Eddie Lacy now second best runningback on Packers team?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
First, then what are people disagreeing with me about? It was just an exchange back and forth with Audio and I, may be you guys missed some of it

And yes, I read the article, but I was speaking to the hypothetical. My response was in that chain the whole time though, I never claimed Eddie couldn't lose any weight from last season, not once... I did take a bit of an exception though when it was used to obscure his performance. May be benching him was the only way to get him to drop a few pounds, but he was never their second best running back.

To illustrate the other point I made, which might have been more distracting than anything else, here's what I as referring to.

In 2014 Eddie had 319 touches (combined pass receptions and rushes). He averaged 4.49 yards per touch. In 2016 he has only 207 touches, but he averaged 4.57 yards per touch. Now, he did have 11 TDs as a rookie and only 5 last year, but Starks accounted for 5 TDs so that explains most of that change. Point being, there was no radical change in his production.

All I was saying, was if they are not happy with his weight now, then there's more to it and the rest was to that point. The other part though, which is valid is that even a heavy Eddie is a productive back. I don't think it's in his makeup to become a skinny back though, he's a bigger slower back, period and if they want to change that about him then I think they're the ones in the wrong. Yes, his conditioning can improve, yes he could and did lose a few pounds but that point stands.
I posted another link that had more information and it sounded like it was taken out of context in the article I posted earlier.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
First, then what are people disagreeing with me about? It was just an exchange back and forth with Audio and I, may be you guys missed some of it

And yes, I read the article, but I was speaking to the hypothetical. My response was in that chain the whole time though, I never claimed Eddie couldn't lose any weight from last season, not once... I did take a bit of an exception though when it was used to obscure his performance. May be benching him was the only way to get him to drop a few pounds, but he was never their second best running back.

To illustrate the other point I made, which might have been more distracting than anything else, here's what I as referring to.

In 2014 Eddie had 319 touches (combined pass receptions and rushes). He averaged 4.49 yards per touch. In 2016 he has only 207 touches, but he averaged 4.57 yards per touch. Now, he did have 11 TDs as a rookie and only 5 last year, but Starks accounted for 5 TDs so that explains most of that change. Point being, there was no radical change in his production.

All I was saying with the continued conversation though, was if they are not happy with his weight now, then there's more to it and the rest was to that point. The other part though, which is valid is that even a heavy Eddie is a productive back. I don't think it's in his makeup to become a skinny back though, he's a bigger slower back, period and if they want to change that about him then I think they're the ones in the wrong. Yes, his conditioning can improve, yes he could and did lose a few pounds but that point stands.

Edit We'll see though. Will the Packers sign him to an extension? Will the weight complaints go away if he stays at his current weight? We'll find out right? But he lost weight on that we can all agree, he got in better shape as well apparently. So if that was the main problem and he keeps it up, there shouldn't be one going forward.
This (bold part above) is what people are disagreeing with you about. The Packers aren't happy or pleased with any of their players at this time of the year. The offeseason if for improvement not telling players how great they are. Nick Saban gives his standard message every offseason, paraphrasing, everybody on the team needs to improve. We aren't where we want to be. So, how's that any different from what McCarthy said? I think people disagree with you that there's an ulterior motive stemming from the Packers comments. Those comments are just SOP for this time of year.

I 100% agree with your last comments. Eddie has made an effort to lose weight and he's in better shape than this time last year. Hopefully Eddie has a monster season and gets a nice contract the following year..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I posted another link that had more information and it sounded like it was taken out of context in the article I posted earlier.
Well, it is easy enough to miss the context of things. I did read what he said, they were a bit ambiguous, but that's why I said "if", heh that is a qualifier. I had a bit of a bone to pick with the notion that Eddie wasn't still a quality productive back last year though so some of what I said kind of lead away from the context of a hypothetical.

Also, I did say this: "his weight didn't really change", which was a fairly subjective statements. I don't know how he weighed in each game, and I can see why someone would post a rookie year pick for comparison purposes (ok so sometimes I type too much for even myself to remember what all I said...) but I was trying (inadequately) to basically say the guy has had the same build the whole time. I just don't see his build as changing or needing to change, I do think he can have better conditioning.

