Eddie Lacy now second best runningback on Packers team?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I wonder what his playing weight was at the end of the season? 260ish? I think the 235 lb range would be his optimal playing weight. It shouldn't be that hard to lose 25 lbs especially considering all the resources he has at his disposal. I'm sure he could come back to Alabama and Cochran would get him on the right path again. It has to be his choice though. He has to want to be helped..

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Maybe it's because I'm used to seeing DH leave DB's in the dust, but Eddie looked slow when he broke into the open field Sunday. I hope he drops weight in the off season and comes back in the best physical condition of his life. The guy still has what it takes to be a great back in the NFL.
And how about his classic spin move at the end of a similar run versus the Redskins...slow motion would be a generous characterization.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I think the reason we are all commenting on this thread is because of what we see in this video. Eddie has got the GOODS. He's got a great combination of vision, quickness, UNREAL balance and top tier strength. He won't run away from most people but he makes the right decision so quickly that after he decides to hit the hole he is often 7 yards downfield before a defender can get after him.

I think this video hi-lights what Eddie needs to get back to. This is the 2014 season. It says he's at 230 lbs here but he even looks a bit heavier than he did in his rookie season...even though statistically he was more productive in 2014.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
What motivates our former running backs?

I've been pondering this awhile now, given Trent's situation and now Lacy too.

It seems to me there are several potential motivations for a college back to want to be a pro player. 1) Personal satisfaction 2) financial gain 3) glory, being a star.

I imagine it's a combination of all of the above.
What I keep coming back to...surely financial gain is a very high priority for a college player. Well, after signing on as a pro, with an enormous sighing bonus...that could well check that box as done. Nevermind what they might continue to make as a durable, long term workhorse.

I understand the argument that football players are traditionally poor money managers and can never make enough to stay out of the poor house in their senior years...but I just can't see that. There is such a thing as good money managers available for these guys.

My thinking is that once a guy has ten or fifteen million in the bank, then he's down to being motivated by personal satisfaction and accolades from everybody, or in short, glory. Which is fine, I'm not trying to say anything negative here.

The point I'm getting at is, when a star running back poops out in the pros after a relatively short career, his college fans are prone to consider him a bust, or failure. The way I see it, instead, we have a young man sitting on a very nice bank account before he's even 25 years old...perhaps he doesn't want to persevere and diet and work out like crazy to get even more money or personal glory.

Glen Coffee comes to mind. He tapped the pros for his due, then decided to go in a different direction. I'm very proud of what he has done with his life since then.

If you've made it this far into this post, please excuse the long, rambling nature... but it is the off season again...

All this is to say if I signed a big bonus and then was expected to stay in top shape and bust my tail year after year and perhaps sacrifice my health in my later years, I might get a little fat and lazy.

But what I think nobody could argue with...when these guys are still in college, hungry for fame and money...Saban knows how to tune them up and get them in top form.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
What motivates our former running backs?

I've been pondering this awhile now, given Trent's situation and now Lacy too.

It seems to me there are several potential motivations for a college back to want to be a pro player. 1) Personal satisfaction 2) financial gain 3) glory, being a star.

I imagine it's a combination of all of the above.
What I keep coming back to...surely financial gain is a very high priority for a college player. Well, after signing on as a pro, with an enormous sighing bonus...that could well check that box as done. Nevermind what they might continue to make as a durable, long term workhorse.

I understand the argument that football players are traditionally poor money managers and can never make enough to stay out of the poor house in their senior years...but I just can't see that. There is such a thing as good money managers available for these guys.

My thinking is that once a guy has ten or fifteen million in the bank, then he's down to being motivated by personal satisfaction and accolades from everybody, or in short, glory. Which is fine, I'm not trying to say anything negative here.

The point I'm getting at is, when a star running back poops out in the pros after a relatively short career, his college fans are prone to consider him a bust, or failure. The way I see it, instead, we have a young man sitting on a very nice bank account before he's even 25 years old...perhaps he doesn't want to persevere and diet and work out like crazy to get even more money or personal glory.

Glen Coffee comes to mind. He tapped the pros for his due, then decided to go in a different direction. I'm very proud of what he has done with his life since then.

If you've made it this far into this post, please excuse the long, rambling nature... but it is the off season again...

All this is to say if I signed a big bonus and then was expected to stay in top shape and bust my tail year after year and perhaps sacrifice my health in my later years, I might get a little fat and lazy.

But what I think nobody could argue with...when these guys are still in college, hungry for fame and money...Saban knows how to tune them up and get them in top form.
There isn't a running back from Alabama that has 10 or 15 million in the bank. Trent had a contract worth $18 million guaranteed which after taxes and agent fees he probably saw about $8 million or so. Eddie Lacy's total contract value was worth $3.3 million. After living expenses, taxes and agent fees I doubt he has even $1 million in the bank. Ingram is probably doing the best money wise as he is on his second contract with the Saints. Just remember, when you hear these big number contracts in the NFL that most of the contract is not guaranteed and a big portion of the contract is incentive based. This isn't the NBA or MLB where every cent of the contract is guaranteed. Don't get me wrong these guys are still making a fortune compared to the average person but these guys (Ingram, Lacy, Richardson) are NOT set for life based on what they have made in the NFL so far. The financial motive should still be very strong for all 3 of them..

