Eddie Lacy now second best runningback on Packers team?

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
no doubt. he still moves well for his size. Amazing how bad that Packers offense looks. i mean, every position looks bad. They had some losses at WR over the course of the year but it's not like they are anywhere near the Patriots situation at WR...they look like the 49rs out there. taking nothing away from the Cards of course.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The kicker for me was when Palmer had that one interception and the Pack had a chance to get a score in the red zone and Rodgers throws an interception. Who in their right mind throws a pass in the red zone when you have someone like Eddie Lacy?

Maddening......of course my team is the Dolphins so for all you Packer fans.....it could be worse - trust me!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Certainly Eddie deserves some criticism for coming in out of shape this year. The o-line was also pretty beat up most of the year as well. The average career length of a running back in the NFL is only about 3 years so Eddie needs to decide how committed he is to trying to sustain his career. And part of that is a dedicated off season program.

We all know that NFL stands for "Not For Long"....

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Maybe it's because I'm used to seeing DH leave DB's in the dust, but Eddie looked slow when he broke into the open field Sunday. I hope he drops weight in the off season and comes back in the best physical condition of his life. The guy still has what it takes to be a great back in the NFL.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Maybe it's because I'm used to seeing DH leave DB's in the dust, but Eddie looked slow when he broke into the open field Sunday. I hope he drops weight in the off season and comes back in the best physical condition of his life. The guy still has what it takes to be a great back in the NFL.
I noticed that too. At the end of the run he had that look on his face like "Pleaseeeee tackle me. I'm about out of gas...."

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
It's a contract year for Eddie. He's got money on the table if he prepares and plays like he needs to.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As an NFL player, taking care of your body and ensuring you are at peak physical condition is a no-brainer to me. Just as I can't wrap my head around college players blowing their chances messing with drugs, I will never understand an elite athlete allowing themselves to show up at anything less than peak physical condition. SMH

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As an NFL player, taking care of your body and ensuring you are at peak physical condition is a no-brainer to me. Just as I can't wrap my head around college players blowing their chances messing with drugs, I will never understand an elite athlete allowing themselves to show up at anything less than peak physical condition. SMH
Agree with this, but there was no need for his head coach to call him out in public. Tell Lacy what is expected, provide a trainer if you are that worried about it, but this is locker room stuff that doesn't belong in the media. This tells me that McCarthy is a lot more upset with Lacy than we thought.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
eddie had the double whammy of coming in out of shape and then getting hurt.

I'm the kind of guy who can gain a pound just looking at a donut and eddie may be the same way, so if he's hurt and can't work out properly he balloons up.

next year is critical for him and if he shows up in shape he can get another deal for enough money to be set for life...or he can show up out of shape and end up out of the league.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I hope Eddie can get his weight down and get back into the shape he was in during the NC game vs Notre Dame. If Eddie takes care of his body he'll be in the discussion as one of the best running backs in the league. If not he may find himself without an opportunity to play..

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Agree with this, but there was no need for his head coach to call him out in public. Tell Lacy what is expected, provide a trainer if you are that worried about it, but this is locker room stuff that doesn't belong in the media. This tells me that McCarthy is a lot more upset with Lacy than we thought.
I agree. I think McCarthy is very upset with him, and I think it's because he knows how valuable Lacy can be when he is in top form. This is a year when they really needed him, and he kind of dropped the ball. It was really all on Aaron Rodger's shoulders. When they lost Jordy Nelson and had no other dependable threats throughout the year it would have been great to take some pressure off of Rodger's by being able to hand off to a dependable Eddie Lacy...but he wasn't able to do that. They thought they could count on him because of his previous successful seasons but he just seemed to take his foot off the pedal for a moment. He needs to keep a picture of Trent Richardson in his locker to remind him of how quickly things can go south for a RB.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm betting this isn't the first time this issue has been brought up with Lacy, and it's to the point that McCarthy is using the media to put extra pressure on him.

The average NFL career for a RB is 2.5 years, according to the NFLPA. There's zero excuse (and frankly, virtually zero margin for error) for RBs in the NFL. Again, this is akin to a college football star being busted smoking weed - you have the rest of your life to smoke weed (or get fat) - take the job seriously, or you'll have the job for an even shorter time than the average RB, which isn't long at all...

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I'm betting this isn't the first time this issue has been brought up with Lacy, and it's to the point that McCarthy is using the media to put extra pressure on him.

The average NFL career for a RB is 2.5 years, according to the NFLPA. There's zero excuse (and frankly, virtually zero margin for error) for RBs in the NFL. Again, this is akin to a college football star being busted smoking weed - you have the rest of your life to smoke weed (or get fat) - take the job seriously, or you'll have the job for an even shorter time than the average RB, which isn't long at all...
Agreed. If part of the job description includes taking care of you body - do your job and take care of your body.

Honestly he may have just thought he could compete at that effort level. False. Put in the work and he's a cut above most defenses...but nothing less than that will be good enough.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm just going to assume that keeping Lacy under control with his eating habits was probably a constant battle for the support staff. I've seen people online posting screen caps of some admittedly humorous old tweets from Eddie about food while he was here.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I'd agree with you most of the time. I don't ever remember McCarthy calling a player out in public before, but I'm not that big of an NFL fan. If this is the exception, McCarthy may be just trying to make absolutely certain Eddie knows he means business. As McCarthy stated, the problem is obvious.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.