Is Auburn Improving OR Does A&M Make Everybody Look Good?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I've given up on trying to predict the barn. They are too much like the Dow Jones Average--up and down, up and down. With Carl Lawson back they do seem to be much better on D though.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My take on Auburn - their defense has clearly improved as the season has progressed (and Lawson returned). Their offense is a mess. Their current QB would probably make a pretty solid pocket passer, but Auburn's offense and blocking schemes are not designed to have him operate in that way and they do not have a top tier receiving target. Gus isn't going to change his offense, so this isn't likely to improve this season.

Don't care about the GA game, but I don't see their offense scoring more than 10-17 points against Alabama's defense this year.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
My take on Auburn - their defense has clearly improved as the season has progressed (and Lawson returned). Their offense is a mess. Their current QB would probably make a pretty solid pocket passer, but Auburn's offense and blocking schemes are not designed to have him operate in that way and they do not have a top tier receiving target. Gus isn't going to change his offense, so this isn't likely to improve this season.

Don't care about the GA game, but I don't see their offense scoring more than 10-17 points against Alabama's defense this year.
Their "current QB" is back to being Jeremy Johnson

I still think it's more about A&M than Aubarn although like some have said on here the defense has improved, I think. It's still hard to say. Another CB going down for them makes it scattershot trying to judge how much better they've gotten. UGA beard own UK who should have beaten AU a few weeks ago. It's hard to tell for either team really. UGA should win because they are more talented, but we know how that goes.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
White was rated the Top Drop Back Passer in his class. 2 questions: Why did au sign him? Why did White sign with au?
Well, to be fair, the word on Gus then was that he's an "offensive genius" that can do anything with any body and everybody else, including CNS, will never figure his secrets out.

Chris Todd was held up as an example of how he can work with a slow, drop back passer.

Well, a lot has changed in a few years and now it's painfully obvious Gus needs a qb transfer from another SEC school that's a better runner than passer to make his schemes work.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, a lot has changed in a few years and now it's painfully obvious Gus needs a qb transfer from another SEC school that's a better runner than passer to make his schemes work.
Became clear with White. White looked really, really good - but the running game went totally in the toilet with him in the game because he couldn't run their bread/butter read option plays. And, for whatever reason, they can't/won't adjust their offense to use White in a pro-set where he would thrive.

White could be great in your offense.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
AU is improving some but a set-back against UGA will have them reeling again. Regarding A&M, Sumlin lost the team with the QB situation and starting a true freshman at QB in a SEC game is not a wise decision.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Became clear with White. White looked really, really good - but the running game went totally in the toilet with him in the game because he couldn't run their bread/butter read option plays. And, for whatever reason, they can't/won't adjust their offense to use White in a pro-set where he would thrive.

White could be great in your offense.
Gus has no idea what pro-set means.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
my amateur take on auburn:

*with Lawson back, they get more pressure up front which makes their average secondary better. which in turn makes their overall defense more respectable.
*the plays have been really dumb down for JJ to make him more serviceable rather than a liability. Gus is applying his smoke and mirrors once again in order to generate scores and moving the chains. White might return from injury which is a beneficial to their passing game with Louis and Ray getting better. if White is sideline for the remainder of the season, expect Gus to go back to what he does best, read option sprinkled with gimmicks and trickery.
*with the emergence of Jovon Robinson, auburn now has 3 backs with speed and power. Robinson and Barber give them power, Kerryon Johnson gives them speed and a wildcat option that Gus loves to use. the offense now has a full compliment of weapons for Gus's disposal.

when they loss to Arkansas, many barners were ready to go 5-7 or maybe 6-6 for the season, but then they beat TAMU due to TAMU struggling with their offense and that pathetic defense the aggies continued to put on the field, it was a perfect storm for auburn to steal a win on the road. TAMU actually did move the ball well, but the costly turnovers in the RZ hurt them bad and resulted in a loss. Murray is just not a good QB at this time, he makes bad decisions, mostly throwing into double coverage.

the UGA game was considered by many barners a loss about a month ago when Chubb was healthy. now with UGA struggling ( losing 3 out of 4 before their win vs UK) barners are feeling confident again. how about' that??

so in essence, yes auburn is improving as a team with players back from injuries ( Lawson) as well as players emerging from the bench ( Jovon Robinson) but it was coupled with major injuries to TAMU and UGA for them to feel confident again..
I still think UGA with Sony Michel along with a decent passing attack and a better UGA defense than TAMU will give auburn all they can handle. should be a close game.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
AU is improving some but a set-back against UGA will have them reeling again. Regarding A&M, Sumlin lost the team with the QB situation and starting a true freshman at QB in a SEC game is not a wise decision.
i may find myself (marginally) pulling for uga to win just to pour fuel on the barn dumpster fire (sorry audub)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
SanJose, I think you are giving Gus/JJ too much credit. Now, Gus may be dumbing it down, but let's face it, the qb just does what the signal from the sideline says to do.

JMO, but A&M made JJ look a lot better than he really is. I think RTR91 is right, if JJ plays qb against us, we'll shut his zone read down and we'll pick him off so many times our defensive secondary will tire from the long returns.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.