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Agree with this, but there was no need for his head coach to call him out in public. Tell Lacy what is expected, provide a trainer if you are that worried about it, but this is locker room stuff that doesn't belong in the media. This tells me that McCarthy is a lot more upset with Lacy than we thought.
McCarthy needs to be a lot more upset with himself than with any member of his football team, even an overweight, underperforming Eddie Lacy. A little honest self-evaluation from the head coach might be helpful in turning things around at Lambeau. After all, Lacy for all his misdeeds, still runs like a ton of bricks, McCarthy stills coaches - and fulminates/bovine scatologizes - like a ton of...OK, you get the picture. McCarthy's won more than one playoff game at the end of the season only once in his 10-year-career, even though Green Bay's personnel shouts "perennial Super Bowl contender" and his "leadership" from my vantage is very much more in question than Lacy's future with the Packers.

This might be insightful (link) Is Mike McCarthy to blame for Packers' playoff failures? - and now I see he's fired the RB coach (the old Penn Stater Sam Gash) as more of the blame game for what's happened to Eddie Lacy (and maybe James Starks' sudden fumblitis and maybe even for John Kuuuuuuhn soon turning 34 years old).

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Me thinks Eddie is extremely prone to weight gain, and is going to have to work his arse off to drop 10 pounds, that extra 10 hurts his speed and balance. Even when overweight, you can see the greatness, and so can the Packers. Will be interesting to see what Eddie does going into a contract season. I suspect he will show up at camp in the 230 range, not 240's like this year. I have full confidence in him. That 10 lbs cost him a TD after a awesome spin move, reading blocks (crucial and he is good at), and then he looked like a tank bumbling down field and was caught from behind by several players. Was a 60 yard gain though.

Eddie has the ability to be the best or Good, and it all comes down to 10 to 12 lbs.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Eddie was overweight this year and it hurt his performance. And he didn't have a bad season when you consider he got himself benched multiple times.

Lacy has a shot at being as much of a "longterm" back as any back in the NFL. He's in an offense that will not abuse his body too much since they will toss it around a bunch with their great QB. He WILL NOT be in the NFL long without a commitment to his body. It may be a struggle for him but he's got to embrace it and earn his paychecks. He will not be with the Packers very long if he continues to ignore curfews and not make weight. I really hope he can find his way to Tuscaloosa this off-season and see if Coach Burns and Coach Saban can get him re-centered and motivated on the bottomline that is professional football.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Eddie was overweight this year and it hurt his performance. And he didn't have a bad season when you consider he got himself benched multiple times.

Lacy has a shot at being as much of a "longterm" back as any back in the NFL. He's in an offense that will not abuse his body too much since they will toss it around a bunch with their great QB. He WILL NOT be in the NFL long without a commitment to his body. It may be a struggle for him but he's got to embrace it and earn his paychecks. He will not be with the Packers very long if he continues to ignore curfews and not make weight. I really hope he can find his way to Tuscaloosa this off-season and see if Coach Burns and Coach Saban can get him re-centered and motivated on the bottomline that is professional football.
I think that would be a win win for Eddie and the program. He is a positive face to have around, that's for sure.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
McCarthy has apparently talked with Saban. In fact, apparently the benching was something McCarthy concocted after the talk. Saban said that sometimes you have to take away what he loves to get through to him. He loves the game but sometimes doesn't quite love putting in the work...at least that is the supposition I'm making on it.

I mean, we've had a lot of great players like that. Derrick Thomas was notorious about it but he figured it out when he got into the pros.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It's TMZ, but worth some merit I would think on Lacy and conditioning for next year

http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/REPORT-Eddie-Lacy-wants-to-train-with-P90X-creator--43165336
I saw the P90X guy say that he would help Lacy after the playoff game but I didn't think it would really happen. It may not happen but at least it's a possibility. I think it would be a very positive thing for Lacy and would provide a lot of exposure to the P90X training program. I hope Lacy takes him up on the offer..

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Me thinks Eddie is extremely prone to weight gain, and is going to have to work his arse off to drop 10 pounds, that extra 10 hurts his speed and balance. Even when overweight, you can see the greatness, and so can the Packers. Will be interesting to see what Eddie does going into a contract season. I suspect he will show up at camp in the 230 range, not 240's like this year. I have full confidence in him. That 10 lbs cost him a TD after a awesome spin move, reading blocks (crucial and he is good at), and then he looked like a tank bumbling down field and was caught from behind by several players. Was a 60 yard gain though.

Eddie has the ability to be the best or Good, and it all comes down to 10 to 12 lbs.
If Eddie is in the 240 range it is more like 249.9999999999999999999. LOL

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I saw the P90X guy say that he would help Lacy after the playoff game but I didn't think it would really happen. It may not happen but at least it's a possibility. I think it would be a very positive thing for Lacy and would provide a lot of exposure to the P90X training program. I hope Lacy takes him up on the offer..
I love P90X, but I suspect that Eddie's conditioning problems are more tied to his diet than his workouts. He needs to hire someone to prepare his meals.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.