News Article: Dog belonging to ex-Raven Terrence Cody starved to death, prosecutors allege

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I dont know what to make of this. Very, very sad story
Former Ravens player Terrence Cody's dog was so skinny and sick that employees at a Reisterstown animal hospital thought the animal was dead when he brought it in for treatment in January, veterinary staffers testified in court.
"This dog died a horrible, miserable death because of the conduct of both of these defendants," prosecutor Adam Lippe told Judge Judith C. Ensor.

Cody's attorney, Joe Murtha, said Cody neglected the animal but never intended for it to die. Cody paid $4,000 for the dog and another $4,000 to import it from Spain, he said.

"Terrence Cody did not intentionally kill his dog," he said. "He certainly acted in a neglectful way."

Cody was released by the Ravens when he was indicted in February.

According to forensic veterinarian Dr. Martha Smith-Blackmore, an expert witness who testified for the prosecution, Taz died of starvation and had likely been neglected for at least four weeks.

The Canary mastiff is an ancient breed of dog tracing back to the Roman Empire, she said. They are typically very muscular and weigh between 99 and 141 pounds.

Taz weighed less than 50 pounds the night he died, Lippe said.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...md-co-terrence-cody-trial-20151111-story.html
The video at the link shows a picture of the dog. Its hard to look at.:frown:
Sounds like extreme gross neglect

I'm not an animal lover and I don't have any pets. If you chose to be a pet owner you should take care of that animal. Cody should be charged severely and pay a heavy fine. People around me think I hate dogs and pets and such which I do not. I'm happy for you and your pet. I just don't want any at my house. I cannot stand cruelty to animals of any kind.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I'm not an animal lover and I don't have any pets. If you chose to be a pet owner you should take care of that animal. Cody should be charged severely and pay a heavy fine. People around me think I hate dogs and pets and such which I do not. I'm happy for you and your pet. I just don't want any at my house. I cannot stand cruelty to animals of any kind.

That's me too. I don't have pets because I have neither the time, money nor inclination to properly care for them. I'm sure my neighbor has enough (4 dogs, 6 cats) to go around.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Some follow-up
Baltimore County Police Sgt. Andrew MacLellan, who executed a search warrant at Cody and Kelley's home a few days after Taz's death, testified for the prosecution. He described a filthy crate filled with feces and vomit in the garage, where Taz often stayed. The garage smelled so bad that detectives covered their noses and mouths, he said.

On cross examination by defense attorney Joe Murtha, the sergeant said that other dogs in the home were "in perfect condition."
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-co-cody-trial-day-2-20151113-story.html
Makes no sense:conf2:

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Wow! That's crazy!

Rather sedate from where I sit.

Since I retired from the ** 23 years ago, my wife and I have had at one time or another, up to 8 horses (barn), 9 dogs (6 in the house, 3 in exterior workshop w/fenced yard), can't count the cats...all rescues...over 40 years, we have had 16 dogs total, with numbers 14, 15 and 16 still here now. My wife passed away this past spring, and I would not want to be without Sherrill, Andy and Jack. I have no issue at all with those that don't want to have pets...it's and individual choice...but so is neglect, and I do have issue with that--absolutely disgraceful.

Rather sedate from where I sit.

Since I retired from the ** 23 years ago, my wife and I have had at one time or another, up to 8 horses (barn), 9 dogs (6 in the house, 3 in exterior workshop w/fenced yard), can't count the cats...all rescues...over 40 years, we have had 16 dogs total, with numbers 14, 15 and 16 still here now. My wife passed away this past spring, and I would not want to be without Sherrill, Andy and Jack. I have no issue at all with those that don't want to have pets...it's and individual choice...but so is neglect, and I do have issue with that--absolutely disgraceful.
That's what gets me. I'm just a guy who doesn't like pets. You've chosen to take the animal in and care for it and you take the animal in and don't do the right thing. That's just sad in my book.

You're right, which is exactly why when I go over there, I rarely go inside. The smell is unbearable, to say the least.

To the OP, I also can't stand to see an animal mistreated.
Yeah, but if they like it that's them. Mistreatment of animals to me should go as far as carrying the same jail time as human beings since they say the animals are like family.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm not an animal lover, but too many folks think that means I'm a 'hater.' I'm not. (My theory? I still remember the pain of losing animals at a very young age - way too vividly -, so I'm emotionally disengaged from them). I don't think animals have 'rights' but I'll flog someone with a whip who mistreats one (and that can admittedly be tough to determine - my Dad was raised with animals and he brought them all up submissive and under his power and yet he'd whack anyone who hurt one).

I didn't even understand the whole Mike Vick thing when it happened. When it was explained to me, I was appalled (that's an understatement).

If you're gonna own a pet, treat them with dignity and respect or DON'T OWN ONE!!!!!

At the risk of sounding a jerk, it sadly doesn't surprise me. Cody never even looked like he took good care of himself. (And yes, neither did I but I'm not being paid millions to play a game, either).

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Terrence Cody convicted of neglect in animal cruelty case

Former Ravens player Terrence Cody was acquitted Monday of the two most serious animal cruelty charges against him but found guilty of multiple misdemeanors after a trial in Baltimore County Circuit Court.
Cody, 27, was found not guilty by Judge Judith C. Ensor of two felony counts of aggravated animal cruelty. But Ensor convicted him of five other counts related to failing to provide care for Taz. She also found him guilty of illegally possessing an alligator and of neglecting the alligator. Before she read her verdict, Ensor said she was mindful that not every "morally reprehensible" action is illegal.
Ensor scheduled sentencing Jan. 5 for Cody and Jan. 22 for Kelley. Each faces more than a year of jail plus fines. The couple has two young children.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...md-co-terrance-cody-trial-20151116-story.html

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Well, I'm definitely sure that I don't understand what you're saying...:conf2:...blue font issue with your tapatalk?
I think you may need to reread it. He was very straightforward in saying it is sad that someone would make the decision to own a pet and then not take care of it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.