Finebaum wouldn't be suprised if Saban leaves if he wins it all this year

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Re: Finebaum wouldn't be suprised Saban leaves if he wins it all this year

7) Dark horse candidate for any future, post-Saban coaching search: Jason Garrett of the Dallas Cowboys.
Jess, what's the thought process behind this? Not arguing, just curious how he fits into the Bama picture. Would be an interesting choice, for sure.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007

Finebaum is worried about the end of the Alabama/Saban marriage. It brought him his fame and fortune. When I listen to him this year, I see fear - fear that the run might be over for Alabama, and him. His confidence and swagger is gone.
I see that you've already had a ton of responses, so let me just respond a bit differently by putting it in the voice of a Finebaum caller:

Heyyy Pawwwlll. Roll Tahd. I'm a big fan of your show and I think you were exactly right the other day when you said Alabama would win the game. Uhhh. And uhhh. Hey Marcus. I think you're real good. You're an LSU guy but I still like you because you give real good analysis. But I'm an Alabama fan. And, uhhh, I like your suit today.

I'm calling cause of that Big feller from O-hio. Pawwwll. I just think its hilarious when these callers from O-hio call in thinking they know all about the SEC and the South! That Big feller don't know nothin! I've been listenin to this show for years and you've always called it like it is! You ain't puttin on some show now that you're on ESPN! They think cause they won one game they know all about everythang! Well you know what me and my buddies call Urban Meyer? We call him Urban Cryer!!

Anyways here's my question: if Saban is leaving next year, don't you think we'll get Jon Gruden? Roll Tahd.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010

Jess, what's the thought process behind this? Not arguing, just curious how he fits into the Bama picture. Would be an interesting choice, for sure.
Curious about that too (other than the fact that if you can work for Jerry Jones, you have proven that you can take ANY amount of nonsense that can be thrown at you).

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

I listen to Finebaum because he has a really good show. His guests are enjoyable. However, when he starts taking the phone calls from the fans I turn him off and do something productive because the screaming and hollering gets on my nerves.
This. It would be a great show if it was 90min long and filled with interviews and analysis. SEC network has some really good analysts and the PF show could show them off even more than it does. However, cant stand the call-ins. Most are stupid and annoying. Others are mostly repetitive. PF displays a good amount of rudeness with some callers also. Just focus on the football etc. He is a good interviewer in terms of his live studio guests.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I was wondering the same. While Garrett has done a decent job with the Cowboys (despite being handicapped by Jerry Jones) he has zero experience at the college level. That would concern me from both the recruiting and administrative level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

If the man wants to retire, let him retire. He's earned it in my book. When he leaves the program it will not be in shambles the way it was when he took the job and it will be an attractive job for a "top tier" coach. I'm not going to wring my hands worrying about whether he stays or goes! Alabama Football will be OK!

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Smart may or may not leave, but I'll be far beyond shocked if Kiffin still coaches at Alabama after the season ends...
Agree 100%. Found it interesting though that Finebaum said it would be Lane's decision that their are no issues between Lane and Saban, just the fact Lane always planned on this being 2 years to rehab his image and that is what he has done...

Regardless of the rumors about Lane, I thank him for opening the offense and the job he has done. The next OC hopefully can build on it...

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

Lets play Devils Advocate here.

Lets say Saban does retire when the year ends and Smart takes a HC job elsewhere. What would we do for Head Coach next season? Who is out there that we would hire? What would the list of names look like?

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Lets play Devils Advocate here.

Lets say Saban does retire when the year ends and Smart takes a HC job elsewhere. What would we do for Head Coach next season? Who is out there that we would hire? What would the list of names look like?
As Jess said, it will come from the Saban coaching tree therefore:

Jim McElwain (Would he really leavef UF after 1 year)
Mark Dantonio (Turns 60 in March, has had a heart issue, would be looking for a coach again in 5-10 years)
Jimbo Fisher (Would how he handled Crabby the rapist and others be welcomed in Tuscaloosa?)
Jason Garrett (Has dealt with Jerry Jones, he talks about the process ofter, extremely intelligent and highly regarded by Nick)
Pat Shurmur (Highly regarded as a OC and QB developer in the pros. Not much success as HC at Cleveland but, its Cleveland)

Garrett and Shurmur would have to be surrounded by high quality assistants who know how to recruit.

