The VA Officials Taking the Vth before Congress

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The topic is timely, VA officials took the Vth in testimony before Congress.
I swear, Congress ought to pass a law automatically terminating any Federal employee to pleads the Vth Congress, and forfeiting any outstanding pay and benefits and deferred compensation and/or retirement pay.
Congress cannot fix the law if public employees decline to answer questions related to the law.
And, knowing how the game is played in that cesspool on the Potomac, I would deny jurisdiction over the issue to any Federal court and automatically close the Federal court of any Federal judge who attempts to hear a case related to this, and automatically terminate any Federal employee who attempted to defend in court any Federal employee who pleads the Vth before Congress.
You have a right not to incriminate yourself, but you don't have a right to a Federal job.

Man, that chaps my hide when they do this. These are public employees stealing public money and flipping the bird to the public while doing it.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
The topic is timely, VA officials took the Vth in testimony before Congress.
I swear, Congress ought to pass a law automatically terminating any Federal employee to pleads the Vth Congress, and forfeiting any outstanding pay and benefits and deferred compensation and/or retirement pay.
Congress cannot fix the law if public employees decline to answer questions related to the law.
And, knowing how the game is played in that cesspool on the Potomac, I would deny jurisdiction over the issue to any Federal court and automatically close the Federal court of any Federal judge who attempts to hear a case related to this, and automatically terminate any Federal employee who attempted to defend in court any Federal employee who pleads the Vth before Congress.
You have a right not to incriminate yourself, but you don't have a right to a Federal job.

Man, that chaps my hide when they do this. These are public employees stealing public money and flipping the bird to the public while doing it.
Way to trample on the Constitution... ;)

I share the outrage, but denying jurisdiction over a constitutional issue to a federal court is just silly. A better solution would be to provide some form of immunity. That would be immunity from prosecution, not immunity from being fired for any mis/mal/non-feasance that comes to light in your testimony, or from being fired if you are held in contempt for refusing to testify after being given immunity. And the immunity also wouldn't cover tax liability over the ill-gotten gains.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com

I share the outrage, but denying jurisdiction over a constitutional issue to a federal court is just silly. A better solution would be to provide some form of immunity. That would be immunity from prosecution, not immunity from being fired for any mis/mal/non-feasance that comes to light in your testimony, or from being fired if you are held in contempt for refusing to testify after being given immunity. And the immunity also wouldn't cover tax liability over the ill-gotten gains.

And they only have to give immunity to one person...let the others squirm, not knowing if they are being ratted out.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I share the outrage, but denying jurisdiction over a constitutional issue to a federal court is just silly.
I know, but like I said, I know how the game is played in the cesspool. If anybody were terminated for not answering Congress' questions, it would end up immediately in a Federal court and whenever something gets into a Federal court, what comes out may be absolutely insane. Nothing coming out of a Federal court could surprise me for its insanity. There is no bottom to that pit.

Doesn't Congress establish Federal court jurisdictions? And isn't every Federal court except the Supreme Court a creature of the Federal legislature? I seem to remember that the Republican controlled Congress did not like the DC Circuit ruing on habeas corpus cases during the Civil War, so disestablished the DC Circuit, and then re-established the DC Circuit a little later, under a different name and with different judges. It seems like if this can be used to screw over the United States, we might use it for the benefit of the US in this procedure.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I thought people gave up their rights when they entered public service. Isn't it part of the job of a public official to provide unclassified information to their superiors and the public. Or does the loss of rights only apply to county clerks?

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I thought people gave up their rights when they entered public service. Isn't it part of the job of a public official to provide unclassified information to their superiors and the public. Or does the loss of rights only apply to county clerks?
A county clerk comment was on the tip of my tongue when I read your first sentence, then you rounded it all out.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
There is no accountability and they will be none until we demand it. Are we up to the task that is before us?

If we had a Justice Department that had even a semblance of integrity this would not be happening.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
There is no accountability and they will be none until we demand it. Are we up to the task that is before us?
That will be a long wait, unfortunately, as long as our citizens interactions with politicians consist of "boxers or briefs?" and "She's ugly!"
If we had a Justice Department that had even a semblance of integrity this would not be happening.
The Department of Justice was born to ensure the partisan political advantage of one political party. It maintains that same role today, it has just switched to the other political party. I believe it is incorrigible and should be done away with.

