How should an American Christian respond to ISIS?

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
Would you feel perfectly safe if these refugees were moved into your neighborhood? If you cannot say yes with confidence and you still support this move you love your ideology more than your country.
http://www.breitbart.com/national-se...53-christians/

And if you actually know and follow scripture, that is exactly the correct priority.

When asked what were the greatest commandments, Jesus said: "Love your God with all your heart and all your mind and all your strength, and love your neighbor as yourself".

If you approach this refugee question from a Christian perspective, the overwhelming body of evidence from the New Testament (and the old, actually) is you admit them, pray for them, and witness to them about Christ.

Next subject: I cant believe there is serious thought given in this thread to the idea of dropping a nuclear bomb on Syria, or anywhere else! Are you people so impatient for the End Times that you need to kick start them?

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I just thought I'd add this.
When using statistics from various sources.
The European Union Terrorism Situation and Trend Report for 2014 has this gem:
European Union (EU) Member States reported no terrorist attacks specifically classified as religiously inspired terrorism for the 2013 period. However, in at least two attacks, the role of religious radicalisation appears to be evident. On 22 May 2013, an off-duty British army soldier was murdered in the vicinity of army barracks in Woolwich, London (UK). The attackers initially used a car to run him over, before repeatedly stabbing him with bladed weapons.
You probably remember the British soldier who was stabbed to death. The perps then stood over the body and faced the camera to give an muslim rant. According to the British government, this was not "religiously inspired terrorism." This makes me wonder what would be required for the British government to actually classify an attack as "religiously inspired terrorism."

As I said earlier, "caveat lector."

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-homeless-20151117-story.html

"With an estimated 26,000 people calling Los Angeles sidewalks, cars and storm drains home, city officials on Tuesday approved an expanded campaign to help the homeless this winter"

I don't know how many of the homeless are illegals, Americans, veterans, or what race.....I do know we seem to have our own "refugees" who need help. The cost to American taxpayers in bringing in thousands of Syrians will be enormous and at the expense of those who need it here. The cost in additional surveillance and security for every large gathering is immeasurable. The cost to America's lost freedom, as a consequence, will be heartbreaking. It already is.

But, Gr8, we have to spend that money on protecting soft targets whether or not we admit these refugees. And, what I'm after in this thread is the moral answer to the question.

We are called to follow certain rules and standards if we are Christians. God won't allow us to parse and justify and rationalize about questions as clear as this. What does the Bible say? Love your neighbor. Help the poor. Protect the children.

There are always plenty of good reasons NOT to do the right thing...

tidegrandpa

All-American
I just thought I'd add this.
When using statistics from various sources.
The European Union Terrorism Situation and Trend Report for 2014 has this gem:

You probably remember the British soldier who was stabbed to death. The perps then stood over the body and faced the camera to give an muslim rant. According to the British government, this was not "religiously inspired terrorism." This makes me wonder what would be required for the British government to actually classify an attack as "religiously inspired terrorism."

As I said earlier, "caveat lector."
In the South Texas county I live, 62% 'Hispanic' population per 2014 Census estimate; check the race assigned to the top ten crime stoppers mugs.......

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
But, Gr8, we have to spend that money on protecting soft targets whether or not we admit these refugees. And, what I'm after in this thread is the moral answer to the question.

We are called to follow certain rules and standards if we are Christians. God won't allow us to parse and justify and rationalize about questions as clear as this. What does the Bible say? Love your neighbor. Help the poor. Protect the children.

Bob, I know your heart is in the right place but I feel you do not understand the gravity of the dangers of letting these people come into our country, free to go anywhere they want without the ability to properly vet them.
Please do some research on what they are doing to Germany and Sweden. I believe you will have a new understanding of my points.
Charity and even the ability to survive will not be available for anyone if the means of support are destroyed. Muslims are determined to convert the world or destroy it. The Bible says nothing about joining a suicide pact. In fact, it says we must fight against evil. Are all refugee evil? No. I still won't be in favor of risking the innocent lives of others to assuage the guilty feelings of others who need to justify their lot in life if it is better than others.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

and as we are seeing in this thread and around the news, there are alot of bad reasons mixed in with those good reasons. and it seems like the conclusion is always the same, don't do the right thing.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
and as we are seeing in this thread and around the news, there are alot of bad reasons mixed in with those good reasons. and it seems like the conclusion is always the same, don't do the right thing.

So, who gets to decide what "the right thing" is?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I get it - and I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but rather asking to make a point - how many homeless people and foster children do you currently house? We have a tremendous amount of need right here in our own back yard, and while I agree with your thoughts, I wonder what we're doing to help those in need that are already here before trying to take o even more need.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Would you feel perfectly safe if these refugees were moved into your neighborhood? If you cannot say yes with confidence and you still support this move you love your ideology more than your country.
http://www.breitbart.com/national-se...53-christians/

And if you actually know and follow scripture, that is exactly the correct priority.

When asked what were the greatest commandments, Jesus said: "Love your God with all your heart and all your mind and all your strength, and love your neighbor as yourself".

