How should an American Christian respond to ISIS?

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
What is the proper response for an American Christian to Radical Islam?

The Paris attacks have forced me to come to a better understanding of what I actually feel as a Christian and an American with regard to what is going on in Syria and Iraq; and what has now spread to many other nations and resulted in millions of displaced persons.
Pretty much all my life I have believed that people have the right to believe whatever they want about eternal questions. I saw Islam as a choice people made because of their geographical or cultural roots, and it was OK with me for them to believe whatever that meant.
Being largely ignorant of the basic tenets of Mohammad’s philosophy, ‘Live and let live’ seemed a fitting response, both as an American and as a Christian.
As things in the Near East climbed more and more into the headlines, and I was forced to learn more about the geography, culture, and history of that region, it was troubling. The plight of Israel had been known to me for long years, ever since I read Leon Uris’s books as a young man. The Iran hostage situation occurred while I was an active duty Navy pilot, and after 9/11 we all began to know much more about Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Middle East.
I was totally supportive the invasion of Iraq by the senior President Bush, and totally against it when his son sidestepped into that country when he should have gone after Al Queda in Afghanistan. But that still seemed like a small group of zealots who could be eventually eliminated.
Bombings and shootings in those countries seemed like tribal squabbles between religious sects that had no connection to or significance in my life.
Then along comes Syria and Assad and that civil war and my response was ‘Stay the hell away from that complicated situation!" We had already wasted trillions of dollars and thousands of American lives with virtually nothing positive to show for it.
But that spawned ISIS, and ISIS seems to embody all that is evil about the Koran and Islam. I began to change slowly as the news reports came in. I supported the idea of combat air support, and thought arming the Kurds was a good idea, since they seemed the only effective force that opposed ISIS. I still struggled with the idea of sending American troops into that maelstrom, because I didn’t see a clear way to win. Didn’t know what ‘winning’ really meant there.
Now with these attacks in Paris, I am brought to a point where I feel that I have to clarify my thinking and better understand the right moral and political stance that befits a committed Christian and a loyal American. I’m posting this to solicit your opinions on that.
Can we contain or even eradicate ISIS? Should we? Is the response of Islamic nations and religious leaders adequate? Where do they really stand? Can America afford another costly war over there in that hotbed of 14[SUP]th[/SUP] century tribal warfare?
Who is best qualified to lead us in answering these questions?

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Re: How shoud an American Christian respond to ISIS?

Good questions with no easy answer. As an individual Christian, we have a responsibility to love our enemies. As a nation, we have a responsibility to protect our citizens. I'm not exactly sure how I feel but I wish we had a more secure border.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

"A shepherd must tend his flock. And at times, fight off the wolves."
Rene Auberjonois- (Reverend Oliver -The Patriot)

Imo that also goes for every patriotic citizen. He/she must do what is expected of them as a Christians. But when their fellow Christians, and their way of life, are being attacked then it becomes necessary for them to stand up and face down that evil until the threat, or the forces behind it, are eliminated.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Bob, good to see you again.
Saint Augustine and Saint Thomas Aquinas are good guides.
St. Augustine: If doing nothing results in a greater evil, it is okay for a Christian to fight.
St. Thomas Aquinas. For a war to be just, it must:
1. Be conducted by constituted authority (I personally cannot go out on my own a fight a just war).
2. Have a just purpose (righting some wrong, restoring some good that has been lost or taken).
3. Have the restoration of peace as the ultimate objective.

Jus gentium has added other things like:
a. Combatants must be identifiable as combatants.
b. Combatants must use morally acceptable means and operate within legal limits, discriminating insofar as possible, engaging combatants and not harming non-combatants.

ISIS fails at (A) and (B) and probably at (1).

Bottom line, I have no problem fighting ISIS. I had hoped that bombing and supporting folks on the ground who were willing to fight would suffice. That has failed and will probably continue to fail. One of the first things the French talked about Friday night (I was listening to Radio France International) was "What do the Americans say? What will the Americans do?" America has to lead this effort, although nobody in DC (America?) really wants to. There simply is no substitute to American leadership. That does not mean this is America's problem to solve, but we have been too passive for too long and the world is suffering for that passivity. Time to lead.
This ISIS attack was in Paris, the next one could easily be in LA or NY or DC.

Last edited:

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
My simple minded answer is to pray for those who are sent to kill them before they kill innocents.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I spend a lot of time praying that God doesn't allow me to harden my heart, because man, it sure is easy to allow anger to turn things on their head.

