Is Auburn Improving OR Does A&M Make Everybody Look Good?

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
SanJose, I think you are giving Gus/JJ too much credit. Now, Gus may be dumbing it down, but let's face it, the qb just does what the signal from the sideline says to do.

JMO, but A&M made JJ look a lot better than he really is. I think RTR91 is right, if JJ plays qb against us, we'll shut his zone read down and we'll pick him off so many times our defensive secondary will tire from the long returns.
" but then they beat TAMU due to TAMU struggling with their offense and that pathetic defense the aggies continued to put on the field, it was a perfect storm for auburn to steal a win on the road"

BamaMoon, the last thing I want to do is give Gus or auburn any credit al all. :biggrin:

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
my amateur take on auburn:

*with Lawson back, they get more pressure up front which makes their average secondary better. which in turn makes their overall defense more respectable.
*the plays have been really dumb down for JJ to make him more serviceable rather than a liability. Gus is applying his smoke and mirrors once again in order to generate scores and moving the chains. White might return from injury which is a beneficial to their passing game with Louis and Ray getting better. if White is sideline for the remainder of the season, expect Gus to go back to what he does best, read option sprinkled with gimmicks and trickery.
*with the emergence of Jovon Robinson, auburn now has 3 backs with speed and power. Robinson and Barber give them power, Kerryon Johnson gives them speed and a wildcat option that Gus loves to use. the offense now has a full compliment of weapons for Gus's disposal.

when they loss to Arkansas, many barners were ready to go 5-7 or maybe 6-6 for the season, but then they beat TAMU due to TAMU struggling with their offense and that pathetic defense the aggies continued to put on the field, it was a perfect storm for auburn to steal a win on the road. TAMU actually did move the ball well, but the costly turnovers in the RZ hurt them bad and resulted in a loss. Murray is just not a good QB at this time, he makes bad decisions, mostly throwing into double coverage.

the UGA game was considered by many barners a loss about a month ago when Chubb was healthy. now with UGA struggling ( losing 3 out of 4 before their win vs UK) barners are feeling confident again. how about' that??

so in essence, yes auburn is improving as a team with players back from injuries ( Lawson) as well as players emerging from the bench ( Jovon Robinson) but it was coupled with major injuries to TAMU and UGA for them to feel confident again..
I still think UGA with Sony Michel along with a decent passing attack and a better UGA defense than TAMU will give auburn all they can handle. should be a close game.
Good post. One quibble. Jovon has also been less than 100% after getting injured against UL. With Barber running as well as he was, we didn't rush him back.

Barber's ability to run after contact pale's in comparison to Robinson's. Barber's a bowling ball, but Robinson's balance and ability to stay on his feet borders on amazing.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I feel for him. Having to live on an island surrounded by UGA fans is a fate I wouldn't wish on my own worst enemy.
i hardly talk football with anyone, uga folks dont want to talk about it, barn folks dont want to talk about it, tech folks dont want to talk about it and now falcons fans have gone silent.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The HUNH is built to take advantages away from the other team and they do that to some extent. However, they also create a lot of inconsistency. Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and Auburn have all played some good games over the past couple years. They have also had some pretty bad games. It's easy to read way too much into a single game from a HUNH team. They're built to be able to have a good game and knock off an Alabama for instance, but that also means they're built to trip themselves up sooner or later.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The HUNH is built to take advantages away from the other team and they do that to some extent. However, they also create a lot of inconsistency. Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and Auburn have all played some good games over the past couple years. They have also had some pretty bad games. It's easy to read way too much into a single game from a HUNH team. They're built to be able to have a good game and knock off an Alabama for instance, but that also means they're built to trip themselves up sooner or later.
I don't disagree at all. But outside of Auburn's NC year with Cam at QB, the best HUNH team I've ever seen had three unmistakable things:

1. Nick Marshall was a great running back playing QB who could hit the occasional pass (and he was pretty doggone luck on some of those hope and heaves)
2. They had a power running back...Tre Mason...who I think was a lot better than any of us game him credit for.
3. Probably most importantly, Auburn had a dominant offensive line that year. It didn't matter if qb or running back took the ball off the zone read, neither were rarely touched until they were 3-4 yards past the LOS.

The hurry up might have been used to confuse and tire the defense, but it was the execution of all three that made them the great team they were that year.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I had picked Georgia in the pick em games until I did the math. Talent wise Georgia should win by at least 2 TD. Stat wise Auburn should win by 2 TD. I have changed my pick em to Auburn. Georgia hasn't played up to their talent level and I don't see that changing here at the end.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The uga game will tell us a lot. If au beats them it may be over for CMR.
I asked this question before; there is no way Bama loses to the barn. Whoever loses barn vs ga, i think the fires get hotter. MR has more to lose though, as I think the barn is still convinced WM is going to be their salvation...even if they play in Birmingham in late December.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
What's all the hoopla about the barn beating A&M? 4 field goals? 3 critical turnovers?
If you can't score more than two td's on A&M, your offense isn't that great (MSU).
this is a rivalry game and don't think for a second the dawgs will be sleepwalking through this one.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
What's all the hoopla about the barn beating A&M? 4 field goals? 3 critical turnovers?
If you can't score more than two td's on A&M, your offense isn't that great (MSU).
this is a rivalry game and don't think for a second the dawgs will be sleepwalking through this one.
Agreed. The Barn outgained A&M which was the first time they did it to an opponent this year. Jax St. actually outgained them by 50 yds.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The hurry up might have been used to confuse and tire the defense, but it was the execution of all three that made them the great team they were that year.
The thing is they weren't really a great team that year. Lucky? Yes, and I'd argue that's the big thing the HUNH is built on. Auburn in 2013 should have lost to Alabama and Georgia. Would we really be calling them a great team with at least 3 losses? I kinda get your point, but we see people ask how good or bad these HUNH teams are sometimes and I'd just say they're both.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
BamaMoon;2713155 now it's painfully obvious Gus needs a qb transfer from another SEC school that's a better runner than passer to make his schemes work.[/QUOTE said:
Has anyone like that been arrested so far this year? LOL Gus can only hope.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Became clear with White. White looked really, really good - but the running game went totally in the toilet with him in the game because he couldn't run their bread/butter read option plays. And, for whatever reason, they can't/won't adjust their offense to use White in a pro-set where he would thrive.

White could be great in your offense.
So JJ can "run" the read option- but that is pretty much where it ends. His running skills are pretty meager - which is why their offense was so pedestrian when he started earlier in the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So JJ can "run" the read option- but that is pretty much where it ends. His running skills are pretty meager - which is why their offense was so pedestrian when he started earlier in the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's got pretty good straight line speed, but he's nothing like Marshall who was incredibly quick and powerful (for his size).

And when JJ drops back to pass all bets are off.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
historically, the home team doesn't fare well in this series. UGA as I mentioned will give them a dogfight. CMR can still finish the season 9-3.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.