If you approach this refugee question from a Christian perspective, the overwhelming body of evidence from the New Testament (and the old, actually) is you admit them, pray for them, and witness to them about Christ.
I would struggle with this one as I would undoubtedly be unable to separate my love for my country for freeloaders who will suck up social services and tax dollars that could otherwise be used to improve our infrastructure or help veterans.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
So, who gets to decide what "the right thing" is?
well, since the original thread title was asking about american christian response to this, i would think that jesus would have at least a say in the matter. outside of bobstod's posts, that really isn't a factor in any of the posts.

also, the world has long seen the moral "rightness" of helping refugees and we (along with many in europe) seem to want to walk away from that.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Bob, you are, from a theological perspective, correct. The "admit and proselytize" approach might get some pushback from the Left, however. In the absence of that proselytization, this might amount to admitting a population, a significant portion of which would be willing to use western charity, liberty and hospitality as an opportunity to attack their hosts and benefactors. Admission without some explicit adoption of premises of western society (i.e. that your relationship between yourself and God is between you and God, not a matter of state) is a recipe for more events like last Friday in Paris, the bombing of an civilian airplane in the Sinai, the Boston Marathon Bombers, the Charlie Hebdo killings, the 7-7-2005 bombings in London, the Madrid Train bombing, etc., etc.
Next subject: I cant believe there is serious thought given in this thread to the idea of dropping a nuclear bomb on Syria, or anywhere else! Are you people so impatient for the End Times that you need to kick start them?
On this we agree. The one thing the Middle East does not need is a nuclear weapon.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I get it - and I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but rather asking to make a point - how many homeless people and foster children do you currently house? We have a tremendous amount of need right here in our own back yard, and while I agree with your thoughts, I wonder what we're doing to help those in need that are already here before trying to take o even more need.
to just make another point, how much overlap is there between those not wanting to let muslims in because muslim are apparently inherently bad, and those who see those who need help in this country as freeloading moochers.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
outside of bobstod's posts, that really isn't a factor in any of the posts.
I disagree with your assessment. Certainly there are those who aren't thinking in that manner, but following Jesus takes some discernment. Just as Jesus didn't heal everyone who crossed his path, we have to have discernment in how we handle situations.

My family is very involved in helping the needy in our city - there's tons of need here and the system is already overwhelmed. Taking on thousands more is a dicey call. And it's why i said earlier in the the thread that I'm just worrying about God working on my heart as what I want or think is right doesn't matter when most everyone has to be on board to make the situation work.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I don't care what political leanings you may have or where your heart and mind are, but to me this seems the right thing to do:

http://dailysignal.com/2015/11/17/w...ok&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=thffacebook

Serious problems exist with screening individuals, but rather than shut down the refugee system because of the potential risk, these requirements should be followed to keep Americans safe:
  • Making intelligence-based risk assessments.
  • Consulting with Congress on how to alleviate those risks.
  • Dealing with the chaos in Syria that is causing this problem.
  • Following the law without executive overreach.
  • Focusing refugee efforts on individuals on whom we have intelligence and information or can acquire it relatively easily.
These steps do not stem from irrational fears, but are legitimate concerns with vetting individuals from areas like Syria.
The goal should not be to shut down legitimate humanitarian operations, but to ensure they are done in a responsible manner. This does not mean that security concerns are abandoned—far from it.We should seek to further all U.S. national interests by keeping the homeland secure and helping those who are persecuted.
Conversely, what we should not do is believe that simply taking refugees is a solution to the problem.
Refugee programs are an emergency measure to protect those “persecuted or have a credible fear of persecution based on their religion, race, political beliefs, or membership in a social group.”
They are not a substitute for a policy that deals with the source of instability. Part of the great dissatisfaction with the Obama administration is the general belief that it has no plan on how to deal with the root causes of the conflict.
What we need is for our national leaders to take a deep breath and start acting responsibly. It is important that the U.S. system remain different from the open door Europe is extending to the current surge of migrants and refugees.
Europe is letting people enter without vetting and then maybe vetting them later once they reach their final destination. Under American law, U.S. officials must vet first. That can’t change.
A reasoned and compassionate approach. That would be nice for a change.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I disagree with your assessment. Certainly there are those who aren't thinking in that manner, but following Jesus takes some discernment. Just as Jesus didn't heal everyone who crossed his path, we have to have discernment in how we handle situations.

My family is very involved in helping the needy in our city - there's tons of need here and the system is already overwhelmed. Taking on thousands more is a dicey call. And it's why i said earlier in the the thread that I'm just worrying about God working on my heart as what I want or think is right doesn't matter when most everyone has to be on board to make the situation work.
i understand what you are saying. my point is that i don't think jesus' commandments/instructions to help those in need have limitations based on how much you have already helped folks in need. i know that sounds glib, and please don't take it as a slight, it is not meant that way. i am just trying to delve into what a christian response to this situation would be.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I don't care what political leanings you may have or where your heart and mind are, but to me this seems the right thing to do:

http://dailysignal.com/2015/11/17/w...ok&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=thffacebook

A reasoned and compassionate approach. That would be nice for a change.
Let Russia deal with Syria. If Syrians don't like what's going on in their country then they can stay and effect change. We can't continually play "savior" to every country that has internal strife, much less take in their masses. We've for far too long tried to play king maker around the world. Most recently, in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Egypt and now Syria. Its not our fight and its not our place to take in these people. Sorry. "Christian" or not, sometimes you just have to say "No."

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

They can be helped without admitting them to the Unitd States. In fact, everything you want to accomplish could be accomplished outside our borders.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
i understand what you are saying. my point is that i don't think jesus' commandments/instructions to help those in need have limitations based on how much you have already helped folks in need. i know that sounds glib, and please don't take it as a slight, it is not meant that way. i am just trying to delve into what a christian response to this situation would be.
Oh, I get it. And I tend to agree. But the reality is I'm not going to request our government bring in thousands of more people in need when we're not already caring for those in need that are here (nor will petition them to keep them out). My response is simply that I'll continue to work to help those in need, regardless as to where they are from, but like so many other subjects, I'm not going to involve the government as there aren't enough people willing to help those already here. I can only control what I can do.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.