News Article: Alabama's Defense on a Roll Braces for Dak Prescott

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/p...a-roll-braces-for-mississippi-states-prescott

Decent read on the match this weekend and how dominant our defense has been this year. Dak Prescott is quietly having a really good year.

I dont know how much credibility should be given to ESPN's metrics but this article gives a few tidbits about our D. Frankly, I just love reading about how dominant this D has been this season regardless of how they measure it. :BigA:

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/p...a-roll-braces-for-mississippi-states-prescott

Decent read on the match this weekend and how dominant our defense has been this year. Dak Prescott is quietly having a really good year.

I dont know how much credibility should be given to ESPN's metrics but this article gives a few tidbits about our D. Frankly, I just love reading about how dominant this D has been this season regardless of how they measure it. :BigA:
I've watched the game tapes of Prescott this year and He has improved so much compared to last year. Having two big receivers helped him a lot this year. However, I think our defense will definitely handle this game well because of our experience last year with Duke and Auburn... So Defense are coming into this game knowing that they gotta show the world that we can stop the passing attack... I don't think we've really seen one since Badger game. WE stop Prescott, then It looks good for us going forward.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I've watched the game tapes of Prescott this year and He has improved so much compared to last year. Having two big receivers helped him a lot this year. However, I think our defense will definitely handle this game well because of our experience last year with Duke and Auburn... So Defense are coming into this game knowing that they gotta show the world that we can stop the passing attack... I don't think we've really seen one since Badger game. WE stop Prescott, then It looks good for us going forward.
Good points. I agree. I haven't watched State much this year but from what I've seen Dak has improved. One thing they're missing is a power running game which was something they had last year. But as we have seen power running games do very little against our D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My concern with MSU is that they will not have to change anything for this game with Alabama. Unlike LSU, whose offensive strengths matched up poorly with Alabama, MSU's strength matches up well. They haven't had success running the ball all season, so it isn't built into their game plan. They don't care if they only run for 80 yards in the game. Their passing game is their running game.

They make few mistakes and dink and dunk their way down the field with quick passes. Their receivers don't drop the ball, and Dak is used to having the weight of the entire offense on his shoulders. Alabama is going to have to get there much faster than has been necessary against other QBs, but if they pin their ears back Dak will pull the ball down and run.

A great challenge for your defense. It should be a fun game to watch.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
My concern with MSU is that they will not have to change anything for this game with Alabama. Unlike LSU, whose offensive strengths matched up poorly with Alabama, MSU's strength matches up well. They haven't had success running the ball all season, so it isn't built into their game plan. They don't care if they only run for 80 yards in the game. Their passing game is their running game.

They make few mistakes and dink and dunk their way down the field with quick passes. Their receivers don't drop the ball, and Dak is used to having the weight of the entire offense on his shoulders. Alabama is going to have to get there much faster than has been necessary against other QBs, but if they pin their ears back Dak will pull the ball down and run.

Minkah/ Marlon/ Eddie is going to have to step up once again. Minkah and Eddie did that in Texas A and M Game. I think we'll see Defense putting more pressure on prescott and Force Dan to work faster. Only thing we can do is control the ball on the field with offense and force 1 or 2 turnovers and we should be good. Keep that in mind Defense is lot fresher than they were last year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

So the DL needs to knock down a few passes at the LOS? I'll take those odds.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Seems like everyone in the media is heaping praise on Dak and the Miss State offense. Am I missing something? Every team they have played that has a pulse they have struggled offensively - 19 points vs LSU, 17 points vs AU, 17 vs Texas A&M. Those are the 3 best teams they have played and they are 1-2 in those games without scoring more than 19 points. I'm not sure there is much to brace for..

