Kenyan Drake appreciation thread!

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
We don't have to, but obviously CNS believes it's worth the risk.
And it really hasn't been a problem for him. We seem to stay pretty healthy. But I do think some players, maybe like Kenyan, should not be on special teams. But on the flip side, NFL scouts our looking at him in that role as well. So I am sure he was more than happy to be doing it. On the injury, he was down the field like a bullet.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Excellent post above. I can tell than he lost some of his cutting ability on his left leg from the awefull injury. But he still plays at full speed giving it everything he has. Like Prothro, he might play harder than his body was made, it is both sad and inspiring.
I don't know if I would say that.. considering there was poor blocking this year by OL....

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I don't know if I would say that.. considering there was poor blocking this year by OL....
This is just my opinion, but he seems to cut better on his right than left. I am not saying that it has effecting his performance, just to be clear. He had a bad injury. I am surprised how good he is.

And the OL has been fine, so I don't think there is any blame to go around.

Last edited:

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Good news/bad news

Good news, there are no NFL teams in the state of Mississippi, which clearly Kenyan needs to stay the heck out of.

Bad news, Kenyan may go down at the top of the list of "what might have been" Bama players. His last two seasons were pretty much cut short to broken bones, and i'll go to my grave believing that the Kick 6 would have never happened had Nick trusted Kenyan instead of riding TJ all game on one good wheel. I have a soft spot for Kenyan because he (and Tomlinson) were renaissance men of sorts who just happened to be good at football, but football wasn't the be all, end all for them. I stated as much in my Crown Jewel write up for him. He's been my favorite player on the team since he stepped on campus. Wish it would have ended on a more positive note for him, but such is life.
I 100% agree with this statement. Said the same myself.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Good luck to Kenyan I hope you heal quickly. I really appreciate how hard you play for Bama! I'm praying for a full recovery in a short time. RTR!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This is just my opinion, but he seems to cut better on his right than left. I am not saying that it has effecting his performance, just to be clear. He had a bad injury. I am surprised how good he is.

And the OL has been fine, so I don't think there is any blame to go around.
I'm sorry...OL and WR Blocking has been fine for Drake several times this year?

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I'm sorry...OL and WR Blocking has been fine for Drake several times this year?
No I am not going to get into that, Drake has done well, and the OL has done fine. I made a comment that I thought he does not cut as well off his left leg, but I said nothing about his performance. You can compensate for a lot of things. I am not being critical of performance. And remember, I started the thread! lol

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I wish we didn't have to use our very best athletes on special teams....
This swings wildly back and forth depending on recent events. If Alabama has something bad happen on special teams, some fans want even more importance placed on special teams. Get rid of a position coach, bring in a special teams only guy, etc... that line of thought can be argued all the way through, only play your best players and have a dedicated special teams coach.

Then there's the flip side, one that we've seen expressed somewhat to, which is that special teams is an afterthought. We once mocked Auburn for having a scholarship long snapper (we have one to now). The idea there is special teams is a bunch of walk-ons who you just cobbled together. The risk there is obvious as well though.

There is some middle ground, but the fact is you just can't get away entirely from using talented people on special teams. It is a necessity.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
He ain't dead yet. Kenyan Drake is a great player, who will be back by the playoffs to help us win another championship and to further showcase his tremendous abilities. This thread is coming off as a swan song. Stop it, please.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Good news/bad news

Good news, there are no NFL teams in the state of Mississippi, which clearly Kenyan needs to stay the heck out of.

Bad news, Kenyan may go down at the top of the list of "what might have been" Bama players. His last two seasons were pretty much cut short to broken bones, and i'll go to my grave believing that the Kick 6 would have never happened had Nick trusted Kenyan instead of riding TJ all game on one good wheel. I have a soft spot for Kenyan because he (and Tomlinson) were renaissance men of sorts who just happened to be good at football, but football wasn't the be all, end all for them. I stated as much in my Crown Jewel write up for him. He's been my favorite player on the team since he stepped on campus. Wish it would have ended on a more positive note for him, but such is life.
That still makes me mad. Drake had burned the barn on quite a few carries that game and then he's gone. I wonder if he said something to make Coach mad because I don't think he got a carry in the 2nd half of that game. I was screaming at the tv (like that does any good) to give the ball to Drake. But that is how it goes sometimes. Just glad Drake will be back. I'm not sure I would even play him against Florida either just to make sure he's ready for the playoffs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.