Finebaum wouldn't be suprised if Saban leaves if he wins it all this year

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Listening to his show while doing some work. Caller asked about who might replace Kirby, Lane, Cristobal should they all get HC jobs. Finebaum said he didn't want to spread rumors on Veterans Day but threw out Saban retiring and the fact he knows Kirby is leaving, share same agent, good friends etc.

Hopefully we win the Title but, find out Slimebaum is wrong on his thought of Saban walking away if he wins...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Finebaum wouldn't be suprised Saban leaves if he wins it all this year

Finebaum is worried about the end of the Alabama/Saban marriage. It brought him his fame and fortune. When I listen to him this year, I see fear - fear that the run might be over for Alabama, and him. His confidence and swagger is gone.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al

One year he'll be right but not this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

He did the same routine in 2013 really. He said he thought Saban would retire if he won a NC. Perhaps he's right, may be Nick is waiting for a championship to go out on, but I don't think he's that type of coach.

If it's true that Alabama is going to lose a lot of coaches, and with all the other competing openings, I think waiting until after a championship game would be very bad for Alabama finding a good replacement.

So the real question is if he wants to go out on top, or wants to leave Alabama in the best shape possible. I'd tend to think he likes the idea of building something lasting at Alabama. If that's the case, he's actually more likely to retire leading up to a non-championship bowl game, during a period of less turmoil in the coaching ranks. That way Alabama would better equipped to find a replacement.

I looked at Spurrier as a reasonable example of how long Saban can coach in the SEC. If he's any indication, Saban would have at least 4 good years left.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Saban will coach about 3-4 more years in my opinion. He'll get out a few years ahead of the issues Spurrier ran into at South Carolina where Spurrier's age became ammunition for other school's recruiters. As long as our AD doesn't get caught up in continuity hires (inside the staff) or reaches on guys in the Saban coaching tree, I think we'll be sitting pretty in that 2018-2020 hiring process because I don't see the recruiting taking an appreciable dip.

Edit: I see Krazy thinks about the same on the window...

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

He's just stirring the empty pot. I would be shocked if that is how it went down.
This Finebaum guy is a "throw it up on the wall and see what sticks" type of journalist. He has absolutely no reason to think CNS will retire after this season. He is very successful at getting fan bases stirred up which keeps his name in the spotlight.
If CNS were to retire after this season, I think most reasonable Bama fans would thank coach for bringing our program back to prosperity. It will not be the end of the world if this happens!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

By the way, I'm kinda negative on coaching tree hires overall...I think it is a trap because being around THE guy don't make you the next guy. The only guy in the "Saban coaching tree" I'd hire today would be Jim McElwain and I don't know if even Alabama could pull a guy out of Florida...but his familiarity with what's going on here is a plus. But of course, McElwain has a few more years - hopefully - to prove his chops before our guys have to make that ballsy move.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I hope he's 50% right...we win the NC this year!

And then CNS makes his "This is not the end, but the beginning" speech again.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I can't believe people listen to his crap. Never have been able to understand it...

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com

Finebaum is worried about the end of the Alabama/Saban marriage. It brought him his fame and fortune. When I listen to him this year, I see fear - fear that the run might be over for Alabama, and him. His confidence and swagger is gone.
You obviously don't know Finebaum. A lot of people love to hate him but he was successful before the SEC network or coach Saban and will be after coach Saban leaves. He is good at what he does and has always been good at it. He is just on a national stage now instead of regional.

During the Shula years he made just as much hay as he does now with Saban. The only difference is he shows Alabama a lot of love now.

Many consider him an Alabama homer now but after Saban leaves and maybe another team starts dominating the conference, he will give them a lot of love and be considered a homer for them.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I think Coach Saban will retire from Bama, why do I think that, Coach Saban has stated just that every year when these rumors gets started..He's too old for another rebuilding job & no school can give any more tools than Bama has to win Championships..He has "The Process" rolling full steam ahead..It makes no sense for the man to lave now..