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Minkah/ Marlon/ Eddie is going to have to step up once again. Minkah and Eddie did that in Texas A and M Game. I think we'll see Defense putting more pressure on prescott and Force Dan to work faster. Only thing we can do is control the ball on the field with offense and force 1 or 2 turnovers and we should be good. Keep that in mind Defense is lot fresher than they were last year.
our db and lb pursuit and tackling in the flats/space seems much improved this year. that always seemed (to me, at least) to be a big vulnerability for us against these spread type teams. also, these teams only seem to give us trouble when our o stalls.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Seems like everyone in the media is heaping praise on Dak and the Miss State offense. Am I missing something? Every team they have played that has a pulse they have struggled offensively - 19 points vs LSU, 17 points vs AU, 17 vs Texas A&M. Those are the 3 best teams they have played and they are 1-2 in those games without scoring more than 19 points. I'm not sure there is much to brace for..
I see your point. Matt Wyatt stated on JOX yesterday that you really don't know what you have in MSU. Don't know I agree with him 100%. That being said Dak is having a good year. Almost all of their production has been because of him. He's all they have and statically is having a decent year. I don't think anyone believes MSU has a good offense just a pretty good player in Prescott. Bama will have to prepare well for him. The only way we struggle Sat. IMO is if our O puts our D in a bind. Even if that happens I still think we can win this game easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Turnovers and mistakes. If we limit those, MSU isn't going to score a lot. Between our defense and JK Scott, as long as the offense just doesn't screw it up we'll be fine. I don't expect us to set the score board on fire because that's not really who we are this year. But I think we can put up 3 TDs. I don't think MSU can unless we help them out.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
our db and lb pursuit and tackling in the flats/space seems much improved this year. that always seemed (to me, at least) to be a big vulnerability for us against these spread type teams. also, these teams only seem to give us trouble when our o stalls.
This has been a huge improvement with our D. We are not over pursuing and have been tacking well in space. Reuben Foster especially has improved in this area (and pass coverage- really proud of him and his progress). I think we can shut MSU down in our base D if we can handle their WRs one on one or maybe run zone/pattern match in our nickel package. Then we can seal the outside have have Ragland, Foster, or other LBs in the middle of the field waiting on Dak to pull it down to run. Also, we have had very active hands at the LOS and have knocked down a lot of passes. Another advantage for us. I think our schematic changes we've seen this year enables us to match up will against teams like MSU. I don't see them moving the ball very much.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
As 92 said, our secondary play is much better than last year. Our star package is desgined to stop the zone read like MSU runs. Fast, hard hitting safeties and the added coaching tecnique of Mel Tucker make for a potent secondary. This defense may be better than 1992 and 2011. That's rare air.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Shhh... Let them be hyped to the skies... :)

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I'm not buying into the hype this week. Just like last week's LSU hype the media is all Dak, Dak and more Dak. They'll be talking about a dead Dak tomorrow night. Bama wins by 14, maybe more!

Look at MSST's wins this year: Southern Miss, Northwestern St., Auburn, Troy, LA Tech, Kentucky and Missouri. That's not very impressive. Only 3 of those teams have winning records and Auburn just went above .500 last week. They were a better team last year and still couldn't beat us. Dak may have improved but he lost all his support, his improvement will not be enough. Once the MSST emotional high wears off, Bama will control this game.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I'm not buying into the hype this week. Just like last week's LSU hype the media is all Dak, Dak and more Dak. They'll be talking about a dead Dak tomorrow night. Bama wins by 14, maybe more!

Look at MSST's wins this year: Southern Miss, Northwestern St., Auburn, Troy, LA Tech, Kentucky and Missouri. That's not very impressive. Only 3 of those teams have winning records and Auburn just went above .500 last week. They were a better team last year and still couldn't beat us. Dak may have improved but he lost all his support, his improvement will not be enough. Once the MSST emotional high wears off, Bama will control this game.
The line is way too low this week around 7.5-8 Im looking for a 17-21 point win if not more. I dont bet but if I did I would be putting money on the Tide this week.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Interesting perspective from someone about lot of focus on QB this week. Last week it was Fournette. Week before it was Dobb, Georgia on Lambert, Texas A and M on their offense... I think Defense is kinda fed up that theyre not getting respect like they deserve... and this continues this week. After this game, they will say " Jeremy Johnson and Sean White could impose problems for Alabama defense, because they've got better in recent weeks... They could be the guy who pick them apart. Remember the last few years Alabama had trouble stopping their Qbs.. and I don't see the trend stopping anytime soon..>"

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Interesting perspective from someone about lot of focus on QB this week. Last week it was Fournette. Week before it was Dobb, Georgia on Lambert, Texas A and M on their offense... I think Defense is kinda fed up that theyre not getting respect like they deserve... and this continues this week. After this game, they will say " Jeremy Johnson and Sean White could impose problems for Alabama defense, because they've got better in recent weeks... They could be the guy who pick them apart. Remember the last few years Alabama had trouble stopping their Qbs.. and I don't see the trend stopping anytime soon..>"
You forgot Charleston Southern's all world offensive player which will give our D fits. I dont know what position their best player plays but we cannot look past him. No way we stop him with our weak secondary and our struggles against the spread. :biggrin:.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The biggest storylines/narratives/factors/etc in this game are basically:

1. Alabama has not played two complete football games in a row all season. Is it even possible for a team to be dialed in like last week for a second consecutive week? Probably not, but a performance above the Arkansas and Tennessee games is needed while another Ole Miss game performance will certainly mean a loss.

2. Dak Prescott is on a roll with his arm and is always dangerous with his feet. The QBs who have really hurt us in the run game are usually the types with speed to burn. The Dak-types (Tebow and Newton) have done it with efficient passing against looks that treat them kinda like a throwing Fournette. LF might be the best offensive player in the SEC but Dak is probably the second best and definitely the most likely to mismatch us.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.