dabo as the next coach at UA.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
If CNS retires in the next 2-3 years and CDS continues doing at Clemson what he is doing now (i.e. winning) then he will be a very serious candidate for the UA job if he chooses. There isn't a coach out there that is perfect, they all have flaws and any of us (self included) can nit-pick someone to death but at the end of the day its the end results that matters. He was thrust into the position too quickly and made his mistakes but has obviously learned from those mistakes and has become a very good coach. Early on I was critical of him but he has won me over.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm continually amazed at how folks seemingly ignore the thoughts and opinions of two of the most well connected folks to the Alabama program as we have here on this message board.

When TIDE-HSV and JessN give an opinion on something, you ought to pay attention. Dabo ain't getting that call. If he does get that call, then it will mean the University will have gone through some serious turmoil, far beyond simply having Coach Saban retire.

Consider: he's perfect for Clemson. We ain't Clemson.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
If the football bounces a little differently, Mike Dubose plays for the national championship in 1999. Having a good year doesn't make you the real deal, and it certainly doesn't mean you are ready to be the head coach at Alabama. Following Nick Saban with a good-hearted goofball like DS would be a disaster. Dabo Sweeney has shown himself to be a decent coach, particularly against soft competition in a weak league. If our criteria is that his former head coach says nice things about him, we're in trouble.
I'm not advocating CDS to be the next HC after CNS. I never said that. I just think he is a good coach and I don't understand all of the hate thrown at him. Good lord, he's a Bama alum and former player...he's not Phil Fulmer for God's sake. Bash him all you want, but he is doing a good job at an also ran school, that was a whipping boy of the ACC until he showed up.

Cr1msoN4life

3rd Team
Nov 21, 2010
I'm continually amazed at how folks seemingly ignore the thoughts and opinions of two of the most well connected folks to the Alabama program as we have here on this message board.

When TIDE-HSV and JessN give an opinion on something, you ought to pay attention. Dabo ain't getting that call. If he does get that call, then it will mean the University will have gone through some serious turmoil, far beyond simply having Coach Saban retire.

Consider: he's perfect for Clemson. We ain't Clemson.
I say opinions are like,, well LOL you can guess. First Dabo would have to had won the big one to even be in consideration . 2nd If he has won the big one, and continues his success at clemson, who am I to say he wouldnt be a fine head coach.. 3rd Why are even talking about- after saban era????????? We are blessed lets enjoy having the best coach in america!:BigA:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
No, based on what others on this board have said about his past here it will not happen. Also, I don't think Dabo is a "flash in the pan" type coach. Entering this year, he is 42-11 since 2011. This is the most wins over a four year span in Clemson history. He has been a good coach there. One of the best they've had in quite a while. I understand that he plays in the ACC but let's not take away what he has accomplished there.

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205529394

Personally, I don't want him here for several reasons. Primarily, he's too "rah-rah" for me. I want a business like mentality for our coach (ala., Coach Bryant, Coach Stallings, Coach Saban). This is proven to win championships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.