McElwain would be my first, second and third choice followed by Garrett. I think Garrett would 100% continue the process and if McElwain wasn't available could continue the Saban legacy quite well.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

McElwain would be great in Tuscaloosa if Saban retires, but if he's willing to walk out on Florida after just one season I wouldn't want him. I'm worn out with that stuff. I don't expect Saban to step down, so McElwain will have at least a few years to prove himself at Florida before we might need him back, and that would be good in my opinion.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Finebaum is great at what he does but if you really listen to his predictions, they are usually PC or made to stir things up. I personally believe that coach Saban could get the NC record, and another one would put him within close reach at a young 65. Coach Saban is not going anywhere folks. It is so obvious that he enjoys what he does, and like Spurrier, will quit when things star falling apart, not after a NC. You can take that to the bank! Finebaum is not the person to go to with predictions or even great football knowledge, which he lacks. He has ridden off the back of Bama and a great way to get the best out of the callers from Alabama. He was no Cecil Hurt as a beat writer either, his famous articles are scandal based and negativity.
He was almost laughed off of the set last week when he was the only person on the panel that said Fournette would rush for less than 130 yards.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

On Finebaum, I really gained a lot of respect for him during the tornado's of 2011. He had just gotten on Sirius radio but yet offered 100% of his air time dealing with the aftermath of the storms. He did a great deal for our state when we needed it. I think CNS likes Finebaum although I don't think he is privy to any inside info but he does communicate with a lot of people. If Coach wants to hang it up after the year, he needs to do it because he's earned it. As for who we might get I will say this: Anyone we want. RTR

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

As for who we might get I will say this: Anyone we want. RTR
Not sure about this since our dynasty is long since over. :wink:

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

I agree with what Jess said about Coach Saban on this one so I think Paul Finebaum's speculation is wrong. The only reason that I could imagine that would cause Coach Saban to retire is that he has a grandchild now and with his responsibilities, he probably doesn't spend as much time with her as he would like and he knows that he can't get that time back. However, Coach Saban is as driven a human being as you will ever find. People who are that driven simply cannot not work their behinds off and cannot retire in the traditional sense- they are simply wired to work, to organize, to improve, to finish to move to the next goal, and so on...

I think if Coach Saban did decide to retire he would be driving everyone around him crazy within a couple of months and he would be back in coaching again by the 2017 season. Most importantly, I think he and Miss Terry believe that too.

That's key to why I believe Coach Saban is going to be with us for another five years and a few more Championship runs yet.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

The way age catches up to older successful coaches is that it gets increasingly hard to recruit...nobody is sure how long the guy will be there when they sign.

My guess is that as long as Saban is reeling in top 5 classes he's good to go. If recruiting slows down over a several year period, I think that would be a tell that he's about done.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

I can't believe people listen to his crap. Never have been able to understand it...
If I happen to be watching ESPN when he comes on (which is rare) I leave the room. I think it has as much to with my dislike for where he came from as it does what he says; he's just another talking head. I have never listened to him on the radio, ever.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn

If CNS leaves and not to retire to the lake it would have to be for a "too good to pass up" NFL job. The Colts may be in the market and having a QB like Andrew Luck would qualify as "too good to pass up."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

Paul's just being Paul. I watch him from time to time and have learned over many years that he loves to get people riled up and talking. I love his time with Marcus Spears this season on his show. Spears is very knowledgable and is a great guy to watch discuss football. My guilty pleassure is Legend. He always brings it and knows how to put the smack talkers in their place. Got to love Legend.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

I would not be shocked if LK returns for another year. Surprised yes, but not shocked. I can see him sticking around waiting for just the right job to open up. It would be beyond hilarious if USC made a public push for him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.