On Kenyan Drake's injury: I've had it...

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Happened back in high school. I could resume most activities within 3 weeks. Now, one of my activities was not labeled "carrying the ball against Florida in the SEC Championship Game," but I suffered no long-term issues. I would expect Drake to be out for CSU and AU, maybe back on special teams for Florida, then 100 percent by the time the final four gets rolling.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Happened back in high school. I could resume most activities within 3 weeks. Now, one of my activities was not labeled "carrying the ball against Florida in the SEC Championship Game," but I suffered no long-term issues. I would expect Drake to be out for CSU and AU, maybe back on special teams for Florida, then 100 percent by the time the final four gets rolling.
I haven't heard the specific damage yet. It varies widely. Liz's required pinning and several weeks. My broken wrist involved the scaphoid bone and meant six months in a case. Joel, whom you know, with the same bone break, required an eventual bone graft. I had no idea that there was detailed info on the damage yet...

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
They're saying 3 weeks from what I've heard. Hopefully that is the case, but I'm not sure he'll be ready to carry the ball that quickly.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
It was a seriously fluky play. You're much more likely to get hurt in other ways, but I have very mixed feelings about the ST rosters.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They're saying 3 weeks from what I've heard. Hopefully that is the case, but I'm not sure he'll be ready to carry the ball that quickly.
That would have to be a simple ulnar or radial fracture, without involving the small bones of the wrist. That would be a lucky break. (pun not intended) Playing back my mental tape, the returner's shin contacted KD's forearm at least 4" or so above the wrist, so that argues for simple ulnar or radial break. Sure hope so...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
That's been an ongoing argument. CNS' position is that ST requires the best teams on the field...
Maybe so Earle, but I'd have defensive backs and linebackers out there, not a critical ingredient in my offense. I hope I'm wrong, but I think that one play will hurt us in the long run. We're not deep at the running back position.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I certainly thought it would be worse on tape, but I am still scarred from his injury last year,so probably not the most unbiased evaluator.

Sent from my Xperia Z1 Compact using Tapatalk

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I broke my left wrist when I was nine and my right wrist at ten years old, both while playing football. I think it took six weeks to heal both times. I didn't have state of the art medical care like he does. My wrist also felt weak for a few weeks afterwards. Drake is a better man than me, though.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Maybe so Earle, but I'd have defensive backs and linebackers out there, not a critical ingredient in my offense. I hope I'm wrong, but I think that one play will hurt us in the long run. We're not deep at the running back position.
Saban explained it in his presser. Drake was in because of all of the injuries to WRs. There is a serious speed requirement for that particular role to be successful. I guess Drake is faster and more capable than the DBs that are not in on special teams. We will find out next week.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Our key running backs have no business covering kick offs. I mean, seriously. What are we thinking?

It is laughable for civilians like us to be questioning this coaching staff. That said, it is hard to believe we don't have other players who could do special teams almost as well. If we had what is considered our normal depth at RB it would be understandable. In view of our current situation at his position, having KD cover kicks is hard to understand.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
That's been an ongoing argument. CNS' position is that ST requires the best teams on the field...
FWIW, at Florida we have been using Vernon Hargreaves III as a kickoff returner and he's considered to be one of the best defensive backs in college football....maybe even our #1 player! So far no injuries...knock on wood!

Not too surprising I guess, given CJM's employment history. :)

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I haven't heard the specific damage yet. It varies widely. Liz's required pinning and several weeks. My broken wrist involved the scaphoid bone and meant six months in a case. Joel, whom you know, with the same bone break, required an eventual bone graft. I had no idea that there was detailed info on the damage yet...
My son broke his scaphoid in the 6th grade and was in a hard cast for 6 weeks and a brace for 3 weeks. It's a difficult bone to heal. Hope it's not that bone.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Our key running backs have no business covering kick offs. I mean, seriously. What are we thinking?
It seems like every year, you and a lot of other people are screaming "FIRE BOBBY WILLIAMS!!!" because of poor special teams play, but when the coaches put the best players on the field and make our S/T a weapon, people criticize the coaches for having stars out there.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Lol when I first clicked the thread I was half expecting a rant about how Drake needs to stop hurting himself. "I've had it" haha

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I am in the group that does not believe CBW is a good special teams coach. I believe we use our best athletes to cover kicks to mask coaching deficiencies in this area. I have no issue with using key players as returners, but flying downfield on suicide squad? Nope, I think we are unique in that, and not in a good way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.