China Smog Update: Highest Level Ever Recorded

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/china-smog-almost-50-times-recommendations-042958972.html

A swathe of China was blanketed with acrid smog Monday after levels of dangerous particulates reached around 50 times World Health Organization maximums, in what environmental campaigners said were the highest figures ever recorded in the country.

Pictures showed smog so thick that buildings in Changchun, the capital of Jilin province in the northeast, were rendered invisible.

One image showed a restaurant's neon sign seemingly floating in mid-air above traffic, proclaiming in yellow: “Eastern Dumpling King”.

Levels of PM2.5, the tiny airborne particles considered most harmful to health, reached 860 micrograms per cubic metre in the city of around eight million.

The World Health Organization’s recommended maximum is a 24-hour average of 25 micrograms.

“Today’s haze is pretty severe and choking - when I walked out the door I thought someone’s house was on fire,” said one poster in Changchun on China's Twitter-like Sina Weibo.

This doesn't sound very reassuring:

Beijing has pledged that its emissions of carbon dioxide, the primary greenhouse gas pollutant released from the burning of coal, will peak by "around 2030".

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
It's more like a society in which you can bribe a public official to do whatever you want.
There is pretty much nothing you can't do in China if you grease the right palms.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I would like to know how you got this info and how confident you are in it.

When I went to China in 2008 I carried $15,000 in a money belt. (It was the most valuable article of clothing I've ever had but it was also the most uncomfortable.) By the time I got home I'd been relieved of a large part of the $15,000 and I felt like I'd greased several palms, but I had no proof. We were trying to adopt a child and were at the mercy of our guides.

Smog in China was ridiculous in Nanchang. I never saw the sun in seven days. It was not too bad in Beijing and Guangzhou. It was during the Olympics so I'm sure key cities were smog free for a reason.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
By 2030? That seems a little late for global warming progress. We'll all be under the ocean at that point.
It's all good -- think of it this way.....the extra smog will offset the global cooling.....I'm guessing, if the Chinese are as smart as I think they are, it should offset it perfectly, and we probably will see minimal temperature movement.....between now and 2030.....

After Coach Saban has won his 13th NC and retires.....right around 2030.....we'll all meet back here and see if I'm right.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I would like to know how you got this info and how confident you are in it.

When I went to China in 2008 I carried $15,000 in a money belt. (It was the most valuable article of clothing I've ever had but it was also the most uncomfortable.) By the time I got home I'd been relieved of a large part of the $15,000 and I felt like I'd greased several palms, but I had no proof. We were trying to adopt a child and were at the mercy of our guides.
I'd rather not say, but I am pretty confident.
From China scholars I know, the Red Chinese have a reputation for being liable to being purchased. Look at the explosions a few months ago. That probably violated local code, and the plant owner just made sure the inspectors never checked him out. No one is the wiser.
Until the whole dang plant blows up and kills over 100 people, then the "corruption investigation" gets launched.
Heck, the same town just had another explosion for a company illegally storing chemicals.
I do not doubt you made some "contributions" while trying to adopt a Chinese child. They see "laowai" and think, "How can I take financial advantage of my position with this foreigner?"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.