I'm just thankful I don't have to answer the question as to what we as a country should do - I don't envy that decision.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
It makes me a bad Christian and one day my Lord will judge me for it but, I hate Islam. That religion needs to be outlawed and eliminated.

You won't have to worry about sending troops anywhere because the fight is coming here. Obama just dropped off the first 10,000 in New Orleans with plans to bring in 100,000 more each of the next 2 years. Never seen this country so willing to open it's borders to our enemy. But hey, this is what all the young college kids want, never offend anyone, never say no to anyone.

Like I said, guess this makes me a bad Christian.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
I spend a lot of time praying that God doesn't allow me to harden my heart, because man, it sure is easy to allow anger to turn things on their head.

I'm just thankful I don't have to answer the question as to what we as a country should do - I don't envy that decision.
For the professional soldier, killing the enemy has nothing to do with anger. Neither does it take away from his/her religious beliefs. Many soldiers (sailors, airmen, marines, etc.) attend church services and worship just as do civilians.
Neither are their hearts hardened. They are not monsters. They fill a profession necessary to the freedom of our nation. Hence when an evil threatens our nation, or our freedoms, it must be eliminated, and it is the job of the professional soldier to do so.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
It makes me a bad Christian and one day my Lord will judge me for it but, I hate Islam. That religion needs to be outlawed and eliminated.

You won't have to worry about sending troops anywhere because the fight is coming here. Obama just dropped off the first 10,000 in New Orleans with plans to bring in 100,000 more each of the next 2 years. Never seen this country so willing to open it's borders to our enemy. But hey, this is what all the young college kids want, never offend anyone, never say no to anyone.

I wonder if they will be offended when their own colleges or universities are attacked. What's more, I wonder if they will regret their own desires to bring that enemy here onto our own soil.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com

Don't confuse the message with the radical messengers...Islam is a concept, a religion...it is people that choose to do the things that are happening, and that deserve our "undivided attention", and assistance in learning the repercussions for the errors of their misguided ways.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

The City of New Orleans emphatically denies this. The report was that 3 families had completed the paperwork to seek asylum. Not sure who to believe, but I find it hard to believe that we can get 10,000 people into this country basically unnoticed.

But, I agree with you. I hate Islam and I hate radicals. In any religion, the radicals are the dangerous ones.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I think that justice should be served to any people group that kills innocent people in the name of Islam. We are talking about radical people of the Islamic faith. As an Amercan, my blood boils and as a Christian, my blood boils. We love people but if they are trying to hurt us, I do not think God would be offended if we defend ourselves against all enemies.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
For the professional soldier, killing the enemy has nothing to do with anger. Neither does it take away from his/her religious beliefs. Many soldiers (sailors, airmen, marines, etc.) attend church services and worship just as do civilians.
Neither are their hearts hardened. They are not monsters. They fill a profession necessary to the freedom of our nation. Hence when an evil threatens our nation, or our freedoms, it must be eliminated, and it is the job of the professional soldier to do so.
I wasn't talking about a soldier, nor was I speaking about how I would react if I felt the need to protect myself or those I love.

I'm simply answering the OP - how should the American Christian respond. Right now, i'm just trying not to let my anger and disgust get the better of me.

tidegrandpa

All-American
I wasn't talking about a soldier, nor was I speaking about how I would react if I felt the need to protect myself or those I love.

I'm simply answering the OP - how should the American Christian respond. Right now, i'm just trying not to let my anger and disgust get the better of me.
You don't hate your enemy, you destroy their ability to inflict pain on the innocent ones you love.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I think that justice should be served to any people group that kills innocent people in the name of Islam. We are talking about radical people of the Islamic faith. As an Amercan, my blood boils and as a Christian, my blood boils. We love people but if they are trying to hurt us, I do not think God would be offended if we defend ourselves against all enemies.
You need to pray for them, feed them, clothe them, and then to protect your loved ones you send them to Paradise ASAP.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA

Hey Tidewater. Good to see you again as well. God bless you, and thank you for your very cogent post. A part of me just wants to kill them all as quickly as possible, but I know that's not the whole answer, and I doubt it is even possible. Your guidance on a Just War was very welcome and also very helpful to me as I struggle with how to figure out my own proper stance.
I think America does have to lead any military effort to roll ISIS back and deny them places to train more terrorists, and stop their murdering; but I strongly feel that such an effort has to include commitment from some Islamic states in the region as well as European allies.
Thanks for you valuable reply...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.