TRUTIDE

All-SEC
Oct 14, 1999
Spanish Fort, AL
The Department of Justice was born to ensure the partisan political advantage of one political party. It maintains that same role today, it has just switched to the other political party. I believe it is incorrigible and should be done away with.
I cannot think of any other justice department that has been as political as this one. The past seven years have been awful and have set a precedent that I hope will be ignored in future admins.

What we need to get rid of is the VA. One of the few things I agree with Congressman Bradley Byrne on is his bill to give our vets a healthcare card that would allow them to go anywhere and get healthcare coverage. The VA is a shame on this country and needs to completely scratched.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
What we need to get rid of is the VA. One of the few things I agree with Congressman Bradley Byrne on is his bill to give our vets a healthcare card that would allow them to go anywhere and get healthcare coverage. The VA is a shame on this country and needs to completely scratched.
I couldn't agree with this more. I don't think I get irritated easily, but as a vet one thing that does stick up my crawl is when supposed supporters of veterans piggy back on and siphon off (in the name of advocacy) what this nation is trying to do for those that really need help. I have very little patience for these people when they approach me. I probably should have more, but it just irks me to no end.

To be specific I am not talking about people like the Wounded Warrior Project. That is one group that I do try to help. However, the fact they exist at all is a resounding indictment of the failure of the VA system.

IMO the VA should be completely scrapped and replaced by a joint system under the Department of Defense.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I cannot think of any other justice department that has been as political as this one. The past seven years have been awful and have set a precedent that I hope will be ignored in future admins.
The DoJ under Congressional Reconstruction was worse, although the DoJ under the Obama Admin is giving that DoJ a run for the money. Frankly, since Brown v. Board of Education, even on its best days the DoJ rarely rises to the level of "awful." Horrible people doing horrible things to the republic and charging the citizenry an arm and a leg to do it. Not much upside to the DoJ.
I wonder about the costs, and the savings from getting rid of the VA to offset.
My father-in-law served for eighteen months in Fort Knox, Kentucky, (never left the country, was never in a combat zone, much less combat wounded and now gets hearing aids for life, meds for life (and gripes about the co-pays) and other stuff. I'm not sure what his terms of service were, but I am not sure why the VA is covering anything for him (unless service-connected, which hearing loss might be, although he spent 30 years as a firefighter and I'd wager that does more to explain his hearing loss than 18 months at Knox).

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
The DoJ under Congressional Reconstruction was worse, although the DoJ under the Obama Admin is giving that DoJ a run for the money. Frankly, since Brown v. Board of Education, even on its best days the DoJ rarely rises to the level of "awful." Horrible people doing horrible things to the republic and charging the citizenry an arm and a leg to do it. Not much upside to the DoJ.

My father-in-law served for eighteen months in Fort Knox, Kentucky, (never left the country, was never in a combat zone, much less combat wounded and now gets hearing aids for life, meds for life (and gripes about the co-pays) and other stuff. I'm not sure what his terms of service were, but I am not sure why the VA is covering anything for him (unless service-connected, which hearing loss might be, although he spent 30 years as a firefighter and I'd wager that does more to explain his hearing loss than 18 months at Knox).
Personally I don't care if it saves us a penny, I would gladly pay more if it reduced the opportunity for corruption.

No doubt, there needs to be better screening of vets during out processing to ensure a specific condition is due to service. I have hearing loss myself probably due to some things that happened in service, but do not try to get any benefits. The problem is that sometimes those conditions do not manifest themselves until later. I don't think there are good answers for all of it. The last think I would want to do is take advantage or get preferential treatment because of my veteran status. It wouldn't be "service" if that was the case.

tidegrandpa

All-American

Difference in generations. My pop who flew 65 missions in WWII in B-26 Marauders, received 2 Purple Hearts, plane blew up after one mission 12/13/43, Schipol, Amsterdam; fell off plane tug hit head on concrete flight line, in coma 11 days, even received last rites. Never visited a VA facility in his life, lived till 77 years old.

Brother, received Vietnam draft classification 1A, senior year high school, joined Air Force immediately after graduation. After basic and a year at Eglin AFB, went to Okinawa for cryptography work deciphering bombing mission results and orders from the DMZ. Receives over 350.00 monthly from VA for ankle arthitis. I don't begrudge him of one nickel, I just know my pop would not have taken a cent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.