Jerry Clower tells a story about playing the Alabama Crimson Tide

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I always loved Jerry. Tickled me to death as a youth. Here is a story he tells when he played for Ms. State. Seems appropriate since Derrick Henry might do the same thing this week lol.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Love Jerry Clower. I always remember listening to him with my grandpa (who was a huge Tide fan as well). Jerry used to come to Camp Lejeune when I was stationed there and seemed to have more people at his shows than some of the country "stars" of the time who did shows there too. I miss that guy.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
"One time after he scored a TD he ran back through us just to humiliate us."

Jerry Clower was one of the greats. My parents and grandparents listened to him as well and I've got several CDs of his.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I love Jerry Clower too. When I was in college my buddies and I played Jerry Clower quarters. When someone rang the glass and you got picked you had to go "hawwwww" before you drank. If you forgot you drank again. Funny man.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I love Jerry Clower too. When I was in college my buddies and I played Jerry Clower quarters. When someone rang the glass and you got picked you had to go "hawwwww" before you drank. If you forgot you drank again. Funny man.
someone should do an anthology of all of the quirky rules developed for quarters

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
He's got to be referencing the 1950 game, won by us, 14-7.

Butch Avinger was the QB (he was an RB the year before) and Larry Chiodetti played running back.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In 1983, we were living in base housing at Sembach AFB, West Germany. My Dad has just gotten a brand new Sansui stereo system, and he was rewinding a Jerry Clower cassette to listen to something. Back then (don't know about now) on AFN, they did NOT show American commercials, they showed things like "travel to Garmisch" and safety commercials. The commercial that came on featured a shoe box with two eggs inside of it. It was a seat belt commercial and one egg was strapped in and the other wasn't. Then they closed it and pounded it on the table once. (Then they opened it to show the eggs and ask, "Which would you rather be now?")

About the time they hit the table with the box, Dad hit play. Right then, Jerry Clower on tape was talking about his coon dog Ole Highball, and Uncle Versi was screaming. Right as the box went "bam" and Dad hit play, you had Clower going, "AAAAWWWWWWWWW!!!!!"

It was so hilarious - after pretty much scaring the mess out of us - that we all spent about the next 20 minutes laughing together.

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
Jerry and the Ledbetter clan...pure genius! Miss him....we don't have any story tellers like that anymore!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Today's comedians should all watch some of Jerry Clower's videos, you can be funny without uttering the 1st cuss word, he was a legend & still a southern treasure..

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
I seem to recall a version of the football story, or maybe it was another, where he talked about how good a running back was, and said in effect "I saw him comin. I got ready, and I stuck him. Fifteen yards later he fell down." Or something to that effect. His Mama/Women's Lib is a good one too. Heck, they all are.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Yazooo Mississippi.:)
I have a buddy that played at Yazzoo and later went on to play at Ole Miss. He use to talk about how he played center against a nose tackle from Nachez High by the name of Hugh Green. Hugh was runner up for the Heisman later at Pittsburgh. He said Hugh simply beat the snot out of him for four quarters.

He also dated Clower's daughter while in high school. Said the man was as funny in real life as he was on the stage.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I seem to recall a version of the football story, or maybe it was another, where he talked about how good a running back was, and said in effect "I saw him comin. I got ready, and I stuck him. Fifteen yards later he fell down." Or something to that effect. His Mama/Women's Lib is a good one too. Heck, they all are.
That story was about Auburn's Travis Tidwell. Here's a link to an old SI article that contains a part of that story:

http://www.si.com/vault/1973/04/30/615652/knock-im-out-jay-ree

Found the story on youtube, takes a couple of minutes before it gets to that point in the recording, but here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDMrcmV1J70

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I believe Jerry started out playing at Southwest Mississippi Junior College in Summit, MS before going to Mississippi State.

And if you happen to be driving through Summit, don't blink or you are in McComb...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.