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

I heard that too. CNS still shows as much energy on the sidelines as coaches 20 years younger. Things can change but as it stands right now I'm sure he has at least 5 more years ahead of him as our coach. CPB looked really tired at his last game at the chilly Liberty Bowl. I see nothing of that with CNS.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

You obviously don't know Finebaum. A lot of people love to hate him but he was successful before the SEC network or coach Saban and will be after coach Saban leaves. He is good at what he does and has always been good at it. He is just on a national stage now instead of regional.

During the Shula years he made just as much hay as he does now with Saban. The only difference is he shows Alabama a lot of love now.

Many consider him an Alabama homer now but after Saban leaves and maybe another team starts dominating the conference, he will give them a lot of love and be considered a homer for them.
You're telling me that he made as much on an Alabama radio show as he is making at ESPN? Really?

Saban took him from local radio shock jock to national TV host. Yes, he is talented. Yes, he will still make money after Alabama's Tide ebbs (and it will, though hopefully later rather than sooner). And what he is doing now is trying to ensure that he isn't seen as someone who rode to stardom on Saban's coat tails, but he did.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I'm not a fan of the Finebaum show, but I also thought the same thing about Saban in 2013. I mean, seriously, what better way to go out than winning three in a row and four of five. I have also thought he may leave after this year if he wins another title. I certainly hope he doesn't, but I will simply be glad we had him as long as we have if he does.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

You're telling me that he made as much on an Alabama radio show as he is making at ESPN? Really?

Saban took him from local radio shock jock to national TV host. Yes, he is talented. Yes, he will still make money after Alabama's Tide ebbs (and it will, though hopefully later rather than sooner). And what he is doing now is trying to ensure that he isn't seen as someone who rode to stardom on Saban's coat tails, but he did.
I'm afraid you are wrong on this one. Paul Finebaum's success will continue without CNS at Bama. He makes a living making some people happy (right now he's pro-Bama) and the other folks miserable (Barners, Dawgs, UT - his alma mater).

He'll be around after CNS and be very successful because he learned his craft when he still wrote for newspapers.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Not that I believe it, but I believe it's this kind of team (slightly over-achieving) that really makes CNS happy and enjoying coaching. I think it's teams like 2010 and AJ's Senior year that frustrate him because they wasted so much talent.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Listening to his show while doing some work. Caller asked about who might replace Kirby, Lane, Cristobal should they all get HC jobs. Finebaum said he didn't want to spread rumors on Veterans Day but threw out Saban retiring and the fact he knows Kirby is leaving, share same agent, good friends etc.

Hopefully we win the Title but, find out Slimebaum is wrong on his thought of Saban walking away if he wins...
I hope he's wrong! If Saban were to retire in mid-January after we win the NC Championship, he would NOT be giving the University of Alabama much time to find/hire a head coach before the recruit signing day. And Kirby and Lane could already have jobs lined up elsewhere by then. Now, would Kirby know what is happening and turn down all offers from others except maybe UGA?

I do know as a coach gets older, like Coach Bryant did, other coaches use it in recruiting to let recruits know that the old man isn't going to be there for your 4 years or even close to it. So, how many good years are left for Coach Saban not to worry about that: 1, 2, 3, ...?

If it's true, then hire the Michigan State head coach. McElwain isn't leaving Florida.

I just don't think that will happen. Is Finebaum just trying to create news?

Let's create some news! Is that a toupee on the sides of Finebaum's head?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I'm afraid you are wrong on this one. Paul Finebaum's success will continue without CNS at Bama. He makes a living making some people happy (right now he's pro-Bama) and the other folks miserable (Barners, Dawgs, UT - his alma mater).

He'll be around after CNS and be very successful because he learned his craft when he still wrote for newspapers.
That's my point - he is distancing himself from Saban because he wants to survive. He will survive because he is doing this. As you said, he knows what he is doing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.