Lane Kiffin Interviewed for the Maryland Head Coach Vacancy

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Kiffin most likely not coming back is one of the worst kept secrets coming out of T'town.

On the interview- good for him. Hope he lands somewhere good & applies some of the things he learned here. I would think he would try to land one of the better jobs but this might be a good place for him. I don't expect him at the Capstone regardless of what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think Maryland might be a good fit for him. He has pretty good recruiting ground in the Maryland/Virginia/DC area. Plus he still has ties nationally.

I wish him the best, and hope they hire him.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I have to imagine him going out in a strong note has to do more for him as far as offers and opportunity. As such, even more motivation to try and win it all

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I think Maryland might be a good fit for him. He has pretty good recruiting ground in the Maryland/Virginia/DC area. Plus he still has ties nationally.

I also think he would be a good fit at Maryland or Miami (even better), but wonder if he'd want something on the other coast, even if it meant remaining OC for a while longer.

It won't happen, but it would be quite the kick in the pants if was the USC OC next year.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Must be a practice interview because I can't imagine Kiffin being offered this job unless the Under Armous CEO is pushing the move. Plus Maryland isn't a top tier job and surprising to see Kiffin going for a job at that level.
Agreed, unless the CEO wants him I just don't see it. They might be wanting to make a splash though because they are becoming Oregon-East with their uni's as UA wants to be a major player and they have the backing to do it. There has been some decent talent up there lately so it can be appealing. Hope he finishes with us though no matter what job he goes to next.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Even before this season started, I had a feeling this would be his last year at Bama. I hope he finishes the season strong, and leaves on good terms.

My only concern is in regard to recruiting, looking at how he left UT and tried to pull some of those recruits to USC with him. Hopefully, he has matured since then.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I wish lane good luck either way. I would be surprised if he takes the Maryland job if offered. I am from Maryland originally, and was a fan until I moved to tenn and became a bama fan 20 years ago. Maryland at one time was a solid team when bobby ross was there. but, when a new president came in and decided that Maryland would be a shining education beacon in the acc, and failed to upgrade facilities, ross left, fridgen came in and was successful for several years, and the program died since edsel. I cant imagine why he would go to the east coast unless he just needs a change. I thank him for the job he has done, whatever happens.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Must be a practice interview because I can't imagine Kiffin being offered this job unless the Under Armous CEO is pushing the move. Plus Maryland isn't a top tier job and surprising to see Kiffin going for a job at that level.
I really think that's his best option to finish proving himself and then go for a top job..
I agree - if he can make some noise and upend a couple of the biggies in the B1g and generate a decent record, that would pretty much give him a good shot at a top job somewhere. Right now I don't think he could (or should) do much better.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I really think that's his best option to finish proving himself and then go for a top job..
I totally agree. Maryland is decent recruiting ground, has a booster willing to pump big bucks into the program and he expectations won't be insane the first few ears. Its a good spot for him to show what he's learned in his last few coaching stops.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Even before this season started, I had a feeling this would be his last year at Bama. I hope he finishes the season strong, and leaves on good terms.

My only concern is in regard to recruiting, looking at how he left UT and tried to pull some of those recruits to USC with him. Hopefully, he has matured since then.
I can see him influencing a couple recruits due to talent level and competition for playing time at Bama. But it's not USC. Don't worry too much about it.

He'll have other interviews soon. Too many opportunities out there. Just hope he can stay focused on the task at hand but if the situation declines I'm confident we'll be fine rest of the way without him.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Don't look for him to stay at the Capstone, or for that matter anywhere within the SEC footprint!
The BIG X/14 seems like it would be a good fit for his true "O'...
Maryland has a decent recruiting area and Kiffin's name could push that footprint out a little further!

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I think that Lane owes a lot to Coach Saban, and I hope, but I doubt, that he will have picked up as much of the administrative aspects of the job from coach, as some of the previous coaches, like Coach McElwain and Jimbo. And it is for the same reason that he may end up as a NFL OC in the end. I hope for his sake that he picked up how to run a team over the long haul, because he has yet to ever to that.

I think Mizzou would be a dream job for him at this point, but he would not get it. He has a SEC Championship and now an opportunity for another and a NC.......if I was him? That would be my top priority. How he finishes his career under the Legendary coach Saban will play a large roll in future opportunities, like the one after the next. My observations are based on visual observations between the two. He was given two years under a master, will be fun to see what he does with it.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I have no faith in the media. "isn't expected to?" That is ambiguous at best. It could mean that they have talked and want to put a lid on it......in other words, means nothing to me. No team wants to interfere with a top 4 team right now, publicly.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.