Question: If Coach Cristobal leaves for the U, who replaces him?

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
We've had threads on CKS and CLK possibly leaving, so we add a new one. If CMC does leave for the HC at Miami, who does CNS get to replace him? Internal move or someone on the outside?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/11/9/9696088/florida-high-school-coaches-mario-cristobal-miami

"Right off the bat Mario Cristobal. I love the guy. He's a Miami guy. He's been in south Florida at FIU and was on the brinks of making them. They won two bowl games. He can recruit with the best of them. He's as big a part of success for Alabama as Nick Saban is." - Jevon Glenn, Deerfield Beach

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Ideally, I say back up the truck and pay what it takes to get Coach Stoutland back. I thought the OL was most dominant with him as the OL coach (even more so than Pendry who was said to still be helping even when Stoutland was here. I'm sure some of the insiders have more info on this). Stoutland may like the pro game better so he may not be viable option. Things are not going great with Kelly in Philly so he may be available. Beyond this, I dont know who to consider. The only other "name" I can think of as an OL coach is Rick Trickett who is now at FSU and was previously at WVU. He has a good track record as an OL coach.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
"He's as big a part of success for Alabama as Nick Saban is."

I find these questions ill timed but I know it's a forum and a place to ask questions . . . but this quote seems out of left field

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Ideally, I say back up the truck and pay what it takes to get Coach Stoutland back. I thought the OL was most dominant with him as the OL coach (even more so than Pendry who was said to still be helping even when Stoutland was here. I'm sure some of the insiders have more info on this). Stoutland may like the pro game better so he may not be viable option. Things are not going great with Kelly in Philly so he may be available. Beyond this, I dont know who to consider. The only other "name" I can think of as an OL coach is Rick Trickett who is now at FSU and was previously at WVU. He has a good track record as an OL coach.
I like this thought. Maybe Stoutland doesn't enjoy the recruiting aspect, but give me a young person to work with any day over a millionaire. I am just glad I don't have to make these type of decisions.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Stoutland can coach the players up, but he can't evaluate the guys. Look at the difference in OL signees under him compared to those under Pendry and Mario. Significant difference.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Stoutland can coach the players up, but he can't evaluate the guys. Look at the difference in OL signees under him compared to those under Pendry and Mario. Significant difference.
I forgot about that. I thought there was something that was mentioned on tidefans a few years ago about him.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Whoever it is they need to be ugly, maybe missing an appendage, none of his fingers point in the same direction, and an eye patch wouldn't hurt. He needs to look mean and instill that physicality. Cristobal is too pretty for that ;) *

* Blue font, sarcasm, etc. Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Understand this point & I thought about this as I was posting. Remember it being discussed in other threads. Stoutland was not the only evaluator of talent. Coach Saban has as much if not more say so on this as well. Stoutland was not a terrible evaluator, not enough to say he shouldn't be pursued.

With Cristobal the talent has been better but the coaching worse. Significant difference there too. I watched a replay of the 2012 SEC championship game this summer. The difference in execution & fundamentals was evident. If given the choice I would take Stoutland over Cristobal, even with the latter's recruiting edge.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
I realize they are kind of up there in age but I would like to vote for Hudson Houck or Alex Gibbs. Hey, I can at least wish.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Whoever it is they need to be ugly, maybe missing an appendage, none of his fingers point in the same direction, and an eye patch wouldn't hurt. He needs to look mean and instill that physicality. Cristobal is too pretty for that ;) *

* Blue font, sarcasm, etc. Etc.

I appreciate the compliment but I'm not really looking for a job right now.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Understand this point & I thought about this as I was posting. Remember it being discussed in other threads. Stoutland was not the only evaluator of talent. Coach Saban has as much if not more say so on this as well. Stoutland was not a terrible evaluator, not enough to say he shouldn't be pursued.

With Cristobal the talent has been better but the coaching worse. Significant difference there too. I watched a replay of the 2012 SEC championship game this summer. The difference in execution & fundamentals was evident. If given the choice I would take Stoutland over Cristobal, even with the latter's recruiting edge.

And how many of those players did Stoutland recruit? Those were Pendry guys that Stoutland got to coach.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
And how many of those players did Stoutland recruit? Those were Pendry guys that Stoutland got to coach.
Stoutland was not a terrible recruiter. Amari Cooper and Eddie Jackson were recruited by him.

http://247sports.com/Coach/Jeff-Stoutland-115/AllTimeRecruits

As far as OL commits Cristobal isnt the only one working OL prospects. Ultimately, evaluation and recruiting are done by Coach Saban. Cristobal, Stoutland, or whoever is not going to evaluate, offer, or sign a player without Coach Saban's input. As you know, CNS is very hands on in recruiting.