This (bold part above) is what people are disagreeing with you about. The Packers aren't happy or pleased with any of their players at this time of the year. The offeseason if for improvement not telling players how great they are.
I understand that, I let things get a bit off track. Part of that is the fact that I had a little resentment towards Eddie's treatment. I understand he needed better conditioning, I wasn't happy with perception that he wasn't productive last year and I wasn't happy with the fact that is still stuck playing on a rookie contract despite never averaging below 4 YPC and helping win a lot of games for them. But that wasn't necessarily pertinent to the discussion of his weight.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
This is the crux of the article. If you think about all the players that don't meet their expectations, after leaving CNS and his "process", well, this is a microcosm of what happens when some are left to their own guidance.

Lacy's biggest issue, according to Horton, was his diet, which included apparently no healthy food and an excessive amount of alcohol.

"The other thing too was just getting his diet in order. The problem was caused because of a poor diet. That changed. He didn't know that healthy food could taste good. I cooked for him a lot of days. It's not that hard," Horton said. "You make some egg whites and throw some veggies in there. It's not rocket science. He was excited because he learned that you can make healthy food taste really good, so it's easier for him to be more consistent with it. In the past -- he's from New Orleans so there's a lot of really rich foods. He grew up with that. He's a crawfish fan.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This is the crux of the article. If you think about all the players that don't meet their expectations, after leaving CNS and his "process", well, this is a microcosm of what happens when some are left to their own guidance.
We've had players that left Program at Alabama and they don't know what to do with their diet. Trent Richardson and others. I think Saban probably made some change to make sure players are well versed in what they need to do when they go to NFL.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
IMO the ONLY thing that those clips can provide is insight into burst or speed. It would be difficult to judge vision and system knowledge or overall performance given the different levels in competition.

All the plays on display were successful plays by Eddie. The only thing being examined is the speed with which he moves across the field. In that regard, while not perfect, both videos are serviceable for comparisons. The complication of the schemes presented by both teams has little bearing on Lacy's physical limitations - so it is one way to do it, especially for fans who don't have access to some of the tools available to NFL teams.
So you're telling me that Notre dame fields a defense with elite college level athletes? It's not about scheme, it's about the horses running Eddie down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
It sounds like they are optimistic that he will hit his target goals by Training camp. I suspect he met the weight goals, but not the body fat percentage.
I don't know if there was a body fat percentage goal, but there may have been. Horton made a comment about Eddie's arms getting bigger which leads me to believe that he added muscle. When I read that, I immediately thought that he could have lost a lot of fat, but not have lost a lot of total weight. I'm guessing that Eddie could still be above whatever the weight goal was, but in tremendously better condition.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't know if there was a body fat percentage goal, but there may have been. Horton made a comment about Eddie's arms getting bigger which leads me to believe that he added muscle. When I read that, I immediately thought that he could have lost a lot of fat, but not have lost a lot of total weight. I'm guessing that Eddie could still be above whatever the weight goal was, but in tremendously better condition.
Good point. Muscle weighs more than fat.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Good picture there with Haha and Eddie. If Jordy Nelson is healthy this year Packers should make a deep run in the playoffs..

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Packers started camp today. Eddie's clearly staying in shape after getting in shape.

What a difference a year can make. A better diet I bet played a huge role. Eddie is my sons age, and I forget that sometimes. This image of Eddie is a reflection of his inside and the reason why a "smart" team drafted him. I am ready for football!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Good picture there with Haha and Eddie. If Jordy Nelson is healthy this year Packers should make a deep run in the playoffs..
Agreed. Unfortunately I just saw where Jordy is starting on the PUP list. He has tweaked his other knee. With a healthy in-shape Eddie and getting Jordy back makes the Pack a Super Bowl contender.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Head Coach Tweets on the attention. Sounds resolved.

McCarthy: Eddie is ready. I'm done talking about people's weight. I felt like I gave an honest answer (last time).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.