On Kenyan Drake's injury: I've had it...

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I presume Saban wanted Drake on the coverage unit because he must have felt it reduced the chance for a big return. Drake was certainly the first one on scene in that play. It would be interesting to see the opinions if the Bullies had broken a long return with a healthy Drake standing on the sideline.

I'm very glad that Drake will probably be back for the *really* big games assuming we get that far. For now, we will get a preview of next year, with Bo and Damien getting reps in practice and gametime. This can only help us down the road and it may turn over a stone that Saban might not have looked under this season.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
It seems like every year, you and a lot of other people are screaming "FIRE BOBBY WILLIAMS!!!" because of poor special teams play, but when the coaches put the best players on the field and make our S/T a weapon, people criticize the coaches for having stars out there.
I've never said a word about firing Bobby Williams. Ever. I said, in my opinion, we shouldn't have key running backs covering kicks. That's all. What if that had been Henry?
After Kenyans injury we put Bradley Sylve in his place, kicked off, and he made the tackle on the ten yard line. Nearly knocked the runners head off.
We have people who can cover kicks without risking our overall team strength.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Kickoff coverage used to be a real weak spot for us, but isn't now. I remember thinking last year how odd it was that Drake and Henry both were on kick teams. We did have a little more depth at RB last year, though.

chris

All-SEC
May 17, 2001
loxley,al. 36551
I'm with the head man on this one! Have your best out there,regardless of position they play. If a key player,such as KD,is hurt it's just another chance for someone else,Harris,Scarborough,etc; to step up. We play to win the game! RTR!!!:BigA:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm with the head man on this one! Have your best out there,regardless of position they play. If a key player,such as KD,is hurt it's just another chance for someone else,Harris,Scarborough,etc; to step up. We play to win the game! RTR!!!:BigA:
Hey Chris. Are you still calling in to that sports radio program? I don't listen to it much these days, not sure if you are still a regular.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
When you step on the field you can get injured. It happened, it could have happened on any play, but he still can participate if we get involved in the postseason.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Would it have been any better had he gotten hurt while lined up at receiver or rb? ANY TIME YOU STEP ON THE FIELD IT CAN HAPPEN............. just ask Nick Chub.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
When you step on the field you can get injured. It happened, it could have happened on any play, but he still can participate if we get involved in the postseason.
This is true! Maybe coach Saban shouldn't have been coaching yesterday, he got injured.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
This is true! Maybe coach Saban shouldn't have been coaching yesterday, he got injured.
Did a trainer ever come over to give him some Polysporin ointment and a band aid? The Bama B got 9 sacs on Dak and one on the sideline. That is one tough bunch! I think they should be called the Goods, Bads, and the Uglies as a group of awesome defenders.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'll say this now:

Henry and other starters has been on kickoff/ Punt coverage teams this year... we're not only one who does that. We want the best players on the field... Football is football. It was a fluke play by Drake...

Drake is grateful that his season isn't over. I think in my opinion Drake is back for Auburn game..... But I rather him to sit and play in SEC championship.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Our key running backs have no business covering kick offs. I mean, seriously. What are we thinking?
I agree with you mostly. However, when you force your offensive skill players to learn how to properly tackle and they get experience doing it, you are less likely to have situations like what happened with Denard Robinson in the 2012 game or Mississippi State's receiver in the last game.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Not arguing with CNS but with all the 4 and 5 star folks we got on the roster, surely we can dig up 10 folks for kickoff and punt coverage?

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Our key running backs have no business covering kick offs. I mean, seriously. What are we thinking?
I think the main think Saban is doing is making Special Teams participation a point of pride and honor on the team. If only the best players make special team, that is something I would work hard to be a part of. Injuries suck, but they happen.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I had no problem with him playing special teams. It's a play in the game just as important as the rest. Folks complained about our kick coverage breakdowns. Well that's why we've got folks like Drake playing those spots.

If he gets hurt on offense what's the difference?

rollweezytide

Nov 13, 2015
Any chance Griffith has been directed to place the kickoff at the goal line? Our kick coverage is very strong this year and we can stop teams well before the 25 yard line. Not to mention an extra opportunity to force a fumble/momentum play (think LSU). Many kicks were going into the end zone earlier this season but not as of late which makes me think it is intentional. But yeah an extra opportunity for injuries is the down side

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If Drake makes an NFL team, his special teams play may play an important role. He made that tackle, it cost him, but it was a great play on his part. Trying to remember the linebacker that never came back after a goal line stopping play on the Bama south endzone. Going down while making a play is classic Drake. I will remember him for that. Great day when he is back on the sideline in uniform for us.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.