Yes, Cristobal is a better recruiter. No one disputes this. But, better talent hasnt been developed under his coaching. In pass protection, it has digressed, especially with Cam Robinson. I understand some of this is because of Coker and him holding the ball too long but other times it is not. We lead top 20 teams in negative plays and going into the LSU game we were 114th in the country (according to the graphic shown on CBS). Most of this is because our OL has play poorly at times with bad execution and fundamentals.

Pendry was the best but it is doubtful we can get him back. You and I have a difference of opinion as to what we should get. I like the Xs and Os and you want a better recruiter (based on what Im reading). When it comes to recruiting and evaluation, Coach Saban will sign top talent no matter the position due to the type recruiter he is. Maybe we can find a guy who can do both. Thankfully, it is not up to us :) Good discussion.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Stoutland was not a terrible recruiter. Amari Cooper and Eddie Jackson were recruited by him.

http://247sports.com/Coach/Jeff-Stoutland-115/AllTimeRecruits

As far as OL commits Cristobal isnt the only one working OL prospects. Ultimately, evaluation and recruiting are done by Coach Saban. Cristobal, Stoutland, or whoever is not going to evaluate, offer, or sign a player without Coach Saban's input. As you know, CNS is very hands on in recruiting.

Yes, Cristobal is a better recruiter. No one disputes this. But, better talent hasnt been developed under his coaching. In pass protection, it has digressed, especially with Cam Robinson. I understand some of this is because of Coker and him holding the ball too long but other times it is not. We lead top 20 teams in negative plays and going into the LSU game we were 114th in the country (according to the graphic shown on CBS). Most of this is because our OL has play poorly at times with bad execution and fundamentals.

Pendry was the best but it is doubtful we can get him back. You and I have a difference of opinion as to what we should get. I like the Xs and Os and you want a better recruiter (based on what Im reading). When it comes to recruiting and evaluation, Coach Saban will sign top talent no matter the position due to the type recruiter he is. Maybe we can find a guy who can do both. Thankfully, it is not up to us :) Good discussion.
First, it's been said numerous times on this board and elsewhere Cam has multiple injuries causing him problems.

Second, want to discuss the OL miscues and failures? Been established by some well respected posters that Lane Kiffin hasn't always gone with what the other offensive coaches wanted. Think there could be any correlation there?

Third, I'm not saying only get a good recruiter. I'm saying Jeff Stoutland rode Pendry's coattails. He benefited from Pendry hanging around and using the OL JP to get a job in the NFL. He gets plenty of love from fans for being such a good OL coach, yet he walked into a cupboard full of expensive groceries.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
First, it's been said numerous times on this board and elsewhere Cam has multiple injuries causing him problems.

Second, want to discuss the OL miscues and failures? Been established by some well respected posters that Lane Kiffin hasn't always gone with what the other offensive coaches wanted. Think there could be any correlation there?

Third, I'm not saying only get a good recruiter. I'm saying Jeff Stoutland rode Pendry's coattails. He benefited from Pendry hanging around and using the OL JP to get a job in the NFL. He gets plenty of love from fans for being such a good OL coach, yet he walked into a cupboard full of expensive groceries.
1) I have read about Cam's injuries and do think this is a factor but he is having a "sophmore slump" regardless. Some of it is fundamentals and some is him battling injuries. Cristobal is a good coach and a great recruiter but there has been some issues not only this year.

2) Correlated? Yes. Causation? Maybe,then again may be not.

3) I admitted earlier in the post that Pendry was the best. Stoutland did more than "ride his coattails." From a football standpoint, those were the best OL not only in talent but execution and fundamentals. Also, in my OP, I even stated it was rumored that Pendry was still involved when Stoutland came to the Capstone.

We disagree on Stoutland. That's OK. I'm not going to go on and on about this. I would love to have him back here. He did a great job for our program even though when we hired him even though he was implicated in the Miami debacle which, if I remember correctly, he was exonerated from any wrong doing. Will he come back here or even be offered? I dont expect it. Just my opinion.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Hey I'll tell of you what, I don't care who we get. It's going to be Coach Saban hiring him and each OL coach he has hired has been light years better than the gentleman who coached the OL before Coach Saban got here. Very easy threshold to cross, I know. But I did say light years beyond.

So, if Cristobal is fortunate enough to get the HC gig at Miami, I will wish him well and I will know that Coach Saban will find a capable replacement both on the field and off it in recruiting. I prefer an OL that is mean, aggressive, and knocks the opposing DL off the LOS over a lot of zone blocking, but that's just me. There are lots of ways to be successful.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.