Putin's Upcoming Win in Moldova.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I gripe about American journalists a lot.
Here is one who did a decent job.
Moldova is Europe's poorest country. (about $150/month)
A businessman named Ilan Shor cobbled together a huge bank deal in which one company was used as collateral for a loan to another, and that was used as collateral for another, and so on.
Suddenly, $1 billion goes missing. The Moldovan legislature asked a British accounting firm (Kroll) to see where it went.
All fingers point to Ilan Shor and Vlad Filat, a leading Moldovan politician.

When the supposed investigation first started, all the bank documents related to the only man named in the Kroll report, Ilan Shor, were loaded into a van to be driven to safe keeping. The van was promptly "stolen" and found burned, together with the evidence. Shor is free (as he happily pointed out at the time, there was no documentary evidence against him) and was just elected mayor of a town near the capital.
Man, what cajones.
Anyway, Marc Champion, of the Chicago Tribune does a great job of investigating, writing (without obvious bias), and telling an interesting, albeit sad, story. Good job, Mr. Champion.

And, the rest of the story, the pro-EU politicians are implicated, so the pro-Russian parties will probably win handily in the next elections, probably in the spring.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I really hate corruption. I would hope that we as a people would not put up with this stuff, but hopelessness is a strong thing.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I really hate corruption. I would hope that we as a people would not put up with this stuff, but hopelessness is a strong thing.
When I was in Bosnia in the mid-1990s, allegations of improprieties swirled around the Army & Air Force Exchange Service (merchandise getting "lost" and ending up being sold on the black market with the profits going to unknown parties, but probably including some AAFES employees). The AAFES Inspector General came to Sarajevo to look at the records of all the exchanges in Bosnia. The night before the inspection was to start, the AAFES office mysteriously burned to the ground, destroying (alas) all records that the IG team was going to use to nail the employees' butts to the floor. It was a terrible coincidence.
Nobody ever got nailed for the graft or the cover-up.

When I was in Bosnia in the mid-1990s, allegations of improprieties swirled around the Army & Air Force Exchange Service (merchandise getting "lost" and ending up being sold on the black market with the profits going to unknown parties, but probably including some AAFES employees). The AAFES Inspector General came to Sarajevo to look at the records of all the exchanges in Bosnia. The night before the inspection was to start, the AAFES office mysteriously burned to the ground, destroying (alas) all records that the IG team was going to use to nail the employees' butts to the floor. It was a terrible coincidence.
Nobody ever got nailed for the graft or the cover-up.
And I still remember when Logan Young fell upstairs and into his bed...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
And here is the kicker, the $1 billion bandit subsequently got elected mayor of Balti.
Talk about rewarding the guilty...
It is just sad. A poor country, one in which young men sell their own kidneys to make a buck, suffers one of the biggest white-collar bank heists in history and the voter reward the thief. SMH.
Yup,

That is hopelessness. At some point people just start going along with it shrugging their shoulders feeling that nothing can be done about it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.